Motorcyclist decapitated by metal floor sheet of trailer truck in Samut Sakhon

webfact

2 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Just go out on the road for about an hour and you're sure to see a pickup with pipes, wood boards or rebar sticking out just at head height ripe for a motorcyclist not being to careful to run right into. It's frightening to see the lack of common sense to safety and the police don't notice because they simply never look for let alone ticket anybody doing such nonsense. I can't see that Thais are ever taught anything about safety measures of this sort as it is done all the time. Once in awhile you might see a used plastic bag off of the end of pipes or board ... maybe because they had a friend or family member impaled or decapitated.

That is the problem with Thais. They have no sense of vulnerability and see nothing wrong with the contraptions. Worse, the police also see nothing untoward too. Still a long way to go before human lives become much appreciated. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ctkong said:

Thai drivers rarely switch on their headlights even during the rain... trying to save some baht for the bulbs let alone switching on the emergency light parking on the roadside. I have been driving in Thailand for more than 15 years and I had never, repeat never seen a truck switching on the emergency lights when parking at the roadside. Probably trying to save the flasher unit ( for emergency lights) some wear and tear. 

I do see motocycles driving with hazardlights on when they drive against traffic...or when they feel so important...Also i never see policecars with wailing lights/sirenes, only ambulances or firetrucks do that.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2018 at 8:28 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Understood... The rear of the truck was 'dented' the motorcycle didn't see anything to judge any stopping distance - it was dark I'm not sure the 'red flag' would have made any difference at night. 

Was the Truck Driver at fault for stopping on the side of the road, or just driving a vehicle which has been modified (and ultimately causing decapitation) ?...  I wonder if the modification had not existed would the outcome still have been a fatality... Difficult to say, but I suspect so looking at the dent to the back of the truck. 

Agreed. You can see plenty of street lighting & lights from shops nearby............something else wrong if you run into a big truck in the half light with m/c lights on.

One more tragic data point. 

Had the guy been driving a car, he'd be a few thousand baht poorer for the repairs, but his family wouldn't be grieving.

And it's not like wearing a helmet would have (or did?) helped...

Edited by impulse

• 4 weeks later...