Violence against women in Thailand

GalaxyMan

I am constantly appalled by the amount of violence against women in Thailand. I understand that Thai men are taught that they are the center of the universe and that everyone else is here to serve them. I am (un)impressed by their total lack of self-esteem and overblown egos. It makes me wonder where that lack of self-esteem comes from. Is it a result of a lack in other area(s)? ????

This morning I read about yet another brave, courageous Thai male who beat up and killed a woman for not saying yes to his advances. Nothing unusual, right? This led me to do some searching and I discovered that legally it is 4 times more illegal to beat a dog than it is a woman. Don't take my word for it, read it for yourselves.

Here’s a great article on how animals are now supposedly protected.

http://www.asiaone.com/asia/new-thai-law-against-animal-cruelty-puts-burden-humans

Violations are considered a criminal offence and punishment is a maximum Bt40,000 (S$1,663) fine and/or two years in jail.

Here’s an article about beating women, or ‘domestic violence’ as it is described.

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law/domestic-violence-law-in-thailand/

The maximum penalty for committing an act of domestic violence is up to six months imprisonment or a six thousand baht fine or both, excluding “relief money” that a Court may order an offender to pay to the victim.

How could they possibly think anything is going to change when they have codified it in law in this way? I constantly point out to my girlfriend how all of the Thai soap operas are centered around mistreating women. She just shrugs and says "that's Thailand". She is an intelligent and educated professional, yet she, too, just accepts that 'that's the way it is in Thailand'. Really sad.

• Sad 1

My ex (thank god) once said to me "Why don't you just beat me and then we can be over it?" after one of her more egregious behaviors. Told her "I don't beat women" (or men, for that matter). Besides she would always have that hanging over me...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, meechai said:

Violence is not just against women in Thailand

Sorry to say but Thai's are happy till their not then things can go violent quickly

regardless of gender.

Have you ever seen how often a group of Thai girls beat a single Thai girl for what ever reason?

I have & it can be brutal

Also why Thai doctors are expert at sewing certain parts back onto Thai males?

Or how many assault others with vehicles here & do not stop

The list is long

Truth is Thailand has a violence problem period.

Yes, true, but I see a difference in the 'why' between men and women. The women usually have a reason; money, cheating man, man who beats her, something. The men seem to kill the women for not acceding to their amorous advances. No matter how you look at it, it sucks. My point in making this post was to point out how little emphasis there is on violence against women compared to violence against animals.

I lived with the Bedouins in Sinai back in the 70s. The women got up an hour before sunrise to make sure that -- in this order -- there was food for the men when they woke up and the animals and livestock were fed. Only then were the women and children allowed to eat whatever might be left over. This whole situation here has made me remember that time.

2 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

My point in making this post was to point out how little emphasis there is on violence against women compared to violence against animals.

That's probably because

People have a choice (they can leave), and animals don't have a choice.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jackdd said:

She might have gotten some (mediocre) intellectual education, but she did probably never get social, moral or cultural education. Thais are never taught, neither by their families or in school, to think critically about what they see in this world and they just think everything is alright as it is and don't see any reason to change it.

Not only Thais think like that, mostly all over Asia, been (lived) in a couple different ones and unfortunately they are the same

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, BritManToo said:

got a phone call from a friend over the weekend.

She (and he) are filthy rich (house worth 100MBht), had a fight with her husband, they were both punching each other in the face. I'm not sure who won, they seem happy enough again now, although she said her face still hurts.

You should watch a few Lakorns, no shortage of hiso's slapping each other and the servants.

and people still seem to be lining up to get married...............no wonder i stay single. :cheesy:

• Like 1

"I am (un)impressed by their total lack of self-esteem and overblown egos."

That statement kinda reminds me of the time I was once described by a friend as an..."Egomaniac, with a hugh inferiority complex" ??? 

I am living in Thailand for many years and my experience is that it's better to fight with a tiger than having an argument with a Thai woman....

Thai women litteraly beat foreign men here so maybe they are just doing the opposite of what Thai men are doing to them...

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

I am living in Thailand for many years and my experience is that it's better to fight with a tiger than having an argument with a Thai woman....

Thai women litteraly beat foreign men here so maybe they are just doing the opposite of what Thai men are doing to them...

Not only ones & by a reason I told to my Ex that I wish her dad (RIP) would have slaped her multible times the shit out of her ass... Never & nowhere else I experienced such stupid overdriven ego, arrogance & selfishness compared with lack of any moral education! 

I'll never forget her furious statement: "I am a THAI woman!"

Yep, synonym for a stupid, uneducated but endless arrogant bitch ????????????????????.

My last words to her: "wish you fun with an alcoholic violent thai male" ????????????

• Haha 2

Contrary to popular belief men are more likely to experience physical violence from a spouse that a woman. For various reasons men are less likely to report it and because of the relative size difference between men and women when women experience violence from there spouse they are far more likely to be seriously injured. 

"She just shrugs and says "that's Thailand". She is an intelligent and educated professional, yet she, too, just accepts that 'that's the way it is in Thailand'. Really sad."

Now you know.

Love it, tolerate it, hate it.....or leave it behind.

It will not change for any of......"us".

"Up to you".

Edited by Enoon

On 11/5/2018 at 5:36 PM, Mavideol said:

Not only Thais think like that, mostly all over Asia, been (lived) in a couple different ones and unfortunately they are the same

So, men don't beat women in your home country. They definitely do in North America and Europe.

8 hours ago, German farang said:

Not only ones & by a reason I told to my Ex that I wish her dad (RIP) would have slaped her multible times the shit out of her ass... Never & nowhere else I experienced such stupid overdriven ego, arrogance & selfishness compared with lack of any moral education! 

I'll never forget her furious statement: "I am a THAI woman!"

Yep, synonym for a stupid, uneducated but endless arrogant bitch ????????????????????.

My last words to her: "wish you fun with an alcoholic violent thai male" ????????????

Still hurts, huh? Don't take it out on all Thai women.

6 minutes ago, HerbalEd said:

So, men don't beat women in your home country. They definitely do in North America and Europe.

that's not what I said..... unfortunately all around the world some stupid man will beat a women, my comment was referring to the women whom accepted that, you misunderstood or are referring to something different, please go back and read again

IN CASE YOU LOST IT """" Thais are never taught, neither by their families or in school, to think critically about what they see in this world and they just think everything is alright as it is and don't see any reason to change it.

Edited by Mavideol
  • Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 10:28 AM, BritManToo said:

From what I've seen domestic violence in Thailand is equally likely from either sex.

It's just accepted as part of life here and who's to say they're wrong?

My last (Thai) wife said when we first got married, once or twice a month is acceptable, every day isn't.

I said I don't hit women, she thought about it for a while then asked, "Can I hit you?"

She just hit you ... in your pocket!! ????

On 11/5/2018 at 6:42 PM, scoutman360 said:

Since foreigners are mostly exposed to the lower echelons of the Thai female society, I am not surprised they think this is the norm.

My Thai gf has a masters degree and is an accomplished travel writer who reminds me regularly that despite her success she will always be a second class citizen in her country. If you open your eyes this should be obvious even to a person of below average intelligence.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 5633572526 said:

My Thai gf has a masters degree and is an accomplished travel writer who reminds me regularly that despite her success she will always be a second class citizen in her country. If you open your eyes this should be obvious even to a person of below average intelligence.

that's sad to hear somebody with a master degree speak that way...why low self esteem

My landlady was about 68. Her son had done time and was a freeloading, Meth consuming bum. He would beat her up regularly. Once, she went to the cops.

- convicted felon & druggie

They sent her home. 

Guess she gave up all hope. Shame on the police and on society, when they fail to protect women! 

Goes both ways. Our head of village used to be sat down on a chair in their front yard by his wife and she would continually scream and beat him with a bamboo stick for a good 20 minutes. All whilst the children watched on and any people who walked by. 

Usually the cause was him getting drunk and being flirty. She now has left him and he has a new wife. The same screaming but not much beating. 

From what I have seen 'educated' families will either remove the woman after she is hit the first time or go to the police. Even many non educated families will leave after being hit the first time (one of our cousins did). Our assistant head of village hit his wife once, she immediately went to talk to the Mrs family about what to do as she has no money if she leaves him. End result was they separated and he has to now give her half his salary - rather than her going to police where he will lose his job completely.  

On the other hand the Mrs and I once helped a girl who was running from a beating in the city. The Mrs said we will go to the police, she said they will not help, Mrs said her uncle is police so can help you. But still refused and was asked to be dropped within 100 metres of where he was. One minute she was saying he is going to kill me, the next she was refusing real police help and asked us to turn around to drop her off near him again. 

But yes, some serious gender issues in the country. Also lack of trust with police. A bit like men who are victims of domestic violence back home cant trust authorities to take them seriously.