Family holiday ruined by racist tirade: 'This country is for white people only'

snoop1130

6 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Well that's no doubt the Pakeha view of things. If you were a Maori you might have a different view.

Certainly the NZ of my youth in the 1950s & 1960s was VERY racist. But of course they were convinced they weren't. "We're very proud of OUR Maoris." I remember my father having a discussion with one of my mother's brothers about 'What would you do if your daughter came home with a Maori?'. I have a BIL there still who's an out-&-proud-&-loud racist ... I could tell many tales.

Of course, as others have commented, you can find such people in every country in the world. But don't let any Kiwi tell you how morally superior they are to the rest of the world ...

I  stand corrected. I heard those references myself.

I was talking more about economic disadvantage. If one compares New Zealand with Australia, the economic disadvantage of most full-blood aboriginals ( Kooris ) is significantly more than that of Maoris.

14 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

"Shrimps," they're bloody prawns mate.????

Paul Hogan is responsible. It was that ridiculous tourism campaign aimed at enticing the Americans, and the PR types thought Americans would not understand what a prawn was.

22 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

"Sometimes despite all i think we are the luckiest Country." is that why so many move to the "true" lucky country, across the ditch.

That was Once true but since 2000 and Australia's anti Kiwi legislation the net flow is reversed. More are returning than going. And Aussies seeking work here now as well.

22 hours ago, Aussie999 said:

"Shrimps," they're bloody prawns mate.????

You could be right,I will admite I haven't checked their genitalia, but I did see the movie, which kinda makes me an expert in Australia and Australians .  :tongue:

image.jpeg.3a09af1cf4f25e7c3cc2ec30efa4e42b.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwiken said:

That was Once true but since 2000 and Australia's anti Kiwi legislation the net flow is reversed. More are returning than going. And Aussies seeking work here now as well.

We only sent back the criminal element, those with which commit crimes in Oz , there is NO anti Kiwi legislation, I don't know where you got that from.

A comment for this family, if your skin is so thin that a single jerk and his tastless remark can wreck your entire holiday, well, I see many people almost everywhere, that can be insensitive, and cruel.  Shake off their crappy  remarks,  and remember the positive aspects of your vacation. Caution!  as there are jerks that you can  encounter everywhere, even in your home town or city.

Geezer  

• Like 1

On 10/30/2018 at 7:34 AM, Kiwiken said:

No matter where in the World you go you will meet people with an extremist point of view. NZ for white people, not likely and never has been. NZ is a pretty cosmopolitan type of Country. Being smaller we integrate a bit more. Yes there are Some who claim otherwise, but on the whole it is true.

I work in a large Industrial complex where there are about 1000 workers Fillipino's, Africans, Maori, Samoan, Tongan, Indian, Korean and many other races while the Company policy on any sort of discrimination is clear. Not only that but any that spout such things are shut down by the majority. Diversity is good. How many of us if We did a DNA test would be suprised by what we really are. 

Wellington for those who do not know is the NZ Capital located at the bottom of the North Island. Invercargill is a small City at the bottom of the South. NZ is 1200 miles app under Australia. We are the land down under the Land down under

Actually more Sou'East than just south, They have 2 islands the North Island and South Island and now with so many Kiwis living in Australia it is now referred to as the West Island. LoL

On 10/30/2018 at 8:45 PM, RickG16 said:

How welcoming is NZ to white foreigners? British etc...?

Genuine question.

Any person of any race is welcome as long as you are willing to adapt. We were pretty bicultural now more multicultural. I never have seen extreme racism but then i have cousins who are Maori. Samoan. Tongan. Guess i was lucky though i know tbe divide is bigger in the north

All I get from this is that this kind of behavior is pretty much everywhere in some form or another.   I have encountered or seen some pretty nasty remarks in many, many countries.   

It's sad, but a reality of life pretty much everywhere.

• Thanks 1