New beers in 7/11 - Black Dragon and Huntsman

naboo

Over the last few years, there's been some OK ales produced by some small Thai brewers, probably the reason the big boys are doing probably inferior copycat products to be mass distributed at 7-11. Mahanakorn white ale and Chalawan among a few others I can't remember the names of offhand are the most drinkable Thai beers I know of. But I agree, I prefer the German Kaiserdom, best value for wheat beer, even available out in Isaan at minimarts and the like. The major Thai brewers do not produce very good beer, so I wouldn't even go there and try these.

Edited by Shaunduhpostman
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Justin Side said:

4% Ugh.

Yep, we all like beer just for the percentage? Really? Go back to LK.

2 hours ago, jmccarty said:

Let us know how they taste? 4% is light!

Se above……..

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What prices are they?

What do you think 55B, meant in the OP?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HappyAndRich said:

but it would be better if 7/11 started to zoom in on more of the well know and popular high class brands.

2bht more than the 'mom & pop' stores, and restricted selling times.

I never buy alcohol from 7-11, mostly because I'm bad at planning my purchase times.

So much easier from mom & pop.

Edited by BritManToo
typo
  • Thanks 2

I agree that their Snowy wheat beer doesn't meet the mark, but I'll try their new offering. I'll give the 'red beer' a miss though. I do enjoy their Tapper and have made that my number one choice here. A pity it only comes in one size though. Double footy to watch at a reasonable hour on Sunday so I'll get a large can of Kaiserdom in for that ????????

1 hour ago, marko kok prong said:

Why don't they import some bloody VB,or Melbourne bitter,even better Cascade.

A few years ago I was in Robin Hood bar in Bangkok and they sold Cascade light. Happy hour prices during the AFL, NRL games and that included takeaway. Had VB as well, same deal. It was cheaper than the pubs in Melbourne,

Black Dragon ? it is a golden dragon surely ?

Have a beer from Cheers named " Rice Berry ' which is quite a dark coloured beer with a malty taste and similar to " Newcastle Brown " so friends tell me and unlike lager should not be drank ice cold , just chilled . It has become very popular among some Brits up here in Issan because of the malty beer taste . Sold in small and large cans.

Have seen the small cans in " Tops " and both sizes in 7-11 . My pal has a bar/restaurant and now orders it in bulk as it is a good seller .

• Like 2

22 hours ago, BritManToo said:

2bht more than the 'mom & pop' stores, and restricted selling times.

I never buy alcohol from 7-11, mostly because I'm bad at planning my purchase times.

So much easier from mom & pop.

The mom & pop store down the road from me shut down but the 7 in the condo sells beer at any time.

These two (Huntsman and Black Dragon) are from Thai Bev, the brewers of Chang.

Tapper is another Thai Bev product.

Boonrawd, brewers of Singha, brought us Snowy and Copper EST 33.

The Cheers Riceberry is similar to both the Black Dragon and the Copper.

Snowy and Huntsman both look and taste like the semen of a Beach Road hooker.

Tapper is drinkable, which is more than can be said for the rest.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, superal said:

Black Dragon ? it is a golden dragon surely ?

Have a beer from Cheers named " Rice Berry ' which is quite a dark coloured beer with a malty taste and similar to " Newcastle Brown " so friends tell me and unlike lager should not be drank ice cold , just chilled . It has become very popular among some Brits up here in Issan because of the malty beer taste . Sold in small and large cans.

Have seen the small cans in " Tops " and both sizes in 7-11 . My pal has a bar/restaurant and now orders it in bulk as it is a good seller .

Where does a beer made from rice get it's malty taste from?

I tried the Huntsman last night and it is probably the worst beer I have had in my life. Kind of a beer version of Earl Grey tea. Tapper is the only one of the 7-11 beers that I like, and that has become my Thai beer of choice. A pity that it comes in only one size though.

On 11/9/2018 at 12:06 AM, janclaes47 said:

Where does a beer made from rice get it's malty taste from?

From what I can recall it says on the can roasted rice berry & malt . I am not a lover of it but have friends who like it very much , try it yourself and let me know what you think .

Just now, superal said:

From what I can recall it says on the can roasted rice berry & malt . I am not a lover of it but have friends who like it very much , try it yourself and let me know what you think .

I did try it several times many moons ago, it doesn't taste bad, but it doesn't resemble even closely a dark beer as we know it at home.

I also found that it's quite heavy on the stomach, like gives you that full feeling after 3 or 4 cans

Tried them both. None of them are any good. Huntsman is a parody of Snowy Weizen both priced at 55 Baht. If I had to choose Huntsman or Snowy, I would choose Snowy because it is of better quality. 

Black dragon is another boring beer.

I wish they brewed affordable IPAs and dark beers instead of this junk.