Bridging the gap - gradually migrating

So, after planning and gradually spending longer periods in Thailand I am getting married in January :-)

We have known each other for 3 years soon, and have a very deep connection through buddhism - I have been buddhist since 94.

All well with getting to know the family, middle class living in Bangkok - a good match that way too.

The problem is the transition: I have already been flagged for having 6+ visa exemptions since 2016, so this time I got a proper tourist visa even though its only for a short three weeks.

The visits have been spaced well out, I always travel with cash anyway (can show 4x the sum that is demanded), and of course I have a return ticket in print - as well as pictures with the family :-) (Getting a buddha statue as a present from a coming father in law who is a retired general was a really memorable experience)

My question is if anyone has any experience with explaining the gradual shift from visa exempts to a few tourist visas and then some type of non-immigrant?

I will keep to the real story of course, and should be able to demonstrate clearly that I am serious and dedicated - hopefully without being regarded as working in Thailand. It was a mistake to dress up for a free upgrade the last time I entered, so I will dress down a bit this time!

Will also have my fiancee stand-by to explain things on the phone if necessary...

I guess it comes down to this question: do the immigration officers understand that there is a transitional period when migrating like this? There is no visa for fiancees or getting married as far as I know...

Anything I have missed out? Yeah, I know, I kinda hate not having all factors and possibilities down pat ;-)

5 minutes ago, EbhB said:

I guess it comes down to this question: do the immigration officers understand that there is a transitional period when migrating like this? There is no visa for fiancees or getting married as far as I know...

No they don't.

All the while you are entering as a tourist I would recommend you carry a letter form you fiancee confirming you are engaged and that you're visiting her. A copy of her ID/Tabian Baan could also help.

• Like 1

We have filed the TM-30s, and 

I am bringing the last ones with me.

Should have copy if ID somewhere too, the past couple of times she has sent me an explanation - but I kept both on my phone only... Might get it printed here in Dubai before boarding!

Should add that I just turned half a century old, and have had some permanent benefit going - perhaps I should even get that printed...

But quite likely I will be stamped through, not been in the country more than perhaps 120-30 days, with only one extension.

So, as I read your answer, being engaged is totally OK with them, but its proof they want if they start probing?

Try not to expect anything rational here...especially with immigration. Once you are married, then it's easy enough to get a single or multi-entry non O to suit your purposes but if you want to extend the single entry to a year then you need to start jumping through hoops. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Its just this short visit and then hopefully close to 90 days from January that I will do on a SETV.

I guess you're right about not expecting anything, so if there are any questions I'll play it by ear - in general I tend to glide through most situations ????

But that all depends on having all the variables in mind when dealing with situations!

...thats what I have in mind myself, there are no "hoops" or problems if coming a few times a year as tourist OR migrating the proper way.

For me its possible only if gearing up gradually for a couple of years, and right now I'm in the middle of it - getting close to the real "tipping-point".

Would it be wise, or even possible to try tell that story?

22 hours ago, Sir Dude said:

Try not to expect anything rational here...especially with immigration.

While there may be things about Thailand that differ from your experience living at home with mom & dad and there are bound to be things beyond your understanding that you immediately, defensively designate as irrational, the vast majority of people visiting Thailand or who choose to stay here long term are not overwhelmed by the requirements of immigrations.  

I suppose there may be some countries that have special immigrations regulations for people who are engaged to be married, maybe, possibly, sometime, but the absence of such in Thailand is certainly not an example of irrational behavior on the part of immigrations officers.

Of course it's always fun massaging one's ego with comments like yours in an attempt to demonstrate the trials and tribulations that Freddy Farang must endure.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What hoops? 

I have done 11 extensions of stay based upon marriage and have never felt like I was jumping through hoops. Just supply the required documents and etc and it was done.

Have you ever done one?

Exactly. I've done a similar number of extensions based on retirement and never felt it too be that difficult.

Edited by Suradit69

On 11/11/2018 at 7:31 PM, EbhB said:

We have filed the TM-30s, and 

I am bringing the last ones with me.

Should have copy if ID somewhere too, the past couple of times she has sent me an explanation - but I kept both on my phone only... Might get it printed here in Dubai before boarding!

Should add that I just turned half a century old, and have had some permanent benefit going - perhaps I should even get that printed...

But quite likely I will be stamped through, not been in the country more than perhaps 120-30 days, with only one extension.

So, as I read your answer, being engaged is totally OK with them, but its proof they want if they start probing?

If you're over 50 why don't you simply enter on a non O visa and apply for a retirement extension?

No need to complicate the issue with fiancé and / or marriage intentions.

Edited by Tofer
Add
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:12 PM, Sir Dude said:

Try not to expect anything rational here...especially with immigration. Once you are married, then it's easy enough to get a single or multi-entry non O to suit your purposes but if you want to extend the single entry to a year then you need to start jumping through hoops. 

Nonsense

On 11/11/2018 at 4:52 PM, EbhB said:

We have known each other for 3 years soon, and have a very deep connection through buddhism - I have been buddhist since 94.

Hmmmhhh I too got married after knowing her for three years, but our "deep" connection had nothing to do with Buddhism.

11 hours ago, Tofer said:

If you're over 50 why don't you simply enter on a non O visa and apply for a retirement extension?

No need to complicate the issue with fiancé and / or marriage intentions.

I simply went to Thai embassy in Frankfurt (Germany), proceeded some papers for proof of funds, and got my OM visa. Countless extended permissions to stay in Thailand. No problem at all.