DHL / Customs scam ?

tonboy

Hello - everyone. I made the mistake of having a vendor ship me a 1000 baht item DHL and now DHL is holding it. Going forward I will use USPS. 

They are asking me to "

1.    Authorize DHL process on your behalf (service fee THB 1,500) , Please provide copy of passport first page ,

copy visa page and copy immigration page .

2.   Visit Thai customs office and register by yourself, please advise schedule

It appears I need to 'register' before even having the ability to pay the tax. I read through this thread and can't see any info on this registration process with Thai customs. Can someone enlighten me or point me in a direction of what this process is? Can I just go down to Thai customs and quickly register? 

Thanks in advance for any insight.

3 hours ago, SurfDog82 said:

Hello - everyone. I made the mistake of having a vendor ship me a 1000 baht item DHL and now DHL is holding it. Going forward I will use USPS. 

They are asking me to "

1.    Authorize DHL process on your behalf (service fee THB 1,500) , Please provide copy of passport first page ,

copy visa page and copy immigration page .

2.   Visit Thai customs office and register by yourself, please advise schedule

It appears I need to 'register' before even having the ability to pay the tax. I read through this thread and can't see any info on this registration process with Thai customs. Can someone enlighten me or point me in a direction of what this process is? Can I just go down to Thai customs and quickly register? 

Thanks in advance for any insight.

If you need it, then go ahaed. And reside in it that DHL has f*cked you. And whenever and where ever possible, DHL, but also UPS will scr*w you. 

If you not really need it, phone them, explain the situation and make a pay settlement like 500 thb. Could be that they not agree driectly, could be that they will never agree. Also thell them that they can send it back in that case or destroy it. 
If there is missing documentation that the seller should have taken care of AND the DHL servicepoint at the senders side should have checked and therefore should have reject the shipment, point this out to them also. In that case why should you suffer from their mistake.

By the way "register at customs" is not easy, this is done for the reason you need a import license for your goods. 

Good luck

Edited by tonboy

The rules are outlined here :

http://en.customs.go.th/content.php?ini_content=individuals_151007_04&lang=en&left_menu=menu_individuals_151007_04

Specifically this part :

Category 1: Low value postal items : This category comprises postal items having no commercial value and which are exempted from taxes and duties provided that they are subject to the criteria listed below :
  • The value does not exceed 1,500 baht; and
  • The item is a commercial sample of no commercial value.
Any items that are prohibited and restricted are excluded.
The postal items under Category 1 are delivered to the Thailand Post for further distribution to the consignees at the given address.

Category 2 : Postal items subject to applicable taxes and duties : This category comprises postal items of which FOB value is above 1,500 baht but does not exceed 40,000 baht and which are subjected to taxes and duties.

Your mistake may have been using a courier for such a low value item.

Thanks guys. I'm guessing they added the shipping amount because the value of the item is indeed less than 1500bhat. 

At this point I'll make a call to the agent and see what she says. If it's a fuss I'll tell them to send it back and just order again via USPS. 

And you guys are right, I've never had an issue with USPS, EMS/e-packet or the like but always do with Fedex/DHL. 

On 11/7/2018 at 8:27 PM, melvinmelvin said:

ye ye ye, re dhl and great job

while in LoS have had some DHL stuff sent to me

one from us

two from uk

two from netherlands

one from germany

three from norway

not a single one has ever reached me, great job indeed

my address is not tricky

3 clicks away there is a huge dhl distribution centre

use thailand post

Is this a free-form poem? Rare for Thai Visa . . . 
Well done! Keep practicing!