Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

21 hours ago, ZeVonderBearz said:

Look forward to watching this unfold. Who is going to police this? The only coppers I ever see are those at the side of the super highway trying to fine as many farang as possible. Not once have a seen a Bobby on the beat.

The Bobbies smoke too.............

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

I'm talking about the odd, and possibly frightening sight, of you squirting indeterminate chemicals at or near bystanders in public. 

Smoking is known, and is harmless in small measure.  The fact that you find a puff of smoke (fictional in the main) so invasive points to you having the problem.

Meanwhile, we know the air pollution caused by the cars zipping past just a few metres away do untold damage both to us and the planet.

One puff of smoke should be allowed then. But only one puff per person. And only one person Will be allowed in my vicinity. 

As for cars, yes, they disgust me as well and I can't wait for electric vehicles to take over. And also I think most newer cars are pretty decent? I hate the old cars that spew out some black smoke.. illegal too btw.. but ofcourse not enforced by Thai police.

Not in the amount we have. Sure some do.  Ultimately, the planet is suffering.

That's a different argument and electric cars are coming.

Smoking kills and harms the user AND others. WE cannot do WITHOUT transport but we can do without smoking and you know it.

16 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Its not just an "odd whiff" though is it ?

Its the constant cloud of smoke drifting over .

One person having one cigarette would cause much smoke , but when you have a group of people constantly sparking up , it becomes cloudy with the smoke

I'm talking about outside not in a restaurant/bar, where it should be banned.

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Fair point.  I don't know if that extends to a smoker walking down the street to be honest.

So given your excellent logic, we must also have cars off the roads. Agreed?  Or is there some particular reason why it's ok to cause such harm to everyone?

No, cars are required for people to get from one place to another , its a necessity , smoking isnt a necessity , its a pastime, a habit .

6 minutes ago, DLock said:

You miss the point.

Smokers are always "I'm considerate" and "it's not me", but it just takes that one smoker that is inconsiderate, thinks that he can smoke anywhere to ruin it for both sides.

No doubt those little yellow rooms were horrible....but now smokers don't even have those little yellow rooms...but the airport is smoke free.

Smokers just don't get it...and that's why we are where we are.

If we based laws around that one inconsiderate idiot just about everything would be banned!

4 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I'm talking about outside not in a restaurant/bar, where it should be banned.

In crowded places if lots of people smoke it becomes a problem. They have banned smoking in walking street in Chiang Mai for this reason. 

5 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Can people really die form second-hand cig smoke from smokers outside as they are walking past them?

Of course not, any accusation to the contrary is hysterical hyperbole. That's the level of debate that some people bring to the table though. Sad. There a far bigger problems that need addressing here.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielfisher/2013/12/12/study-finds-no-link-between-secondhand-smoke-and-cancer/#39eb0a6c65d4

https://academic.oup.com/jnci/article/105/24/1844/2517805

Worth reading for a divergent opinion.

There are other ways.  We need some obviously.  But air pollution is a big problem.

The problem of air pollution is being addressed , more could and should be done , but steps are being taken and clamping down ion smokers is one of those steps

If we based laws around that one inconsiderate idiot just about everything would be banned!

Actually we do base most laws and rules around that one idiot. If we didn't have inconsiderate idiots we wouldn't need any laws. Think about it.

7 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

That's a different argument and electric cars are coming.

Smoking kills and harms the user AND others. WE cannot do WITHOUT transport but we can do without smoking and you know it.

And so is vaping!  And the simple fact is right now we have a major problem with air pollution which could even threaten our future existence on this planet.

No one could possibly get sick passing a smoker out on the street. It's rightly banned inside buildings.

I would have preferred it if they banned burning of all kinds of rubbish, where ever it accumulates ( yes.. laws... no policing)

or better yet... do something about the raw sewage that enters all culverts and the ocean... that s*** is really bad s***, compared to smoking ( sometimes I deliberately get downwind of a smoker, in an attempt to mask the noxious drain stank!)

But smoking is unique in that it affects other people....

..and smokers are Lemmings...if one person flouts the law and lights up where they shouldn't, others do, and suddenly, we have problems...

...and smokers like to annoy non-smokers. They even admit it on public forums...and then wonder why they are vilified and restricted.

10 minutes ago, juice777 said:

Can pepole really die form second-hand cig smoke from smokers outside as they are walking past them?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Depends how many times they walk past there.. what if they don't want to walk past the smokers but want to stay in the area where the smokers are filling the air with smoke? Say waiting for a bus, or whatever, I don't need a reason for standing somewhere.

What army brigade are they going to station in Pattaya to enforce this? Just about half the population (locals and visitors) are these cigarette smokers. About the sorriest lot of jerks as I've ever seen anywhere. Better yet just take them away. 

17 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Can I assume you do or at least did drink? You sound like someone who must be totally devoid of vices as you seem to love lecturing to / hectoring others about theirs and how much you abhor them. If you do indeed enjoy a drink or an unhealthy snack from time to time (or perhaps often?) then why do you feel that these personal pleasures would not be limited or outlawed down the line if a flat out smoking ban were imposed?

When I have a drink or an unhealthy snack , it doesnt effect anyone else .

Now , if when people drank , they threw their beer over everyone else , forcing them to drink it as well , only then could you compare drinking to smoking 

17 hours ago, androokery said:

Yes I would.

A man on the street in Bangkok stopped me and asked for a light for his cigarette. I couldn't offer a light, but I did ask why he felt the need to smoke in Bangkok. Wouldn't it suffice to just stand on the street corner and inhale the wonderful city air?

I would have told you where to put it. Non smokers are almost worse than vegans. 

9 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

And so is vaping!  And the simple fact is right now we have a major problem with air pollution which could even threaten our future existence on this planet.

No one could possibly get sick passing a smoker out on the street. It's rightly banned inside buildings.

It's not only "passing" and it's not only "a smoker". Sometimes its waiting for a bus near a bunch of smokers. Sometimes it walking in a crowded area with tons of smokers. When doing those things it's a constant inhaling of second hand smoke.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

When I have a drink or an unhealthy snack , it doesnt effect anyone else .

Now , if when people drank , they threw their beer over everyone else , forcing them to drink it as well , only then could you compare drinking to smoking 

Forget it don't play this game with these smokers and their absurd diversions and nonsense denials. 

Just gotta love em !!!\

It is also illegal to ride a motorbike without a helmet but ?????????

Ask any brain surgeon in Thailand & he/she will tell you that if they didn't have to spend so

much time on stupid unnecessary motorbike accidents they could get on & do some real work.

Whilst I consider myself a considerate smoker (always go out of a bar to have a puff) I think that Thailand has more pressing policing requirements like the slaughter on the roads (which must be costing this country billions) rather than pick up on some first world countries rules on smoking

11 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Really? China and India + others are 'addressing' these problems with 1000s still dying annually from attributed illnesses? If you think clamping down on a piddly bit of 2nd hand cigarette smoke will make any difference or that it is a real contributing factor in the first place, then, well, that says it all.

Well, yes , one little piddly lil cigarette isnt going to have much effect on anything .

Although in one year 5500000000000 cigarettes are smoked in the world , which is going to have some effect .

2 minutes ago, natway09 said:

Just gotta love em !!!\

It is also illegal to ride a motorbike without a helmet but ?????????

Ask any brain surgeon in Thailand & he/she will tell you that if they didn't have to spend so

much time on stupid unnecessary motorbike accidents they could get on & do some real work.

Whilst I consider myself a considerate smoker (always go out of a bar to have a puff) I think that Thailand has more pressing policing requirements like the slaughter on the roads (which must be costing this country billions) rather than pick up on some first world countries rules on smoking

Ahhhh...the smoker diversionary tactic again.

People not wearing helmets and getting splattered under a semi-trailer does not affect me...

Smoking does.

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

LOL, you can smoke in regular bars and restaurants all over. These tend to be the places which have customers.

This is actually more true than you know. 

The Philippine government imposed this ban and an area by my condo, which was a thriving mecca for outside dining and patio drinking died to the point where businesses actually had to ignore the law or close doors. 

The venues that remain in business, about 60 percent, are smoker freindly, but only outside on the patio. 

Archived