Forgot Non-Immigrant O Visa

This year I remembered too late to get my usual Non-Immigrant O visa before I left Canada in late October. So, I get a 30 day visa on arrival. I live in Udon Thani area so Vientiane is the closest Lao based Thai Embassy??? Oooorrrr.... Could I somehow do this right at Udon Thani Immigration? What's my best next step to achieve, or come close to, the Non-Immigrant O (based on marriage) that I have had each of the past three years. I have just arrived

back from 6 months away  ... hearing so many stories (horror stories) and generally feeling  a wee lost and confused - a wee bit stymied. Could use some help please ...

Edited by SiamSully

For a single entry Non O visa, go to Vientiane. It requires one night stay.

In theory, you can do a conversion from a tourist entry to a non immigrant entry at Udon Thani immigration. This is intended as a precursor to applying for a one-year extension of stay, and the process is a bit messy, among other things requiring 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account with proof it came from abroad.

If you go to Savannakhet, Laos, you can get a multiple entry Non O (like I expect you have received in earlier years) with no financial proof. You apply before 11:00 am and receive the visa around 2:00 pm the following day.

1 hour ago, SiamSully said:

What's my best next step to achieve, or come close to, the Non-Immigrant O (based on marriage) that I have had each of the past three years.

After rereading it sounds quite likely that you want to stay up to 90 days?

A) You can apply for a 60 day extension based on marriage at Udon immigration. That requires paperwork from district office and being accompanied by your wife.

B) you can apply for a 30 day extension of your current visa exempt stay (not visa on arrival) at Udon immigration.

Before this extension expires you do a border run at Nong Khai (out/in).

With your history/nationality this should pose no problem.

Advantage: less bureaucracy.

Disadvantage: trip to Nong Khai and pay for Laos visa on arrival.

Edited by KhunBENQ

17 hours ago, elviajero said:

You can easily get a Single or Multiple Entry visa from Savannahket, Or a Single (only) Entry visa from Vientiane, Loas.

If you explain how long you plan to stay, you can get better advice about your options.

Thanks for this, elviajero. I plan to stay in Thailand 6 months. Have done this each year since 2011. So far it looks like Savannakhet is my best option. Some say I can get a non o there without having to have my income certified by the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok.

22 hours ago, BritTim said:

For a single entry Non O visa, go to Vientiane. It requires one night stay.

In theory, you can do a conversion from a tourist entry to a non immigrant entry at Udon Thani immigration. This is intended as a precursor to applying for a one-year extension of stay, and the process is a bit messy, among other things requiring 400,000 baht in a Thai bank account with proof it came from abroad.

If you go to Savannakhet, Laos, you can get a multiple entry Non O (like I expect you have received in earlier years) with no financial proof. You apply before 11:00 am and receive the visa around 2:00 pm the following day.

Thanks so much for this tidbit of information BritTim. Brilliant! I have several Non O visas in my passport from past years. I will make this trip next week. Big Thanks! Any idea of the cost of the visa?

Edited by SiamSully

1 hour ago, SiamSully said:

Thanks so much for this tidbit of information BritTim. Brilliant! I have several Non O visas in my passport from past years. I will make this trip next week. Big Thanks! Any idea of the cost of the visa?

A multiple entry Non O in Savannakhet costs, I believe, 5,000 baht.

17 hours ago, SiamSully said:

Thanks for this, elviajero. I plan to stay in Thailand 6 months. Have done this each year since 2011. So far it looks like Savannakhet is my best option. Some say I can get a non o there without having to have my income certified by the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok.

That’s correct. You don’t need to provide any financial information when applying at the Savannahket consulate.

Get a 60 day extension for being married, then just make a border run at Nong Khai to get another 30 day visa exempt which you can again extend for 60 days.

Then you have 30+60+30+60 days of stay which is about half a year, have to pay only 1900+1900THB for the extensions and don't have to spend a night in Laos waiting for a visa.

Edited by jackdd