HIV+ soldier accused of raping 75 boys

snoop1130

14 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Also keep in mind the boys and men he allegedly met (reportedly about a third were underage) were freely seeking male to male sex but were deceived about who they were to meet in a very major way. That happens all the time in online hookups but this was an extreme case. So as far as HIV risk one would hope that these boys and men have been educated about safer sex methods. Obviously if they were forcibly raped in a literal way (again, that is not clear from the news report) they wouldn't be in a position to insist on safer sex. But we don't know such details. What I'm getting at here  is that these are boys and men seeking sex with males and as far as their HIV risk in life it's a lot broader than being about one incident with one person (which I agree the risk is low from one incident). So as they're being talked to about these alleged crimes, I hope especially the younger ones are also talked to about safer sex practices in GENERAL. 

While we're at it -- how about encouraging people to meet online hookups in a PUBLIC setting first. Common sense often ignored. No, I am not blaming the victims. 

Ok let's sssume some consented to sex and were over age. He should still have told them or at least protected them, but they should have also protected themselves.

The children under Thai law were raped which ever way you look at it, and he should face the death sentence for this as an hoborrant crime. 

This is a guy in the U.K. who did a similar thing but with grown men, he has just gone to jail. We unfortunately don't have the death penalty.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-43807662

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

So I'm kind of confused why people are obsessed with the death penalty in this case.

Wouldn't convicting him for many years be basically the same (or worse)?

Only if it were a lifetime sentence i.e. until he dies - no early release under any circumstances!

8 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

What are 13 year olds doing on sites chatting with gay men in the first place? Whatever, those young boys still believed they were going to have a sexual encounter with another male. How do they know that even if meeting up with youths that who they meet still don`t have STDs or aids?

Where are he parents and why are they not keeping watch on their children? Not victim blaming here, but children should be taught the dangers of meeting people on the social media.

I am of the view that many parents do not know what is available or occurs on social media and the internet, nor how to access it.  However, a child is given a phone to keep them quiet and their browsing history ignored by the parents but not by the internet.  I would be interested to know how many have been lured in by various pop up ads to visit sites with deeper and darker content.  Kids are curious and will, like many of us trying to get hold of Mayfair and Penthouse in the past, go and have a look.  Sadly the predators know where to find them and how to entrap them; in fact the 13 year old may not know he's chatting with a gay man but think he is dealing with an understanding and sympathetic older brother.  Once trust is established the danger is real.

I fully agree that kids need to be made aware of the dangers of social media sites and the people they may encounter there; but I'm not so sure that many parents are capable of doing so.

18 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That is not what I said.

I said there is no proof the death penalty acts as a deterrent.

What you are calling for is revenge, not punishment.

I support punishment {and have no problem with harsh sentencing}, but not revenge, therefore I do not support the death penalty.

The death penalty doesn't deter such behaviour. Look at countries where it is implemented, and then look at the crime and murder rates in those countries. There are a couple of exceptions, but for the most part, countries that use the death penalty have higher crime and murder rates than those that don't. Furthermore, innocent people can get caught up in the death penalty system, and have been executed while innocent. But for me also, I don't think the state should be able to kill it's people as a form of punishment, and then expect the very same people not to kill others. It's kind of a double standard and leads as a bad example. 

Edited by Easy Come Easy Go
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That is not what I said.

I support punishment {and have no problem with harsh sentencing}, but not revenge, therefore I do not support the death penalty.

While not saying revenge.

And not really agreeing it is an effective deterrent before the fact for molesters being an obvious fact. These types don’t really seem to be warned off by most social threats against their predilection. Obsessive till the end.

Just noting that certainly DEATH would stop further HIV infections and aids deaths by this guy rather finally, unless the kids are necrophiliacs.

A diddler who knows he is HIV+ is far far worse than a typical one. Neither is good, but one knows he is spreading a deadly disease and does it anyway.

30-50 kids and some blackmailed???

this guy is a new level of evil and would not be safe even in a super max prison unless in isolation forever. He’d go infect others in GenPop which is bad too. That is unless they just shive him first early on. 

11 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I don't think it's that clear cut at all on viral loads for people on meds

Actually it is and is backed up by several studies now. The HIV portion of this story is to sensationalize this story even more to drive clicks.

12 minutes ago, animatic said:

While not saying revenge.

And not really agreeing it is an effective deterrent before the fact for molesters being an obvious fact. These types don’t really seem to be warned off by most social threats against their predilection. Obsessive till the end.

Just noting that certainly DEATH would stop further HIV infections and aids deaths by this guy rather finally, unless the kids are necrophiliacs.

A diddler who knows he is HIV+ is far far worse than a typical one. Neither is good, but one knows he is spreading a deadly disease and does it anyway.

30-50 kids and some blackmailed???

this guy is a new level of evil and would not be safe even in a super max prison unless in isolation forever. He’d go infect others in GenPop which is bad too. That is unless they just shive him first early on. 

I believe he should be punished for what he did. However the death penalty is not something I support in any case. 

As I say, I do not regard it as justice, but rather revenge. 

• Sad 1

Replying to the snowflakes, in daoys gone by the Death sentence was used to not only detere but also as a act of punishment to the guilty perpretrator, these days lack of death penalty means that the STATE ( aka the public ) have to pick up the bill to continue to house feed and take care of this person. BUT in most cases the stae does not offer similar compensation to the victims and in this case if infected that is al;so a life sentence possibnly culminating in an earlier than perceived death. So Sorry the death penalty does serve the PUBLIC , ensuring the perpretrator cannot do the offence again, the victim or their families can get closure and the state well they do not have to look after him. 

So those that are against the Death penalty if it was YOUR son/cousin etc, what would you wish ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

I clearly have a different view on how society should treat its criminals.

The article you quoted is not a study, it is an opinion piece using selected data. 

Plenty of studies argue there is no proof that the death penalty acts as a deterrent. 

Law is not always about deterrent, sometimes it is about doing the best thing for society. In some cases where the evidence is incontrovertible that a person committed offences so grave or so often, that there is no equivalent punishment. The best thing to do is to eliminate the person from being a burden on the state. The question of deterrence makes no difference, some people cannot be dettered. But society is better served by the removal of the offender.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Law is not always about deterrent, sometimes it is about doing the best thing for society. In some cases where the evidence is incontrovertible that a person committed offences so grave or so often, that there is no equivalent punishment. The best thing to do is to eliminate the person from being a burden on the state. The question of deterrence makes no difference, some people cannot be dettered. But society is better served by the removal of the offender.

It is never the best thing to “eliminate” someone. 

Society is never best served by having the state execute its citizens. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Sad 3

Society is always served when a person, convicted incontrovertibly of offences that can harm or has harmed many , especially in this case with intent, then removing that person permanently serves society, that will then know THAT offender can never ever harm anyone again. 

lets face it we have the Police and other agencies because we all wanted to pay someone to doa job we did not want to do, the old Hue and Cry would have him dead by now !!

• Like 1

Actually it is and is backed up by several studies now. The HIV portion of this story is to sensationalize this story even more to drive clicks.
I don't think the risk is zero. If it's zero why are people in relationships with positive partners prescribed prep prevention medications?

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That is not what I said.

I support the Death penalty for such cases. mainly because it is the only method that stops a person ever having the opportunity to reoffend.

• Like 1

Just now, Kiwiken said:

I support the Death penalty for such cases. mainly because it is the only method that stops a person ever having the opportunity to reoffend.

Yes, that argument has been put to me several times on this thread. 

My response then, as now, is the same. The state should not execute it’s citizens. 

Crime should be punished, harshly, but the death penalty is not punishment, it is revenge. 

I support law and order, but not revenge. 

21 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That is not what I said.

I do, why should I pay for this low life to have a long and healthy life, at my cost? Let him live in a room of your house, that way you can feel warm and fuzzy every time you see him eating, watching TV, looking out of the window remembering every time he conned and raped a young boy, wondering how long each boy will live with the horror of a disease eating him alive!

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, TPI said:

I do, why should I pay for this low life to have a long and healthy life, at my cost? Let him live in a room of your house, that way you can feel warm and fuzzy every time you see him eating, watching TV, looking out of the window remembering every time he conned and raped a young boy, wondering how long each boy will live with the horror of a disease eating him alive!

Just because I don't think the death penalty should be applied, that does not mean I have any sympathy for this piece of filth.

As I said on post 1, he is scum.

However I do believe that it is wrong for the state to execute it's citizens.

I believe in harsh sentencing for crimes like theses, very harsh, but I cannot support revenge and that is what the death penalty is.

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Just because I don't think the death penalty should be applied, that does not mean I have any sympathy for this piece of filth.

I believe in harsh sentencing for crimes like theses, very harsh, but I cannot support revenge and that is what the death penalty is.

I prefer the word retribution

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Every prison sentence is revenge, to think that judges and juries have punishment on their collective minds denies the cruelty that lives in every modern man/woman...people are not nice, in my opinion the only reason Christians believe as they do is to protect themselves from "blame" at the end of days!!

21 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That is not what I said.

For a very small minority harsh penalties do not act as a deterrent, they will commit their evil crimes for as long as freedom to commit them exists... 

For these minority cases where life long incarceration is not possible then the death penalty is a great deterrent to protect innocent victims !

• Like 1

Excuse me but at this point we don't even know if he infected even one person so maybe get back to dealing with facts instead of unhinged hysteria.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app