Strangers talking on baht buses in these "interesting" times

Jingthing

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It certainly isn't but I won't expand on that.

Really, and I guess it's not working out too well, I want people to focus on these random discussions between people of different nationalities on baht buses (but could be other places) and when the discussions get into these "interesting" times. 

Whether overheard or more direct. 

Like I said before if directly asked (and it does happen) I do say my nationality and while that doesn't always necessarily get into a discussion of these "interesting" times I have noticed a marked difference in the reactions in the last few years. No, not from Thais! No difference with them at all. 

With other nationalities (not Thais) the most common reaction is a little bit of surprise because people don't usually assume I'm American based on appearance and an odd kind of look of disappointment / awkwardness / as if they wish they hadn't asked. That's pretty weird, wouldn't you say? From there I don't necessarily push talking about the orange elephant in the room but if they give hints at interest, I'm game to talk. Of course some non-Americans like the orange elephant which makes things even more interesting. 

Well, i also don't want to expand so much into politics, but may it be that is just your perception that has changed ?

I say that because i remember quite a few conversations with Americans years ago, and they were quite embarrassed to say they were Americans. Same with Israelis ( i am not anti-semitic at all )...

In Italy we had Berlusconi as prime minister, who is similar to T. in many ways, and people were keeping on asking me how Italians could vote for such an obvious clown..

I was not embarrassed, just a bit annoyed from answering the same questions.

21 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Well, i also don't want to expand so much into politics, but may it be that is just your perception that has changed ?

I say that because i remember quite a few conversations with Americans years ago, and they were quite embarrassed to say they were Americans. Same with Israelis ( i am not anti-semitic at all )...

In Italy we had Berlusconi as prime minister, who is similar to T. in many ways, and people were keeping on asking me how Italians could vote for such an obvious clown..

I was not embarrassed, just a bit annoyed from answering the same questions.

Well, as a leftist American I can say I didn't like George W. Bush but what's going on now is like a factor of 100 from that. So I would just tell non-Americans I don't like Bush, end of story. It's different now. MUCH DIFFERENT. Some people think the current one is just another president. No. His movement has already changed the USA for at least a generation or two and in my view very, very negative ways. Many people including me think it's as bad as being an existential threat to the future of American democracy which I respect many people think is hyperbole but maybe it's not. As the USA is still the major world power, of course thinking non-Americans will be interested in this as well. 

Yes I hear what you're saying about Berlusconi. Of course he was a clown. I think a difference, with all due respect, is that although Italy is a major nation in Europe, it's not a world power like the USA. So electing a ridiculous clown didn't mean to the world that Italy was looking like it was in deep dark fall because it wasn't considered that high up to begin with. 

Edited by Jingthing

13 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Well, as a leftist American I can say I didn't like George W. Bush but what's going on now is like a factor of 100 from that. So I would just tell non-Americans I don't like Bush, end of story. It's different now. MUCH DIFFERENT. Some people think the current one is just another president. No. His movement has already changed already changed the USA for at least a generation or two and in my view very, very negative ways. 

Good that you mentioned GWB, well, i appreciate what you say that now it's 100 times worse..

..But i think we'll have to disagree on that..

Of course, you know a lot better than me about what's going on in USA, but, if we talk about how other nationalities see America, well, it's not so different than before.

Actually, i think it's rather naive to blame everything on a single man.

Edited by mauGR1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Good that you mentioned GWB, well, i appreciate what you say that now it's 100 times worse..

Of course, you know a lot better than me about what's going on in USA, but, if we talk about how other nationalities see America, well, it's not so different than before.

I'm not. It's his movement that had been developing for decades. It had roots in the fascist America First movement in the 1930s. He saw the opportunity and he grabbed it. 

A difference I see is that to many Americans either pro or con what's happened appears to be a SEA CHANGE. Much darker. Much more hatred. Much more division. But a leader that actively trolls that up for his own benefit makes a big difference. Not just another change in the white house that can easily be "fixed" next election cycle. Maybe most non-Americans don't see it that way. I don't really know that. I can only speak for myself and also my observations of reactions I see these days from non-Americans. 

Edited by Jingthing

22 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes I hear what you're saying about Berlusconi. Of course he was a clown. I think a difference, with all due respect, is that although Italy is a major nation in Europe, it's not a world power like the USA. So electing a ridiculous clown didn't mean to the world that Italy was looking like it was in deep dark fall because it wasn't considered that high up to begin with. 

Just saw your editing..

Well, as small as Italy is, the internal politics dynamics are similar, if not the same.

He was successful in dividing the public opinion, and, while getting the whole attention from the media, taking away the focus from the real issues, i.e. economy, environment, healthcare, foreign politics etc.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Kind of off topic here as I've made it clear this topic really isn't about Thais because they are a people with so little interest in the outside world (with exceptions of course that people tell me about but not much in my experience). I agree Thailand is a very nationalist nation. It's not as innocent as you paint it but I don't think that relevant compared to the USA as although Thailand does have some Asean regional power it has almost no international power, unless you count people loving Pad Thai as international power. 

I didn't introduce the subject of nationalism into the topic. I simply responded to your comment "nationalism is hatred of other countries".

I was talking about the really weird reactions I've been getting in recent years to answering the what is your nationality question. It occurs to me it's been kind of like when someone politely asks --

Hi, how are you?

and you say

Fine as expected even if you're not.

But instead you say, I've got a new outbreak of hemorrhoids.

Oh.

I didn't literally want to hear about your problems, people think.

So, American, huh?

Oh.  

Ugh. 

Awkward.

I imagine this would be very different for people that are obviously American from a mile away. I'm not. So I get these "honest" reactions. 

Sometimes I play a game and ask people to guess my nationality if they ask. The most common reply is German or Italian. 

Native English speakers usually know the accent of course so no fun playing that game with them.

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, mauGR1 said:

That is a very well made point and how can it be 100 times worse by comparing what. The ecconomy is doing well unemployment is down, national security is better. What is 100 times worse I do wonder!

But only hear other stuff on the bus Not Trump or even America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Patriot1066 said:

That is a very well made point and how can it be 100 times worse by comparing what. The ecconomy is doing well unemployment is down, national security is better. What is 100 times worse I do wonder!

But only hear other stuff on the bus Not Trump or even America.

23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I was talking about the really weird reactions I've been getting in recent years to answering the what is your nationality question. It occurs to me it's been kind of like when someone politely asks --

Hi, how are you?

and you say

Oh.

So, American, huh?

Oh.  

Ugh. 

Awkward.

I imagine this would be very different for people that are obviously American from a mile away. I'm not. So I get these "honest" reactions. 

Sometimes I play a game and ask people to guess my nationality if they ask. The most common reply is German or Italian. 

Native English speakers usually know the accent of course so no fun playing that game with them.

The Americans I tend to meet are usually either shaggy looking back packers, often nice girls and guys or ex law enforcement and military types.

Usually the latter they are pro Trump anti gun control, but I can probably spot a liberal a mile off so wouldn’t bother to interact as the often self loathing of their country is tiring. I usually get the impression Trump is far more popular with expats than not?

But on the Bhatt bus it’s usually girls girls, do you know where ... is or the ‘bargain they got from a market’.

Anyway I seem to meet nice people on and off the bus.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Hi, how are you?

and you say

Oh.

So, American, huh?

Oh.  

Ugh. 

Awkward.

Hillarious, conversation.

I usually nod my head and see if they speak English before opening my mouth.

3 minutes ago, Patriot1066 said:

Nationalism is pride in your country putting it and its people first, not hating other countries what a troll ridiculous thing to say.

I did not say it. I was quoting someone who did.

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I'm not. It's his movement that had been developing for decades. It had roots in the fascist America First movement in the 1930s. He saw the opportunity and he grabbed it. 

A difference I see is that to many Americans either pro or con what's happened appears to be a SEA CHANGE. Much darker. Much more hatred. Much more division. But a leader that actively trolls that up for his own benefit makes a big difference. Not just another change in the white house that can easily be "fixed" next election cycle. Maybe most non-Americans don't see it that way. I don't really know that. I can only speak for myself and also my observations of reactions I see these days from non-Americans. 

But this doesn't manifest in long conversations in the Bhatt bus does it?

But the rise of what you would describe as far right, appears to be mostly to do with globalization wether it be mass immigration, or loosing factories. And jobs to cheap foreign labor.

Love of hate him Trump has tapped into this, and we won't agree I know if he's succeeded in taking on the likes of China, and the EU that is perceived a standing up for Americans. Whereas more jobs left the US under Obama ?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Spidey said:

Lighten up! It was a joke (missed the emojis?). Of course I don't think that you are a typical Milwall supporter.

However, they do have the deserved reputation of being the most violent and aggressive supporters in the football league.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwall_Bushwackers

Of course you would say that. But hey,  No one likes us and we dont care!

You must be a Hammer! ????

The first thing I look for a Baht Bus is what football shirts are being worn. Thats more important than Nationality.

Edited by Nyezhov

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

The first thing I look for a Baht Bus is what football shirts are being worn. Thats more important than Nationality.

I heard that on Baht buses it's vital to check the Adam's apples of the girls.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I heard that on Baht buses it's vital to check the Adam's apples of the girls.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Wiping off screen now!

Good way to check whether there is Anti US sentiments too, the falang with the Adams apple girl is usually European, so you dont talk, zing, ✌✌????????biff???????????? bang???????????????????? zzzzzzip????????????????

Just teasing, I met one US guy that loved the LBs. Once in 25 years  ????

Edited by Nyezhov
  • Haha 1

On 11/9/2018 at 10:23 PM, Oink said:

Where were you educated? There are 209 million Brazilians and 44 million Argentinians in America.

There are only 325 million people in America. Two-thirds are Brazilians? All but 80 million are Brazilian or Argentine? Your source please. I would like to educate myself.

• Haha 1

On 11/9/2018 at 10:16 PM, Jingthing said:

Actually I think some nationalities have an inferiority complex, but certainly not the Chinese. 

You're right of course. It was an intentional overstatement for effect. I don't meet many who think their country is inferior.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Observed on a baht bus tonight.

Close enough to the topic for jazz. Russian jazz anyway. Sound scary.

So I boarded a bus and onboard were the campiest middle aged Russian queens I've ever seen in my life. No, not like ladyboys to the misinformed, just queens. Their style impressed me as kind of RETRO, comparable to the repressed gay culture of the USA in the 60's represented in Boys in the Band.

They didn't seem like the political discussion type either with each other or strangers and they regarded me as not existing as I if they noticed me at all I probably come off as a German straight guy. 

So anyway, onward we go on the bus for a long time. They keep camping it up with each other. 

And then.

The disruption.

Boarding the bus a young Russian WHITE RUSSIAN family with two young children looking straight from a propaganda poster for the Putin World Order.

INSTANTLY, the Russian queens that had been chattering the whole time, just SHUT UP. 

I looked at the Russian family. I sensed that they detected the Russian queens but they also put on a very stoic silent face.

Then after about minute the Russian queens started talking again. But this time much less, much less animated, and they even put on BUTCH voices. I kid you not.

So it was like watching the anti-gay repression in Russia today live in Thailand on a baht bus!

Please share YOUR baht bus stories as per the O.P.

Take a ride on the 7 train through Queens.

• Like 1

jingthink

do you realize, that most things you are "reporting"" are just happening inside your brain- being just interpretation of you fantasy ?!

most of your "interactions" with other people are this kind of over-interpretation of other people`s behaviour.

This is a character of many lonely people without deeper relations with other people. They tend to look at  events like sitting in the bus /train, interaction with stuff in supermarkets etc., restaurants like it were meaningful social interactions.

and yes, I do not like your kind of interpretation of other people. Its full of simplest , judging categories ( prejudices) .

and what makes it even worse, is, that you are thinking, that other people (" WHITE RUSSIAN family ") are full of prejudices and you are way above them.

This Russian family in the bus did in fact nothing in harming other people (beside just being a total normal young (white !) family with  two young kids.

But in your make up story, they became the anti-gay repression in Russia today live in Thailand

• Thanks 1

jingthink

do you realize, that most things you are "reporting"" are just happening inside your brain- being just interpretation of you fantasy ?!

most of your "interactions" with other people are this kind of over-interpretation of other people`s behaviour.

This is a character of many lonely people without deeper relations with other people. They tend to look at  events like sitting in the bus /train, interaction with stuff in supermarkets etc., restaurants like it were meaningful social interactions.

and yes, I do not like your kind of interpretation of other people. Its full of simplest , judging categories ( prejudices) .

and what makes it even worse, is, that you are thinking, that other people (" WHITE RUSSIAN family ") are full of prejudices and you are way above them.

This Russian family in the bus did in fact nothing in harming other people (beside just being a total normal young (white !) family with  two young kids.

But in your make up story, they became the anti-gay repression in Russia today live in Thailand

I objectively and accurately observed the extreme reaction of one group of Russians to another group of Russians. The three middle aged men were definitely identifiable as gay and Russian. The young family was definitely very very white and very very Russian and at least gave a superficial appearance of being from a Putin propaganda poster on conservative Russian family values. I could understand the reaction of the three men given the current anti gay laws and social repression in Russia. I freely admit using a certain amount of literary license and embellishment. I don't expect everyone to like what I post so no problem.

To add I feel if another sort of young family that wasn't so stereotypically Russian and conservative such as a liberal looking Danish family had boarded it would not have provoked the same reaction from the men.

So I thought it was a slice of life incident worth noting. How one group of stereotypical people can be dramatically impacted by another small group of stereotypical people in the small confined micro social climate of a moving Pattaya baht bus.

Each baht bus ride is pregnant with the potential of such random mixing of unlikely seat mates. Sometimes interesting things or interactions happen in that micro environment and probably usually not.

Cheers

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Observed on a baht bus tonight.

Close enough to the topic for jazz. Russian jazz anyway. Sound scary.

So I boarded a bus and onboard were the campiest middle aged Russian queens I've ever seen in my life. No, not like ladyboys to the misinformed, just queens. Their style impressed me as kind of RETRO, comparable to the repressed gay culture of the USA in the 60's represented in Boys in the Band.

They didn't seem like the political discussion type either with each other or strangers and they regarded me as not existing as if they noticed me at all I probably came off looking like a German straight guy. If they looked at me at all, which actually I think probably not. 

So anyway, onward we go on the bus for a long time. They keep camping it up with each other. 

And then.

The disruption.

Boarding the bus a young very very WHITE RUSSIAN family with two young very very WHITE RUSSIAN children looking straight from central casting for a propaganda poster for the Putin Heterosexual Nationalist World Order.

INSTANTLY, the Russian queens that had been chattering the whole time, just SHUT UP. Not one peep. 

I looked at the Russian family. I sensed that they detected the Russian queens and had tensed up but they also put on a very stoic silent face.

Then after about a minute the Russian queens started talking again. But this time much less, much less animated, and they even put on BUTCH voices. I kid you not.

So it was like watching the anti-gay oppression in Russia today live in Thailand on a baht bus!

NOW ...

Please share YOUR baht bus stories as per the O.P.

Russians usually are white because of the climate in their part of the hemisphere. The only Black Russian I've encountered came in a glass. White Russians was a term used when referring to supporters of the Royal Family but as their demise was a century ago they're all long gone.

Black people are often extremely anti gay. Rap singers often encourage the murder of certain people including not just policemen but also gays. Being openly gay in the West Indies is asking for trouble.

Russians usually are white because of the climate in their part of the hemisphere. The only Black Russian I've encountered came in a glass. White Russians was a term used when referring to supporters of the Royal Family but as their demise was a century ago they're all long gone.

Black people are often extremely anti gay. Rap singers often encourage the murder of certain people including not just policemen but also gays. Being openly gay in the West Indies is asking for trouble.

Putin's authoritarian political movement has strong aspects of toxic ethnic white nationalism.

You're correct about some of the most toxic homophobia in the world being in Africa and the Caribbean but its not as if what I observed on the baht bus involved any such people. It did not.

If you read that ride description as an assertion that homophobia is only a white thing I certainly did no such thing!

It was a slice of life on a baht bus which I observed using my POV and voice which is the only voice I can authentically communicate with.

I sincerely welcome others to post their observations of possibly interesting slice of life encounters between different nationalities or different tribes of the same nationality on the baht busses using their particular voices.

That's what this thread is about.

Maybe it can be seen as an experimental concept. We shall see.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Putin's authoritarian political movement has strong aspects of toxic ethnic white nationalism.

The Russians have always been prejudiced against non Russians, white, black, brown or in between. Hence the Pale. Hence the Holodomor. And do you forget how Mandelstam died for calling Stalin an Ossete (His father, Beso Djugashvili was reputedly part Ossete)?

Further: the biggest fount of Anti Homosexuality is found in Muslim countries.

But so what? If you are American and folks hate Trump and talk about him...so what? If you are LGBTFZG or whatever, and someone makes a joke about it on a bus...so what? If you are black and someone tries to sell you a watermelon at a street market...so what? I

Perhaps you read too much into the bus ride. Perhaps you need to step back and think about how your own sociopolitical views are colouring your interactions with everyone else and affecting your ability to interact. One cannot obsess over every slight, one cant let his view of people be coloured because one  hates their prejudices. Its not what folks think, its how they act. I ride the Baht bus to get somewhere and do not look at my fellow riders as folks who are hating me because I am fat or silly or American  or whatever. They are just folks riding the baht bus. If they want to hate on me, sucks to be them, why worry about it. Unless and until someone tries to <deleted> with me physically, its like hey, dude, you wanna hate on me thats cool, you dont get to hang out with me then, your loss. If no one likes you for what you are or how you think, you should not care. And you shouldnt hate anyone for what you perceive is not correct thinking, maybe you are missing something cool. Millwall!!!!