Strangers talking on baht buses in these "interesting" times

Jingthing

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That's a pretty specific fetish, dude. There really aren't all that many Brazilian Americans and Argentinian Americans. 

Where were you educated? There are 209 million Brazilians and 44 million Argentinians in America.

4 minutes ago, Oink said:

Where were you educated? There are 209 million Brazilians and 44 million Argentinians in America.

Please don't waste the space here with such cliched ridiculousness. I've traveled to both nations. They do not refer to their nationality as AMERICANS. They are Brazilians and Argentinians. If they filled out an immigration form and put down American as their nationality they would be confronted as being full of the brown stuff, and you know it too, so who do you think you're fooling? Next you will be telling us that the people of Zimbabwe as they live in South Africa are actually of South African nationality. They are not. 

The only NATIONALITY that are Americans are from the USA.

Edited by Jingthing

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:
7 hours ago, mauGR1 said:

I was not insulted, but i accept your apologies in advance , just in case you decide to insult me :smile:

You are right though, some Americans are too serious, but nobody's perfect, isn't it..

I'm not so sure about that. Sometimes I think Americans are not serious enough. If you don't know what I'm talking about, think about it. 

Tbh, i was referring to a stereotype, i.e. the presumed inability to perceive irony, but i know it's just a stereotype, and i hope you're not offended.

Now, i am sure that, as you say, there are cases where Americans are not serious enough, but i cannot mention a specific instance.

I have to warn you though, Italians are not the best subjects to discuss seriousness with.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Tbh, i was referring to a stereotype, i.e. the presumed inability to perceive irony, but i know it's just a stereotype, and i hope you're not offended.

Now, i am sure that, as you say, there are cases where Americans are not serious enough, but i cannot mention a specific instance.

I have to warn you though, Italians are not the best subjects to discuss seriousness with.

I do indeed reject that stereotype and present as evidence one of the most popular comedy shows in American t.v. history -- The Seinfeld show that relied heavily on ironic humor. Of course different nationalities have different senses of humor and also humor and jokes when written in forums or emails, etc. lack the tone of speaking voice that might otherwise provide clues of the intention.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I do indeed reject that stereotype and present as evidence one of the most popular comedy shows in American t.v. history -- The Seinfeld show that relied heavily on ironic humor. Of course different nationalities have different senses of humor and also humor and jokes when written in forums or emails, etc. lack the tone of speaking voice that might otherwise provide clues of the intention.

I guess we can all agree that humour is a necessary tool for survival.

As we say in my home country : " the situation is desperate, but not serious ".

..I don't watch tv since nearly 40 years, but as a boy i used to love Laurel & Hardy..

Just now, mauGR1 said:

..I don't watch tv since nearly 40 years, but as a boy i used to love Laurel & Hardy..

You should watch some Seinfeld. It is about another era but I would be jealous of anyone that gets to watch it for the first time now. BTW -- I recall it also became very popular in some Asian nations, talk about lost in translation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You should watch some Seinfeld. It is about another era but I would be jealous of anyone that gets to watch it for the first time now. BTW -- I recall it also became very popular in some Asian nations, talk about lost in translation. 

You made me curious, i will try some search on youtube..

btw, travelling around Pattaya by Baht bus should be a constant source of funny anecdotes, i hope you will share some.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mauGR1 said:

You made me curious, i will try some search on youtube..

btw, travelling around Pattaya by Baht bus should be a constant source of funny anecdotes, i hope you will share some.

This talk just gave me a fantasy. In recent years much older Seinfeld has been doing a web series (also very good) called Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Because he's really into cars, comedy, and coffee. Talk about a dream gig for him. But I reckon he would hate riding the Pattaya baht buses. Imagine him doing some segments on the baht buses. Never happen of course but I like the fantasy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rumak said:

you're up early !  or are you just coming home from a late night (on a baht bus? )   

you know i don't come on here to insult the good TV people ......just a very few look to pick

a fight with me sometimes.  they obviously don't know that i am ex navy seal and decorated war hero (having survived many a keyboard attack ) !   ????

8 hours ago, rumak said:

you're up early !  or are you just coming home from a late night (on a baht bus? )   

you know i don't come on here to insult the good TV people ......just a very few look to pick

a fight with me sometimes.  they obviously don't know that i am ex navy seal and decorated war hero (having survived many a keyboard attack ) !   ????

You'll have to run point and stay on your own six with this lot. 

50 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Laurel and Hardy well before their time!

38 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This talk just gave me a fantasy. In recent years much older Seinfeld has been doing a web series (also very good) called Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. Because he's really into cars, comedy, and coffee. Talk about a dream gig for him. But I reckon he would hate riding the Pattaya baht buses. Imagine him doing some segments on the baht buses. Never happen of course but I like the fantasy.

Easy to have a fantasy thought on the Bhatt bus, but particularly so if you can get their line no, or ???? no.

brilliant funny topic!

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Please don't waste the space here with such cliched ridiculousness. I've traveled to both nations. They do not refer to their nationality as AMERICANS. They are Brazilians and Argentinians. If they filled out an immigration form and put down American as their nationality they would be confronted as being full of the brown stuff, and you know it too, so who do you think you're fooling? Next you will be telling us that the people of Zimbabwe as they live in South Africa are actually of South African nationality. They are not. 

The only NATIONALITY that are Americans are from the USA.

What about African Americans

20 minutes ago, Oink said:

What about African Americans

What about them? The majority of them have no idea of the specific nation that their ancestors came from because of the legacy of slavery and/or those nations didn't exist at the time their ancestors got on those slave boats.

If you're talking about Americans from Africa of more recent migration, they are generally NOT referred to as African Americans but rather Nigerian Americans, Ethiopian Americans, etc. Seriously, you didn't know that already!?!

http://ethiopianamerican.com/

Non-Americans telling Americans they can't call their own nationality what it is just too rich. What do you want us to say? United Statesers? That flows off the tongue real smooth. Also the implication that continents and nationalities are the same thing. They are not. At least this is something unusual that should unite all Americans -- the freakin' name of our collective nationality!

Edited by Jingthing

34 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

What about them? The majority of them have no idea of the specific nation that their ancestors came from because of the legacy of slavery and/or those nations didn't exist at the time their ancestors got on those slave boats.

If you're talking about Americans from Africa of more recent migration, they are generally NOT referred to as African Americans but rather Nigerian Americans, Ethiopian Americans, etc. Seriously, you didn't know that already!?!

http://ethiopianamerican.com/

Non-Americans telling Americans they can't call their own nationality what it is just too rich. What do you want us to say? United Statesers? That flows off the tongue real smooth. Also the implication that continents and nationalities are the same thing. They are not. At least this is something unusual that should unite all Americans -- the freakin' name of our collective nationality!

You could say that you are all North Americans, but that would really annoy the Canadians! And the poor Hawaiians would be really lost as they think they are from Polynesia.

5 minutes ago, Oink said:

You could say that you are all North Americans, but that would really annoy the Canadians! And the poor Hawaiians would be really lost as they think they are from Polynesia.

People of Mexico, the USA, and Canada are all living in North America but only the people of the USA are of American nationality. Is that too difficult for you to grasp? 

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

People of Mexico, the USA, and Canada are all living in North America but only the people of the USA are of American nationality. Is that too difficult for you to grasp? 

Really don't get it, what are Hawaiians then. Polynesian Americans in the same group as the Nigerians and Ethiopians?

A sub species of Americans?

Edited by Oink
typo

7 minutes ago, Oink said:

Really don't get it, what do you Hawaiians then. Polynesian Americans in the same group as the Nigerians and Ethiopians?

A sub species of Americans?

Hawaii is in the South Pacific. As Hawaii is a state, it's citizens are of American nationality. Most Americans in Hawaii are not native Hawaiians. It's an unusual case because Hawaii used to be an independent nation. 

Enough with this already. This line of discussions represents a HIJACK of this thread. Yes, I am culpable as well for engaging with you.

But enough already.

JUST STOP. ????

Back to the BAHT BUSES nationality encounters please.

Edited by Jingthing

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Hawaii is in the South Pacific. As Hawaii is a state, it's citizens are of American nationality. Most Americans in Hawaii are not native Hawaiians. It's an unusual case because Hawaii used to be an independent nation. 

Enough with this already. This line of discussions represents a HIJACK of this thread. Yes, I am culpable as well for engaging with you.

But enough already.

JUST STOP. ????

Back to the BAHT BUSES nationality encounters please.

OK its a deal. 

When I find myself on a Baht bus I wont talk to you about America and you will not listen to my conversations! ????

1 minute ago, Oink said:

OK its a deal. 

When I find myself on a Baht bus I wont talk to you about America and you will not listen to my conversations! ????

No deal. I listen to whatever is on offer. 

Coincidentally I took two long rides yesterday and with this topic in mind, I was disappointed that there wasn't any talking at all going on in any language. 

So it's not as if these entertaining slices of life happen on every or most rides.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Non-Americans telling Americans they can't call their own nationality what it is just too rich. What do you want us to say? United Statesers? That flows off the tongue real smooth.

How about Yankees or Yanks? It's what other nationalities call citizens of the USA.

• Like 1

Tangential sighting. White man of undetermined nationality wearing a Kanye for President t-shirt. Maybe he meant nothing by it but for those that have been watching recent Kanye news if he did mean something it would now be a very ambiguous message.

To add I recently read that Jesse Jackson for president t-shirts have become a big youth fashion trend in some Asian nations. Haven't seen in Thailand though. There is no political message. People like the anesthetics of the graphic!

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

12 hours ago, Jingthing said:

But it's confusing as North America goes as far North as Greenland nod as far south as panama? Which you. Would assume was South America.

my elocance at describing is not as effective as looking at the map (anything grey)

https://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/na.htm