Thailand’s English proficiency is getting worse: study

rooster59

Put  in  context  of the  English prevalent in almost  any media  venue why should  that spoken in Thailand  be  measured any  differently?

Is there  an actual purest form of  English  language? If  so is  it  the US  English, the  UK  English, Australian,  New Zealand, International.. etc that presents itself   in choices ?

Any  language  can  evolve or  ...devolve in  the  evaluation  of those  who possess no  ability or willingness  to evolve  with  it .

Admittedly policies that encourage  teaching  by the inadequate of any valid form of English can  only  distort  the language  learned.

Add   to  that  the  experiences of  Thai  who  are  obliged  to  communicate  in English with foreigners as a second language  to  both  parties. If  on  those  occasions a  true  understanding  is  achieved then  both  parties  should receive  a medal !????

22 minutes ago, SABloke said:

It's actually Putt-ta-ya, you fool.???? But that is the pronunciation in Thai. I'm sure Pa-Ty-er, as you put it, is an acceptable English pronunciation. Many cities across the world have varied pronunciations depending on which language is being spoken.

So get off your pony, and get over it. Can you honestly tell me that you say, "I'm going to Paree" when you visit Paris? I thought not.

Not Putt.  Pat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, the guest said:

Ironic, many native speakers of English struggle to master their own languages, and then dictate to other about learning English ?

I find it ironic that anyone who can speak English should be measured by a grammar nazi.  I'm sure everyone can speak English just fine and who cares if they spell or punctuate correctly.  That's why Thai visa has a rule about correcting spelling and grammar and It's a good rule. 

• Like 1

Thailand has failed to put into place a coherent education plan. Over crowding, lack of funding and corruption do nothing to help. Having taught in Thailand I have seen at first hand the waste of funds on things such as teachers outings and lavish back slapping parties when the school is in urgent need of teaching materials. The only way to break the endless circle of "the blind leading the blind" is to employ qualified British teachers using English to teach the core subjects of English, maths, and science. Students must be taught if they don't understand something that it is wise and highly beneficial to declare that they do not understand, and to question what is being taught. Only when the first wave of students have finished there education and have properly completed there teaching degree can you start to break the circle and start introducing Thai teachers into teaching English, Maths, and science. Yes this would take time and need a solid plan in place with good incentives for the new teachers coming into the field of teaching who would have to continue to prove there worth or face being replaced. 

Edited by Jackin1960
ad the word "qualified"

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Not Putt.  Pat. 

Or the ever popular and embarrassingly conditioned pronounced Patty-Ya [most common among Poms, Aussies, Kiwis].

Most amusing.

It's a Thai term, why not pronounce as the Thais do - correctly. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SABloke said:

The dude in your video is saying "Putt" like putting in golf. Not "Pat" which sounds like cat. In Thai it is พ(p)  ั("u" from gun) ท (t) = Putt 

https://www.google.com/search?q=translate&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1-ab

Write putt tai ya and listen and write pat tai ya and listen. 

I feel it's a mistake making English a core subject.  Certainly in state schools, English doesn't suit the majority of students, and may not be relevant to their lives.

It would be best to concentrate on the small group who can and want to learn English.  Lessons would be far more productive, and at least some Thais would perform well. 

46 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

And still not able to communicate in Thai.

All too embarrassingly common... 

Much too superior and civilised to take on the savages' language. 

You might be surprised [or not] as to the wide number of long time residents who still haven't a clue nor any inclination to attempt to know the language. Hence, their isolation - yet expertise towards all things Thai/Thailand. 

Much more common than not.

Edited by zzaa09
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

On most levels, Thailand has moved backwards under the Junta. They just do not care one iota about the plebs. It is always about making life better for the elite and those in power. It is never about the people. And with their nationalist agenda they are missing every mark.

The current educational system is one of the least creative in the world. The Thai English teachers can barely speak English. 

Something radical needs to be done. 

Barely might be too much of a compliment. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Who told you that? 

You wrote, " It's true, and I did learn sufficient Thai to get around. But, i appreciate it only for the utility to avoid getting taken advantage of"  Sounds to me like you have never lived here and only visit.  The ability to converse in Thai and understanding Thai literature and poetry would introduce to many Thai people who are in higher intellectual levels.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

On most levels, Thailand has moved backwards under the Junta. They just do not care one iota about the plebs. It is always about making life better for the elite and those in power. It is never about the people. And with their nationalist agenda they are missing every mark.

The current educational system is one of the least creative in the world. The Thai English teachers can barely speak English. 

Something radical needs to be done. 

Sounds much akin to all the political parties' agendas. 

Same as it ever was. 

Thai is a language of vowels and tones. English is a language of combined consonants. Thais find English as difficult as falangs find Thai.

IMHO one of the factors in Thais learning English is face. They are reluctant to lose face by asking for help with words.

Their struggles at times can lead to quite comic situations. Like a Thai lady I was having a meal with who said she liked to eat bulls**t. Took me some time to work out she meant blue cheese.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thai is a language of vowels and tones. English is a language of combined consonants. Thais find English as difficult as falangs find Thai.

IMHO one of the factors in Thais learning English is face. They are reluctant to lose face by asking for help with words.

Their struggles at times can lead to quite comic situations. Like a Thai lady I was having a meal with who said she liked to eat bulls**t. Took me some time to work out she meant blue cheese.

Thais are afraid of looking stupid.  Farangs were told by parents and teachers they were stupid from a young age and don't hold the same fear.  That's good and bad.  You will notice there is not a psychiatrists office on ever street corner like there is in the West nor do Thais take all the anti depressants like everyone does in the West.  

Some likely reasons for this: Local teachers who cannot speak or write the language to a high level. Misguided design of courses that do not focus on English as it is actually used but instead prepare students for rather meaningless exams (the cat is on the mat). Limited opportunities for students to use English in their daily lives. Foreign teachers who may have enthusiasm but are not qualified to teach. Much as it was 20 years ago, while other countries move ahead.

43 minutes ago, Jackin1960 said:

The only way to break the endless circle of "the blind leading the blind" is to employ qualified British teachers using English to teach the core subjects of English, maths, and science.

[bolding mine]

Is there some particular reason you excluded Americans, Australians and other native English speakers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Ajarnbrian said:

Some likely reasons for this: Local teachers who cannot speak or write the language to a high level. Misguided design of courses that do not focus on English as it is actually used but instead prepare students for rather meaningless exams (the cat is on the mat). Limited opportunities for students to use English in their daily lives. Foreign teachers who may have enthusiasm but are not qualified to teach. Much as it was 20 years ago, while other countries move ahead.

No one in charge.  Thailand needs a big joke for English.  Maybe call him big crumpet.  It is not a difficult problem.  Lots of English speakers from other poor impoverished countries more than willing to work for the starvation wages paid to Thai teachers and smile all the way to the bank. 

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Thais are afraid of looking stupid.  Farangs were told by parents and teachers they were stupid from a young age and don't hold the same fear.  That's good and bad.  You will notice there is not a psychiatrists office on ever street corner like there is in the West nor do Thais take all the anti depressants like everyone does in the West.  

A fairly sweeping generalisation. I can't recall being told by any of my teachers I was stupid. My parents certainly didn't, because I was about two years ahead of most kids in reading.

My hypothesis to explain the dearth of psychiatrists and anti-depressants would be Thais are probably one of the most social people on the planet. While the average Thai IQ is lower than a lot of nationalities, their emotional intelligence is very high. I admire their dedication to social cohesion and their extended families.

• Like 2

It is sad that most Thais do not realize that English is there road to success and a better income. The people in Thailand who make the most money are the Thai who speak the best English. Thailand has the most tourists of any Asian country and the lowest percentage of English speaking people.  BUT, keep people uneducated and they are MUCH easier to control and that seems to be the way the government like it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

And about the pound vs the baht? You forgot that part of my post eh?

The exchange rate is what it is, I cannot fathom it, a developed economy against what at best is an emerging one, the high bhat cannot help the country, it does however help the 4% who create 96% of the wealth as they no doubt get about a bit and enjoy the exchange rate in the high zone to make their lives easier and more enjoyable.

1 minute ago, attrayant said:

[bolding mine]

Is there some particular reason you excluded Americans, Australians and other native English speakers?

Farang have a difficult time getting along with the program.  Need other poor countries that can conform to the Thai way of doing things. 

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

A fairly sweeping generalisation. I can't recall being told by any of my teachers I was stupid. My parents certainly didn't, because I was about two years ahead of most kids in reading.

My hypothesis to explain the dearth of psychiatrists and anti-depressants would be Thais are probably one of the most social people on the planet. While the average Thai IQ is lower than a lot of nationalities, their emotional intelligence is very high. I admire their dedication to social cohesion and their extended families.

That and the almost free sex, booze for pennies and everybody can sing. 

4 minutes ago, nong38 said:

The exchange rate is what it is, I cannot fathom it, a developed economy against what at best is an emerging one, the high bhat cannot help the country, it does however help the 4% who create 96% of the wealth as they no doubt get about a bit and enjoy the exchange rate in the high zone to make their lives easier and more enjoyable.

Why is the exchange rate what it is.  Can't get off that easy.  What is the reason the baht has appreciated so much against the pound in the pasts decade? Baht up, GDP up, Jobs up and the economy doing great. 

Edited by marcusarelus

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

True enough. Although I dispute it is singing, more like cats being tortured.

Sexual repression is what is killing the West.  Every guy I know is a bit nuts and driven crazy by the new stuff.  No wonder they are opening robot brothels.  I don't what is making the Japanese loony but they are past being in the same planet. 

Edited by marcusarelus