Which helmet should I choose?

frede99

Hey guys,

I know theres a ton of threads about this topic already, but I really can't decide for me.

I have a low budget (less than 1200baht) and staying in Chiang Mai.

Which brands should I look for, and which should I avoid? 

2 of my friends have some cheap Index and Nakoya (like myself before it got stolen), but after what I've been reading that shouldnt be good enough.

Real helmet should be good for the price, but can I find a new Real helmet for my budget in Chiang Mai? I would also prefer it was ECE so I can use it when I go back to Europe.

Hope you guys have time to help me, as I'm planing to buy in this weekend :)

If you were unfortunate enough to have an accident, would you want something that looks the part but splits, and splits your head open like a ripe Melon, or something that will actually protect you from life changing injuries ?

You decide which is more important, the price tag shouldnt be the first consideration, fit for purpose should be.

Buy a cheap one for 1200 baht and spend a fortune on medical bills !!

• Like 2

So you say that theres no difference in buying a helmet for 300 or for 1200 baht? I know it's not the big budget, but I would prefer to have a cheap helmet who works okay, until I have enough money to buy a good one.

But I can concider to buy a bit more expensive helmet if there's that big a difference

Take a look at Lazada - lots of choices within your budget.

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-motorcycle-atv-helmets/?spm=a2o4m.home.cate_12_10.1.1125719cMmKJya

If you like "Real" helmets (in the cheaper range but decent quality IMHO) prices start just above your budget at 1,580 Baht ...

https://www.lazada.co.th/shop-motorcycle-atv-helmets/real-helmet/?page=1&sort=priceasc

• Like 2

Thanks for the all these replies ????

If you choose between Bilmola and Real which brand would you go for? 

I appreciate all of your concern, but I really have a low budget at the moment. First I thought about just buying a simular helmet as Index, Spacecrown etc. like my friends, but then I read how unsafe it was. Maybe in the future I will buy a better helmet.

4 minutes ago, frede99 said:

If you choose between Bilmola and Real which brand would you go for? 

Real. You get a free spare visor (very handy when the original gets scratched) and you can take the lining out and wash it if you wish.

• Like 2

Sometimes when borrowing the Mrs's Wave and nipping into town, i have to decide on which to wear with my shorts & flip flops (and obviously no gloves - heaven forbid!);
a) my brown checked flat cap, or
b) my grey dashed flat cap..........

Whatever matches your gaiters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Get a helmet in which you can use your peripheral vision.

Try the helmet and look how much you see to your sides.

I once bought an Index helmet it a shop which I thought looked good and it fit. Then I put it on and rode away. After a couple of 100m I realized that the peripheral vision was a lot less than what I was used to. I drove back to the shop and replaced it with a cheaper helmet with a lot better peripheral vision.

Obviously a high quality helmet is a good idea - but first you should make sure you can see as much as possible!

b20cf2a.gif

I appreciate all of your adwises. 

Yesterday I went to helmet2home and tried a lot of helmets from Real and Bilmola. My budget went up to 2000baht after your adwises, and I ended up buying a Real helmet that was on discount and fits my head perfectly. 

15412124448315591250464845308026.jpg

15412125375782807751310589480597.jpg

15412125888578778194694372192610.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, macknife said:
If you were worried about safety then you should have got a full face helmet.

First accident I had on a bike was when a dog ran out into the road and I went over the bars.
Will never forget the sight of the road at about 30kph going past my face at about 50mm away.
If I was wearing an open face helmet I would have had no jaw bone.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Edited by soihok
missed an 0

13 minutes ago, soihok said:

First accident I had on a bike was when a dog ran out into the road and I went over the bars.
Will never forget the sight of the road at about 30kph going past my face at about 5mm away.
If I was wearing an open face helmet I would have had no jaw bone.

A friend of mine did the same last year on his scooter in Bangkok. Was only going about 30kph. Spent a month in hospital with his lower jaw, teeth and eye socket smashed in. Had he been wearing a full face, he could have stood up, brushed himself down and carried on his merry way.

He learnt the hard way. Needless to say, he now wears a full face... always.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm hearing the full face helmets loud and clear. Thanks.

I hate seeing farangs with no helmet but the absolute worst for me is the farangs cruising to the shops with their kid and both have no helmet. It's like a feeling of seeing a bunch of glue sniffers in the 80's

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, frede99 said:

Yesterday I went to helmet2home and tried a lot of helmets from Real and Bilmola. My budget went up to 2000baht after your adwises, and I ended up buying a Real helmet that was on discount and fits my head perfectly. 

Good choice

I have a similar helmet and the big advantage of this not full-face-helmet is that its easy to use for people with glasses.

Keep glasses on the nose, put the helmet on, that's it.

Before I had a full-face-helmet and that was a lot more difficult in that sense.

• Like 1

Ahaha, liked a lot of the comments above !

Well surprisingly, the index helmets like the white one that someone showed earlier, are pretty strong for the price ;

One time i was driving on a bridge and did not tied my helmet properly, a blow of wind just pulled it out of my head and it crashed under a taxi coming behind me (hit the bumper quite bad and then went under it), and we were "fast" (90-100).

Taxi drove about 100 meters with the helmet stuck and i could hear it being rapp** by the road.

Taxi guy pulled it out and gave it back to me, it was obviously scratched but still in one piece (!).

Now the problem with these cheap index helmets is the foam inside, it doesn't last long and after few month you end up with a helmet just way too big so basically useless if you crash.

eFor 7 months and 8000 kms, i have a full face HJC helmet that I bought about 3500-4000 bahts

I am very satisfied, good vision, not hot even with hot weather, not heavy

I wear glasses and I take them off before putting the helmet 

Never tried if protects me when I  have an accident because no one so far, but I feel safe inside … and I can put it in my scooter when I go away 

Edited by Aforek
  • Like 1

eFor 7 months and 8000 kms, i have a full face HJC helmet that I bought about 3500-4000 bahts
I am very satisfied, good vision, not hot even with hot weather, not heavy
I wear glasses and I take them off before putting the helmet 
Never tried if protects me when I  have an accident because no one so far, but I feel safe inside … and I can put it in my scooter when I go away 
Good on you.
1541239630055.jpeg

10 hours ago, frede99 said:

15412125375782807751310589480597.jpg

15412125888578778194694372192610.jpg

I've got the Real Next helmet. Pretty well the same. Much cooler than the full face plus I find going through the daily police checks maybe a bit easier. 

I don't see this helmet on the Real website, Mine hasn't got the vents on the forehead. Good idea, I guess it's their latest model.