Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, DLock said:

It's not an argument Slapnuts. Just find smoking and smokers particularly repulsive.

Fortunately, my PROBLEM is being slowly dealt with.

The war against smokers is over....we just walking around bayonetting the wounded now.

Live with it...ha ha ha ha a.

'Just find smoking and smokers particularly repulsive.'

Most normal people will find this over the top, and it points to the writer having a problem.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sometimes a take a couple of perfume bottles into the pub and I spray them around me. Sometimes it hits people and they get upset. OMG, it's only perfume. Smells way better than smoke. I don't get it. Will this be illegal now? I like the feeling and sound of perfume spraying out from a bottle. What's next? They will take away my right to chew gum because some people spit it out in the wrong places??

5 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Millions are dying worldwide from air pollution, so don't be so sure of that. Second hand smoking- you're probably right unless heavily exposed.

Burning shit is already illegal in Thailand. Vehicles are also regulated in Thailand and can't exhaust more than certain amounts. Ofcourse none of it is enforced properly.

16 minutes ago, hobz said:

I have one of those spray bottles that spray out a fine mist. I usually load it up with thousands of chemicals and walk around spraying the mist in the vicinity of people.. they always get upset and look scared.. I don't get it.. just a couple thousand chemicals mixed with air. Nothing harmful. 

Silly argument. One would indeed attract trepidation squirting things out a bottle, and the odd whiff of cigarette smoke can't possibly hurt anyone.

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Silly argument. One would indeed attract trepidation squirting things out a bottle, and the odd whiff of cigarette smoke can't possibly hurt anyone.

Silly indeed. What if I load it up with some perfume? Or better yet, what if I walk around with a perfume bottle spraying it around people?

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

'Just find smoking and smokers particularly repulsive.'

Most normal people will find this over the top, and it points to the writer having a problem.

What was your first clue that I have a problem with smokers?

It's just my preference and opinion. I don't like smoke and the arrogant, self entitled smokers that seem to think they can smoke wherever they want and it is me that needs to "let live".

Those little glass smoking rooms at the airport are a prime example. The airports gave smokers a place to smoke indoors, and what do the smokers do? They prop open the doors to let in fresh air and in the process stink out the airport. Result - take the smoking rooms away.

Their attitudes got them where we are today and fortunately society and laws are on my side.

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Its not just an "odd whiff" though is it ?

Its the constant cloud of smoke drifting over .

One person having one cigarette would cause much smoke , but when you have a group of people constantly sparking up , it becomes cloudy with the smoke

2 minutes ago, DLock said:

It's just my preference and opinion. I don't like smoke and the arrogant, self entitled smokers that seem to think they can smoke wherever they want and it is me that needs to "let live".

Those little glass smoking rooms at the airport are a prime example. The airports gave smokers a place to smoke indoors, and what do the smokers do? They prop open the doors to let in fresh air and in the process stink out the airport. Result - take the smoking rooms away.

Their attitudes got them where we are today and fortunately society and laws are on my side.

I agree completely. But I also think that most smokers are respectful and they usually ask if it's ok to light it up or they go stand somewhere a bit away from people. I respect that.

20 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

I'm not sure if there has ever been a case of someone dying of passive beer drinking.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Alcohol induced violence... drunk driving fatalities.

both are (negative) secondary effects of beer drinking, effecting those that did not nessesarily drink.... just as negative effects of smoking, are secondary effects

but.... on the bright side, my smoking missus won’t want to spend as much time out at restaurants or pubs, saving me a s***tonne of money... she’s gonna be pissed off, when this kicks in ????????????

4 minutes ago, hobz said:

What if I load it up with some perfume?

As i have an allergy to most perfumes due to all the obnoxious crap they put in them I would be the first to complain! ????

Cigarette smoke, I prefer not to breathe second hand smoke, but can live with it if "Forced" to! 

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Its not just an "odd whiff" though is it ?

Its the constant cloud of smoke drifting over .

One person having one cigarette would cause much smoke , but when you have a group of people constantly sparking up , it becomes cloudy with the smoke

The people most hurt by this are People that are working under such conditions. Bartenders (in countries where smoking inside is still allowed) , doormen etc.

The opposing sides will never agree on this. I am a reformed smoker for the past 35 years. I find smoke very repulsive now. That doers not make me hypocritical. Perhaps enlightened. I know that smoke makes me feel bad. Perhaps I developed an allergy to it. My nose plugs up right away. When I was a smoker, there was no way I could understand other people's dislike of it. Of course I heard the words but I did not really understand. So long ago it was ok to smoke everywhere. Very few non smokers openly objected. And when a few did I thought "what is your problem". Now all these years later I am amazed at what was once the norm. Anyone who believes it is not harmful or that it is not a problem is just making excuses for themselves. And if you are a smoker....RELAX! We all know there is no enforcement in this country. 1 or 2 might get pinched now and then. I hope so.

The problem has always been that smoking is invasive and others are an unwilling  'partner' in it's practice. I have nothing against smokers, drinkers, drug takers or bondage freaks but I do not want to be a part of it UNLESS I consciously make the decision to do so.

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

Alcohol induced violence... drunk driving fatalities.

both are (negative) secondary effects of beer drinking, effecting those that did not nessesarily drink.... just as negative effects of smoking, secondary effects

but.... on the bright side, my smoking missus won’t want to spend as much time out at restaurants or pubs, saving me a s***tonne of money... she’s gonna be pissed off, when this kicks in ????????????

Alcohol is heavily regulated already. Drunk driving is illegal.

Drunken Violence is illegal.

Buying alcohol at certain hours is illegal.

Drinking in public is illegal in some cases.

Being drunk in public is illegal in some cases.

Remember, the new smoking laws will not make smoking completely illegal, it just regulates it a bit more.

3 minutes ago, hobz said:

I agree completely. But I also think that most smokers are respectful and they usually ask if it's ok to light it up or they go stand somewhere a bit away from people. I respect that.

I don't disagree.

And my smoking room at the airport example, I'm sure thousands of smokers kept that door closed and it never bothered anyone...but it took one knucklehead to prop it open and ruin that smoking room for all the other smokers.

It only takes one...

8 minutes ago, DLock said:

Poor ventilation in those little glass rooms is the problem there.

poor design and implementation.... those done properly, work well... I’ve had to wait outside a lot of them, not all are crappy.

2 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

The problem has always been that smoking is invasive and others are an unwilling  'partner' in it's practice. I have nothing against smokers, drinkers, drug takers or bondage freaks but I do not want to be a part of it UNLESS I consciously make the decision to do so.

Fair point.  I don't know if that extends to a smoker walking down the street to be honest.

So given your excellent logic, we must also have cars off the roads. Agreed?  Or is there some particular reason why it's ok to cause such harm to everyone?

2 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Fair point.  I don't know if that extends to a smoker walking down the street to be honest.

So given your excellent logic, we must also have cars off the roads. Agreed?  Or is there some particular reason why it's ok to cause such harm to everyone?

Cars benefit many and transport benefits all. Smoking benefits NO ONE.

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

As i have an allergy to most perfumes due to all the obnoxious crap they put in them I would be the first to complain! ????

Cigarette smoke, I prefer not to breathe second hand smoke, but can live with it if "Forced" to! 

Some people are allergic to cig smoke.

I think everyone agrees it should not be allowed to walk around spraying perfume on ppl. Yet some ppl think it's ok to have their smoke hit people... Smoke is way more harmful than perfume for most people. And smells way worse (subjective I know).

The point is, smokers are spreading something unwanted in the air and it's hitting people and this is somehow accepted because it's normal. 

When doing something abnormal like spraying perfume on ppl it becomes clear how ridiculous it is that smoking in public was ever allowed.

2 minutes ago, hobz said:

Let me ask you a simple question, would you rather smell perfume or smoke ? What do you think most people prefer?

I'm talking about the odd, and possibly frightening sight, of you squirting indeterminate chemicals at or near bystanders in public. 

Smoking is known, and is harmless in small measure.  The fact that you find a puff of smoke (fictional in the main) so invasive points to you having the problem.

Meanwhile, we know the air pollution caused by the cars zipping past just a few metres away do untold damage both to us and the planet.

Meanwhile over 26,000 people will die on the roads of Thailand this year... let’s just focus on not doing anything about it. 
Yeah and apparently 10 000 people die a year in London form diseases brought on form pollution.So God knows how many in BKK, but hay lets worry about a little bit of second-hand smoke form the smokers.

I agree with no smoking indoors but this is just ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Poor ventilation in those little glass rooms is the problem there.

poor design and implementation.... those done properly, work well... I’ve had to wait outside a lot of them, not all are crappy.

You miss the point.

Smokers are always "I'm considerate" and "it's not me", but it just takes that one smoker that is inconsiderate, thinks that he can smoke anywhere to ruin it for both sides.

No doubt those little yellow rooms were horrible....but now smokers don't even have those little yellow rooms...but the airport is smoke free.

Smokers just don't get it...and that's why we are where we are.

Archived