Did you know? Thai "smart card" driving licences can be used in ten ASEAN member countries

webfact

Did you know? Thai "smart card" driving licences can be used in ten ASEAN member countries

5pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Thai Rath reported a fact they said was not known to some Thai people.

The modern Thai "smart card" driving licences can be used legally in the ten member states of the AEC or Asian Economic Community.

This is in line with an agreement made many years ago entitled: Agreement on the recognition of domestic driving licences issued by ASEAN countries.

Deputy at the DLT Kamon Buranapong confirmed this was the case but cautioned that those Thais who seek to actually reside in member states must seek permission first. 

Old style driving licences (paper versions) can still be legitimately used in the member states after Thai government offices are contacted with further documentary evidence such as a Thai ID.

The member states of ASEAN where Thai licences can be used are: Malaysia, Vietnam, the Philippines, Singapore, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, Indonesia and Brunei. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-01
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

It's forbidden to drive a vehicle with the steering wheel on the right side in Vietnam;

so I cannot go there with my marvellous :tongue:Isuzu pickup bought in Thailand.

Bo penne yang do, I shall go on my MTBike ..

Are you saying that no Thai vehicles can be driven in Vietnam?

If the steering wheel is on the right side, yes, it's not possible ;

and I have a huge doubt about the possibility to drive a car or a pickup with a thai license;

the vietnamese authorities say you must have a vietnamese driving license...

But, next time I'm going there I will ask my vietnamese friend about that , showing my thai driving license and waiting for their answer.

Thai driving licences are valid in a host of countries who were signatories to the two relevant treaties.  They are valid in the UK for sure.  Technically, foreign licences, providing they have a photo and are in English, from those same countries are supposed to be recognised here,   but TIT!