Thailand makes HUGE changes to its laws on smoking in public

Jonathan Fairfield

Glad I gave up smoking some years ago, because it already then started to be too difficult, to be a polite smoker. Even I enjoyed smoking, it was really not that hard – think it's a question of you want to give it up...????

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gamini said:

What a selfish attitude. Thanks to second-hand smoke I'm suffering from a fatal lung disease. I really admire Thailand for its bans on smoking.

Is your problem nothing to do with other stuff you/we breathe in every day...?

I may understand if you were a bar tender for many years but even those I doubt are dropping like flies..

1 minute ago, cookieqw said:

No compromise from me, I do not want to walk thru a blue haze to get into a restaurant etc, and I would gladly fine all the smokers who just drop the but-ends wherever they like 

But you walk through diesel fumes...?

...I'm pretty sure I'm not going to die from second hand smoke, or probably even exhaust fumes...and these are the usual trollish rubbish thrown out by both sides to redirect futile arguments.

For me, it's pretty simple. Keeping smokers as far as way from me is a good thing. I just find it repulsive.

18 hours ago, fasteddie said:

RIP Thailand, it's been fun.

Is your addition so bad that you can’t walk 5 meters away to have a drag? That’s pathetically sad.

But don’t worry, this won’t be actually enforced. Nothing ever is. They might make a hoot about it for two weeks then it’s baxm to normal. They don’t enforce the 2000b fine for smoking in certain areas currently.

They cant not even nearly enforce todays rules around smoking, how on earth will they be able to enforce these comprehensive laws???

Excuse me but this will be another one of the sleeping laws in Thailand. I remember a few years ago they introduced mandatory seatbelt rules in buses. They checked and enforced those rules for 2-3 days, and that was it. Never heard about it later....

This is something that I have been waiting for, for a long time.

Don't get me wrong, I will occasionally sit with the lads and have a few beers and when they light up I move away if the smoke is lingering my way, if the fan is blowing it away and it's not up my nose, I will remain, so it's a 50/50 situation when I am at the local, but when I having a meal in a restaurant or playing with the kids at the swimming pool of a hotel, I do not appreciate smokers lighting up and forcing me and the kids to breath in 70 + toxic chemicals into our lungs.

I thought it was already law that smoking was banned in restaurants, now that I know it will be official in 90 days, I will report any restaurant owner that allows smoking in their restaurant or hotel that allows smoking in their swimming pool area, photos with time and date stamp will be given as evidence of that and let's see how they like paying out 5,000 baht at a time for breaching the law and polluting my environment.

This has made my day, smoke away all you smokers want, just not in public places, it's been the norm in the west for years and will be here now, best quit while you can, because sooner or later you will die from it and the big tobacco companies don't give a rats while they contaminate you suckers, so to speak.

2 minutes ago, brucegoniners said:

For those of you making snide comments about this, you’re obviously not a non smoker. If you were you’d understand. This is a public health issue. And for those who said “goodbye Thailand”, don’t let the door hit you on the way out...

Eeeeeeeeeer, I like to have a ciggy, I never smoke inside, at a bar or home...Now the bars I frequent have a 2m sidewalk, but I am told I must be 5m away..

Hmmmm, well I am going to buy a traffic cone so I can stand in the middle of the road to avoid a fine...But I will be standing there thinking those diesel trucks passing by will be doing more harm than me....????

49 minutes ago, DLock said:

It's not an argument <removed> Just find smoking and smokers particularly repulsive.

Fortunately, my PROBLEM is being slowly dealt with.

The war against smokers is over....we just walking around bayonetting the wounded now.

Live with it...ha ha ha ha a.

Quick to get all upset and heated aren't we!? Your delicate sensibilities are CLEARLY very easily offended. Again, this is YOUR problem not mine or anyone else's. 

1 hour ago, DLock said:

Keeping smokers as far as way from me is a good thing. I just find it repulsive.

<Removed>

I might feel similarly about a fat slob who is making a scene of wolfing down some disgusting, oversized plate of greasy crap on the next table to me, or a drunk propping up the bar who wreaks of booze, but I have no real grounds to ask them to move away. If have a problem with it can remove myself from the situation, after all, or deal with it - as this is what living in a functional society requires.

A question: - do you feel the same way about alcohol or your favourite unhealthy foods / pharmaceutical agents as you do about cigs? If you don't then you should consider where this 'war on smoking' is likely to progress to next. If you have the presence of mind to do so, which, judging by the above, seems unlikely.

The argument re: pollutants in the air vs 2nd hand smoke outdoors is a totally pertinent and valid one. I notice you won't even begin to debate it - because you can't. By the sounds of your precious and churlish rhetoric it sounds like you should do us all a favour and stay home or move to the closest fascist state. 

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Eeeeeeeeeer, I like to have a ciggy, I never smoke inside, at a bar or home...Now the bars I frequent have a 2m sidewalk, but I am told I must be 5m away..

Hmmmm, well I am going to buy a traffic cone so I can stand in the middle of the road to avoid a fine...But I will be standing there thinking those diesel trucks passing by will be doing more harm than me....????

We have our differences - not least your robbing me of Poster of the Year 2018 - but I would rather sit next to you in a bar than these others...

1 minute ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Quick to get all upset and heated aren't we!? Your delicate sensibilities are CLEARLY very easily offended. Again, this is YOUR problem not mine or anyone elses'. 

Get a load of little Lord Fauntleroy over here! ???? How hilariously lame..

I might feel similarly about a fat slob who is making a scene of wolfing down some disgusting, oversized plate of greasy crap on the next table to me, or a drunk propping up the table at the end of the bar who wreaks of booze, but I have no real grounds to ask them to move away. If have a problem with it can remove myself from the situation, after all, or deal with it - as this is what living in a functioning society requires.

A question: - do you feel the same way about alcohol or your favourite unhealthy foods / pharmaceutical agents as you do about cigs? If you don't then you should consider where this 'war on smoking' is likely to progress to next. If you have the presence of mind to do so, which, judging by the above, seems unlikely.

The argument re: pollutants in the air vs 2nd hand smoke outdoors is a totally pertinent and valid one. I notice you won't even begin to debate it - because you can't. By the sounds of your precious and churlish rhetoric it sounds like you should do us all a favour and stay home or go and live in the closest fascist state. 

Why don't you check the WHO stance on smoking and their action in various countries. Or perhaps you think the WHO is also a fascist organization?

19 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

That a very good step to promote public health ......... You smokers can´t dump your dangerous smoke into other peoples lives and surroundings.

Many people die in road accidents and bad health due to alcohol. Especially in Thailand. Let's get this forbidden first. You agree ?

I used to have a card that could be handed out. Lost now. 

‘You like to smoke. The by-product of your smoking infuses my clothes, hair, lungs and makes me smell bad. I like to drink. The by -product of my drinking is urine. Mind if I piss all over you?’

1 minute ago, tonboy said:

Many people die in road accidents and bad health due to alcohol. Especially in Thailand. Let's get this forbidden first. You agree ?

No, I do not agree. Other than injuring someone else while drinking/drunk, it has nowhere near the second-hand effect that smoking does, which affects anyone and everyone within the smoker's radius.

6 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Why don't you check the WHO stance on smoking and their action in various countries. Or perhaps you think the WHO is also a fascist organization?

No I don't believe that they are. 

They were (I've read) advocates of the action taken in the UK and others, i.e.: a blanket ban on smoking indoors - which as I already stated I'm not actually against, as I understand the logic behind it and I am willing to compromise and respect others liberties and wishes - unlike the PC cigarette Nazis who abound on this thread it seems. This topic is not dealing with an 'indoor smoking ban', however.

IF the WHO are FOR banning smoking outdoors as well as in, then I would amend my first sentence. ????

28 minutes ago, CanterbrigianBangkoker said:

Quick to get all upset and heated aren't we!? Your delicate sensibilities are CLEARLY very easily offended. Again, this is YOUR problem not mine or anyone elses'. 

Get a load of little Lord Fauntleroy over here! ???? How hilariously lame..

I might feel similarly about a fat slob who is making a scene of wolfing down some disgusting, oversized plate of greasy crap on the next table to me, or a drunk propping up the table at the end of the bar who wreaks of booze, but I have no real grounds to ask them to move away. If have a problem with it can remove myself from the situation, after all, or deal with it - as this is what living in a functioning society requires.

The argument re: pollutants in the air vs 2nd hand smoke outdoors is a totally pertinent and valid one. I notice you won't even begin to debate it - because you can't. By the sounds of your precious and churlish rhetoric it sounds like you should do us all a favour and stay home or go and live in the closest fascist state. 

Relax <removed>...it's just the Internet.

Let me repeat for you - I don't care about the argument of second hand smoke killing me. It's unlikely as I choose not to hang around smokers.

I just don't like smoke or smokers. So, I am very happy to see these continual impediments.

We won. It's over. Get used to it.

2 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

No, I do not agree. Other than injuring someone else while drinking/drunk, it has nowhere near the second-hand effect that smoking does, which affects anyone and everyone within the smoker's radius.

You were not born before the central heating days then..I was, coal fires, diesel heaters in winter...Of course my forefathers had worse, but they all made it into their eighties even having a ciggy...????

58 minutes ago, TMNH said:

No- cognizant smokers have a boundary because they know it upsets people. However, if you think you can control that boundary, then stay home:)

Nah, just think I will hang around and take photos of all people getting fined. Can make a good Facebook page in the future.

29 minutes ago, transam said:

And what do you do with your buttends. ??

Post removed.

Argue/debate as much as you like but dont get personal in your remarks ! 

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

19 hours ago, HappyAndRich said:

That a very good step to promote public health and to get rid of all the bad smelling spews of all smokers.
If you want to smoke, get away from people and show some dignity and respect for other that don´t want your tobacco smoke in their lungs.

Same like a factory can´t dump their shit anywhere, due to that it´s bad for nature. You smokers can´t dump your dangerous smoke into other peoples lives and surroundings.

Thank You!

Can't wait for them to ban farting in occupied rooms. Then within 15 feet of an occupied room. Then altogether because it creates an ozone hole in the atmosphere.

Archived