Strangers talking on baht buses in these "interesting" times

Jingthing

I will add the point of this thread is for people to post accounts of things that happened on baht buses that more or less meet the spirit of this thread. Random encounters of people that would have never "met" before that result in something that might be of interest to some people. 

If some people are horrified that this topic exists, may I kindly suggest, just stop reading it and certainly stop posting to it?!?

Does it harm you if a topic exists that rubs you the wrong way? Don't bother answering. It does not.

If it turns out I'm the only one that has any baht bus anecdotes to post about, then the thread will just fade away. No problemo.

As far as my own potential posts here if the thread continues, I have no idea when there might be a new "interesting" anecdote to post about. It might be tonight or months from now. It's all so very random.

Obviously if nothing happens on the buses or if what does happen is totally banal and uninteresting, there is nothing to post about.

An example of a pedestrian, banal baht bus thing. (Yes, real.)

Russian man wearing Canadian hockey hat.

Canadian man asking, Are you Canadian?

Russian man -- No, I'm Russian. We like hockey.

Canadian man - We like hockey too.

Smiles.

(Such as above I consider too banal to post about but I'm not stopping you if you don't!)

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

BTW, I think the word ANECDOTE is the perfect word to describe the spirit of this topic. I wish I had included it in the headline and O.P.

Definition --

a short account of a particular incident or event, especially of an interesting or amusing nature.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/anecdotes

So bring on your baht bus ANECDOTES. Or not. Up to you.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I will add the point of this thread is for people to post accounts of things that happened on baht buses that more or less meet the spirit of this thread. Random encounters of people that would have never "met" before that result in something that might be of interest to some people. 

I respectfully submit that the spirit of this thread was to reinforce your expressed (in my opinion) belief that Donald Trump is the virtual spirit of evil in this world. You wanted to demonstrate, I beleive, that thats the main topic on the baht bus, rendering posters to opine that they are ashamed to be American, etc. But now, pages in, you aren't getting the answers you want, so you complain and change the subject to "anecdotes" about riding the baht bus. Perhaps you should ask the Mods to close this one and start another? It will be far more fun. I saw a farang girl barf once off the side.

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Thanks 1

The OP starts a thread ostensibly to discuss Baht bus gossip picked up while spying on other passengers, only to rant for 15 pages about Trump and Putin, and spew prejudice about Russians based on a few brief observations. :coffee1: Obsessed.

There are plenty of other pages on Thaivisa for political whinges, right?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Putin's authoritarian political movement has strong aspects of toxic ethnic white nationalism.

You're correct about some of the most toxic homophobia in the world being in Africa and the Caribbean but its not as if what I observed on the baht bus involved any such people. It did not.

If you read that ride description as an assertion that homophobia is only a white thing I certainly did no such thing!

It was a slice of life on a baht bus which I observed using my POV and voice which is the only voice I can authentically communicate with.

I sincerely welcome others to post their observations of possibly interesting slice of life encounters between different nationalities or different tribes of the same nationality on the baht busses using their particular voices.

That's what this thread is about.

Maybe it can be seen as an experimental concept. We shall see.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

What is POV code for?

Just now, yogi100 said:

What is POV code for?

Just Point of View. We all have our own POV. This is a discussion forum that is open for people to express theirs. But some people obviously hate freedom of expression of POVs that they find unpleasant. Thus the gang of bullies trying (and surely succeeding) in killing this thread. Disgusting!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

If you don't have any ON TOPIC anecdotes to post here (see the O.P.) I kindly ask you to let this thread stand. But I get it now. Toxic members here that can't even tolerate a topic that bothers them, can't just leave it be and move along. They would rather aggressively lobby to CENSOR such content. 

As I made perfectly clear in the O.P. any such reports of things happening on baht buses that involve random encounters between nationalities are welcome. I was not limiting them to stories that reflect an anti-U.S. president bias.

It make it no secret that I have an anti-U.S. president bias and an anti-Putin bias. Others have different biases and they are welcome to reflect ANY BIAS they want in their POV posting about baht bus incidents. 

Did I ever suggest they couldn't or shouldn't?!?

Answer -- NO. 

Yes I do believe the current U.S. president is high on the minds of many nationals these days and mostly negative, Americans obviously but also EUROPEANS. Polls show objectively that the regard of the USA has fallen dramatically since 2016 except in a few countries. I am not making that up. I think that's obvious but this isn't really an argument about that.

I was looking for INTERESTING CONTENT about random encounters that happen between different nationalities on Pattaya baht busses. But you and your destructive disruptive hijacking ilk only want bland content here or content that massages YOUR biases.

I guess you win, but I'm not happy about that because I find such persistent harassment truly obnoxious. 

Now a personal question to you and the others that have now obviously murdered this thread -- how many interesting threads have YOU started and if none or not many, is your game only about KILLING other people's topics?

Well said. There's nothing wrong in discussing Putin or Trump or any other topic that may arise in the course of any discussion or debate. Things are bound to veer off course occasionally.

If we all stuck to the relating of conversations heard on baht buses this topic would never have made 15 pages. Personally I can't remember any conversation of note that I've heard on a BB.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

If you don't have any ON TOPIC anecdotes to post here (see the O.P.) I kindly ask you to let this thread stand. But I get it now. Toxic members here that can't even tolerate a topic that bothers them, can't just leave it be and move along. They would rather aggressively lobby to CENSOR such content. 

As I made perfectly clear in the O.P. any such reports of things happening on baht buses that involve random encounters between nationalities are welcome. I was not limiting them to stories that reflect an anti-U.S. president bias.

It make it no secret that I have an anti-U.S. president bias and an anti-Putin bias. Others have different biases and they are welcome to reflect ANY BIAS they want in their POV posting about baht bus incidents. 

Did I ever suggest they couldn't or shouldn't?!?

Answer -- NO. 

Yes I do believe the current U.S. president is high on the minds of many nationals these days and mostly negative, Americans obviously but also EUROPEANS. Polls show objectively that the regard of the USA has fallen dramatically since 2016 except in a few countries. I am not making that up. I think that's obvious but this isn't really an argument about that.

I was looking for INTERESTING CONTENT about random encounters that happen between different nationalities on Pattaya baht busses. But you and your destructive disruptive hijacking ilk only want bland content here or content that massages YOUR biases.

I guess you win, but I'm not happy about that because I find such persistent harassment truly obnoxious. 

Now a personal question to you and the others that have now obviously murdered this thread -- how many interesting threads have YOU started and if none or not many, is your game only about KILLING other people's topics?

Yes this thread had been great fun and intuitive to see the variety of bus travellers we have all been missing.

Very interesting to see how much more we are aware of what people do on the bus in the future?

As we say in the UK the ‘the wheels have come off the bus’. RIP Bharat bus thread we will miss you so much.

The idea was --

What happens on the Pattaya baht buses, does NOT stay on the Pattaya baht buses.

BTW, I have been using both buses and busses not sure which was correct. So I just looked it up --

https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/plural-of-bus

Is it 'Buses' or 'Busses'?

Hardly anyone uses 'busses' anymore—even if it does sound like the logical choice

• Like 1

I'm under the impression many Brit and Canadians on TVF  are fervent supports of The Donald.   No doubt they'll come forward to declare.

Depends on the individual. I'm pretty certain both of those places join most of the rest of the world in a deep decline in regard for the USA since 2016.

Again this topic does not exist for political debate.

It's an invitation for people to post anecdotes about INTERESTING encounters BETWEEN strangers of different nationalities or strangers of the same nationality on the Pattaya baht buses.

Sometimes those incidents will be explicitly political and sometimes not.

All such anecdotes that you feel will be interesting to some readers are welcome.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

The majority of the time there isn't.

I have the feeling that strangers who meet on taxis or buses don't interact a lot these days, or at least much less than in the not too distant past.

btw, this could be an interesting topic, if it was not limited to Pattaya Baht Buses.

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Depends on the individual. I'm pretty certain both of those places join most of the rest of the world in a deep decline in regard for the USA since 2016.

Again this topic does not exist for political debate.

It's an invitation for people to post anecdotes about INTERESTING encounters BETWEEN strangers of different nationalities or strangers of the same nationality on the Pattaya baht buses.

Sometimes those incidents will be explicitly political and sometimes not.

All such anecdotes that you feel will be interesting to some readers are welcome.

The subject of politics often crops up in any discussion. Gun control and health care are issues that have political implications.

You yourself mentioned gun control and health care as well as politics in your opening post. All Western countries are affected by immigration so that is a topic that will always crop up in conversation.

We read about the goings on in Sweden and we want to know what Swedish people themselves have to say about it. It was the same in connection with Americans regarding the election of Trump, Germans regarding Merkel's millions and the British regarding Brexit.

It's natural in any conversation, folk are naturally inquisitive.

3 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I have the feeling that strangers who meet on taxis or buses don't interact a lot these days, or at least much less than in the not too distant past.

btw, this could be an interesting topic, if it was not limited to Pattaya Baht Buses.

I chatted with a dude on the BTS from California, here on business 3 times a year, he is fed up with anything to to with China, China business, Chinese tourists and probably Chinese food ????

He thinks California should be its own country so they get their head out of the clouds and learn that life isnt Sanctuary Cities,  and PC correctness. He said nothing like state bankruptcy to get your finances straight. He said his taxes are so high he cries (he probably makes a mill based on his company and the Gold Rollie and where he lives) and he is just keeping his mouth shut, counting his days, and going to retire and move to Reno. He laughed when I asked him if he was going to retire here. He got off at Chit Lom, bet HE goes to Spasso a lot.

• Like 1

I want to limit it to Pattaya baht buses. Sorry. There is a particular dynamic happening on these buses this being such a major international beach tourism city.
The mix of unlikely nationalities randomly forced together in close proximity on the major Pattaya transport mode is a particular cultural aspect of the Pattaya experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The subject of politics often crops up in any discussion. Gun control and health care are issues that have political implications.  

You yourself mentioned gun control and health care as well as politics in your opening post. All Western countries are affected by immigration so that is a topic that will always crop up in conversation.

We read about the goings on in Sweden and we want to know what Swedish people themselves have to say about it. It was the same in connection with Americans regarding the election of Trump, Germans regarding Merkel's millions and the British regarding Brexit.

It's natural in any conversation, folk are naturally inquisitive.

Yes it is.Duh.

And I'm asking people to avoid explicit political debate between each other on this thread.

If you don't have an on topic Pattaya baht bus anecdote to post about it would really be helpful to not post at all.

Because that's why this thread exists.

If nobody has any such on topic anecdotes to post, then the thread dies a natural death.

That's fine.

What I so strongly objected to before was it being murdered.

I ride the BRT most afternoons and no one engages me in small talk.  

The last time someone tried to engage me in political talk was some <deleted> Brit who wanted to complain about then President, George W. Bush, while I was trapped in an elevator with said creep.  I couldn't wait to reach the ground floor and be rid of this piss-head-annoying-<deleted> who felt that just because I was American he could shit all over me with his boring opinion.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it is.Duh.

And I'm asking people to avoid explicit political debate between each other on this thread.

If you don't have an on topic Pattaya baht bus anecdote to post about it would really be helpful to not post at all.

Because that's why this thread exists.

If nobody has any such on topic anecdotes to post, then the thread dies a natural death.

That's fine.

What I so strongly objected to before was it being murdered.

Promise you won't keep murdering it with your political rants? ????

Pattaya Baht buses ... Gotta love the angry drunks and lowlifes that have washed up in Pattaya, stuck riding the cheap public transport.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If some people are horrified that this topic exists, may I kindly suggest, just stop reading it and certainly stop posting to it?!?

Does it harm you if a topic exists that rubs you the wrong way? Don't bother answering. It does not.

If it turns out I'm the only one that has any baht bus anecdotes to post about, then the thread will just fade away. No problemo.

As far as my own potential posts here if the thread continues, I have no idea when there might be a new "interesting" anecdote to post about. It might be tonight or months from now. It's all so very random.

Obviously if nothing happens on the buses or if what does happen is totally banal and uninteresting, there is nothing to post about.

An example of a pedestrian, banal baht bus thing. (Yes, real.)

Russian man wearing Canadian hockey hat.

Canadian man asking, Are you Canadian?

Russian man -- No, I'm Russian. We like hockey.

Canadian man - We like hockey too.

Smiles.

(Such as above I consider too banal to post about but I'm not stopping you if you don't!)

I get it JT, you are just an "observer", think it comes with maturity and you  also like a discussion. AKA simulation of the grey matter

Great and so do I. Perception is not a quality that is shared by too many people but it does have two sharp edges as you are finding out.

Keep up your "observations" and keep writing them down in your very interesting threads, I certainly whilst not always agreeing with your perspective always welcome reading it!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, n210mp said:

I get it JT, you are just an "observer", think it comes with maturity and you  also like a discussion. AKA simulation of the grey matter

Great and so do I. Perception is not a quality that is shared by too many people but it does have two sharp edges as you are finding out.

Keep up your "observations" and keep writing them down in your very interesting threads, I certainly whilst not always agreeing with your perspective always welcome reading it!

I appreciate your post very much.

Of course I don't expect everyone (or even most people) to agree with me or like my posts. That would indeed be very immature.

Back to the baht buses, as I ride them so much, and for so long, I think I'm in a good position to make these observations.

As far as "interesting" encounters on the buses, I don't actively seek them out at all, with a few exceptions. But sometimes they just happen, either with my involvement or observing others.

Something I haven't mentioned before is my observation that once every 10 or 20 of my rides, generally at night when people may be more jolly, a single "cocktail lounge" host asserts himself. It's always a male. What these baht bus hosts generally do is actively start asking many or all the strangers around them what is their nationality. That's almost always the first question.

Now it's so true a cliché that most people in the world are able to separate individual people from their national governments and policies, but it's also true that there is usually an underlying subtext with such encounters that isn't quite so PollyAnnish. 

So these cocktail lounge host instigated mass baht bus group hugs are usually a bit of a superficial love in. But not always. Sometimes some tense feelings are revealed. 

It depends on the specific random mix and chemistry of the individuals. 

While I'm not personally seeking political conflict on the buses I do enjoy speaking quite often with tourists of different nationalities on matters such as the correct fare to pay, where do I get off for Walking street, etc. I'm often approached on such matters and I'm very happy to be helpful. Sometimes but usually not such banal exchanges morph into nationalities and then sometimes politics. Then as an American in these "interesting" times there can be a bit of an egg shell dance in understanding where is this non-American coming from and for them what kind of American I am.

As far as potentially hot political discussions I'm much more interested in fellow Americans than non-Americans. Sometimes but not usually I'm moved to inject myself in such discussions particularly if it's an American that is telling absurd things to foreigners.

Edited by Jingthing

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sometimes but not usually I'm moved to inject myself in such discussions particularly if it's an American that is telling absurd things to foreigners.

How would you feel if someone injected himself into a private discussion you were having because you are telling them "absurd things"?????????????

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Sometimes but not usually I'm moved to inject myself in such discussions particularly if it's an American that is telling absurd things to foreigners.

The American OP has been telling some truly absurd things on this thread :clap2: I can't resist injecting a few condescending chuckles :cheesy:

• Like 2

Strange! Whenever I board a Baht-Bus it's only nationalites that talk to each other (boarding the bus together). Otherwise it's strictly a deafening silence. If it wasen't for the street noise, you could hear a pin drop. No spontaineous international verbal interactions taking place.

- This may change after 11 PM. But then it's more like Johnnie Walker trying to engage Jack Daniels in a meaningful conversation aboard a Baht-Bus.

Clearly, I must be boarding the wrong Baht-Buses at the wrong time. Or boarding the right Baht-Buses at the right time, depending on expectations and perceptions.
Cheers.

1 hour ago, swissie said:

Strange! Whenever I board a Baht-Bus it's only nationalites that talk to each other (boarding the bus together). Otherwise it's strictly a deafening silence. If it wasen't for the street noise, you could hear a pin drop. No spontaineous international verbal interactions taking place.

- This may change after 11 PM. But then it's more like Johnnie Walker trying to engage Jack Daniels in a meaningful conversation aboard a Baht-Bus.

Clearly, I must be boarding the wrong Baht-Buses at the wrong time. Or boarding the right Baht-Buses at the right time, depending on expectations and perceptions.
Cheers.

Could be different routes.

Just observed another such encounter tonight but it's too banal to detail. The majority of such exchanges are not interesting.

I don't count people just asking where to get off for Walking Street as being "incidents" at all, banal or not.

A typical minimum that might result in something interesting are people asking strangers their nationality.

Sometimes the nationality is obvious, such as Russians speaking Russian, and the "instigator" who is not Russian might say Russian? to start things up.

Like you, I wouldn't include people engaging others of the same nationality (which is of course common) EXCEPT if that becomes interesting. But practically if you don't understand the language you wouldn't even know.

For example, if two Americans start yelling at each other over current events, that could be interesting. 

I counted the tense situation between the two very different groups of Russians as being interesting. 

So the "rules" aren't set in stone of course. Anything interesting that roughly meets the concept here happening on PATTAYA BAHT BUSES.

The point of this thread is to encourage people to post about the INTERESTING encounters.

Also to add, these baht buses are small CONFINED spaces. But they are also PUBLIC spaces. 

Conversations in that environment if the language is understood especially when strangers are going around the bus asking people their nationality are NOT strictly private conversations, as between a couple at a table at a restaurant. 

Edited by Jingthing

18 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I did remember a young guy last year on the BB ask me where I was from.

I told him and he said: "I am from Iran do you hate me"?

I would have said, naw dude, just because your brother sold me a fake Rolex I dont hold it against you  ????????????????????????????????????????????