'Central agency needed' to tackle rising road accidents in Thailand

webfact

"INTERNATIONAL ROAD safety experts have urged Thailand to follow Vietnam’s example..."

With all due respect to Vietnam, why not follow the example of some first-world countries, and learn some first-world road discipline and manners? The fact is, you lot will never learn anything - on and off the roads - no matter whose example you follow, before first learning to drop that stupid me-first, face-saving and gun-toting mentality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get the police out on the roads and start putting road safety ads on tv in between the soaps, half on the road don't know the rules eg stopping on a yellow grid and jamming up the traffic instead of hanging back till your way is clear. I can still remember ads on UK tv from when I was a kid like don't be a weaver bird and only a fool breaks the three second rule.

Sent from my SM-P901 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 2

Ok at the risk of being called all sorts of names(there has been statements oh its a police job, directed by who or what, then others with educate, directed by who)

So yes I do see the need for a central agency, because they have never had any success with the system so far.

It would have under its umbrella, traffic police(of all types, parking, local and highway), also education and training as well as prevention, Im sure there is more but Im just a simple man.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, kevc said:

Get the police out on the roads and start putting road safety ads on tv in between the soaps, half on the road don't know the rules eg stopping on a yellow grid and jamming up the traffic instead of hanging back till your way is clear. I can still remember ads on UK tv from when I was a kid like don't be a weaver bird and only a fool breaks the three second rule.

Sent from my SM-P901 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

And 'Clunk Click Every Trip'  Because 70% of Thai's don't wear Seat Belts !

28 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

Like this Vietnamese cop??  :thumbsup:

I saw exactly the same thing in Udon Thani about ten years ago.

in the city centre two youths without helmets ignored a policeman telling them to stop, the driver swerved around him.

There was another policeman fifty metres ahead, who saw what happened. He jumped out and grabbed the arm of the passenger, pulling the motorbike down. It slid across the road towards oncoming traffic, but stopped before colliding with anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I've been here long enough to know that all that would be under that 'Umbrella' would be Deck Chairs and a lot of tables full of Beer and Food for all the NOT hard working 'Members of the Agency' who would solve absolutely nothing !

I do get that with the experience of how everything's always been in Thailand it's hard to believe anything will ever change. But suppose, just suppose, that someone "higher up" wanted to effect some real change. Wouldn't it make sense to follow WHO's advice and set up a central organisation with the full responsibility for implementing the change? I'm not saying they will, but just griping about what's gone before doesn't sound very helpful. 

• Like 1

Maybe someone can enlighten me here... There seems to be very good order and adherence to the rules when it comes to lining up/queueing on the BTS platforms. This shows that the national character, insomuch as that exists as a real thing (and we seem to credit people like the Germans with having one), is not averse to maintaining order and hierarchy in a pedestrian traffic situation. But when it comes to road traffic and vehicles, that gets thrown at the wayside, so to speak. Is it a matter of deniability? I notice that it's impossible to catch the eyes of motorbike riders when I try to cross the street - and most car drivers are behind dark-tinted glass so the cars might as well be driven by robots. I haven't seen this difference between foot traffic and vehicle traffic in any other country (I haven't been everywhere though).

• Like 1

Or how about special and unique invisible Thai newspapers printed with invisible ink and news web sites with special unique Thai webfonts that exactly match the background color so that nobody is endangered by the possibility of reading the next brain corrodingly daft idea about how we can solve the next national problem we aren't even vaguely interested in solving but yet for some mysterious reason feel we have to agonize in public over just to get ourselves a first row seat at the boufant and big 70's eyeglasses and frumpy 1940's dress convention.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

"...Central agency needed’ to tackle rising road accidents..."

What a pile of crap.

What is needed is for the police to get off their asses, get on to the roads and patrol. And, when they see someone driving badly, stupidly, under-age and/or drunk, take action.

It ain't rocket science.

This is a police problem. If the police did their job, Thailand would have MUCH MUCH safer roads.

End of discussion.

BTW: this "Central Agency" is yet another case of Bureaucratic BS. Stop wasting everyone's time and money on Bureaucratic empire-building.

You are absolutely correct and we all know it, they know it too so as you say cut the crap and do your job. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy: Sorry gmac, that is a good one. Here in Hua Hin they made a roundabout on soi 88. You have never seen such a clusterf*** in all your life. Not one vehicle gives way to traffic on the roundabout, Bikes, and sometimes even cars go round the wrong way, or simply turn right on the wrong side of the road instead of going around........Total mayhem. When you try and use it correctly you are met with glares of disapproval.

This is the reason why they should be installed generally.  Teach people how to use them, not just try one, see the mayhem it causes and give up.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wicketkeeper said:

Flood Thai TV channels with 30 second clips about good driving habits and how to drive properly. These already exist in countries where they drive on the left. Alternatively they can be written and produced here. Clunk Click. Every trip. 

Agree plus start quick structured talks and lectures at perhaps Primary 3 or 4 level, 10 minutes could be a video, presented on a loop TV system using MCOT resources and a screen in every classroom.

With follow up quiz the next day, 10 minutes conducted by the teacher, and build from there with a goal that every kid had total knowledge of the rules of the road, road dangers, etc by say end of M5.

Perhaps with regular tests and made it worthwhile watching and passing the tests at school because it's easier to get a license, an incentive. 

• Like 1

"weak law enforcement and the lack of a direct central agency to tackle the problem,”.
The first one is the most important. Won't happen anytime soon because the fact is the cops don't know how to do it. The second one won't either because of all the current people in meaningless jobs will be working to prevent their jobs disappearing.

Sent from my H4133 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1