Emirates "new" One-Carry-On-Item-Only rule for Economy class??

miketu

Hi all, has anyone had a recent experience with Emirates seemingly "new" One-Carry-On-Item-Only rule on flights from the U.S.?  Have they been strictly enforcing this rule for economy class at the check-in counter or boarding gate?   

Last time I flew Emirates about three years ago I could bring on a small wheelie and a briefcase with no problem, but it appears that has changed now??

Thanks!

Hand luggage weight limit 7 kgs. on most flights I believe, but then here is an article re BA from about three years ago........

British Airways Hand Baggage. All customers are permitted to carry one piece of hand luggage and one small item (handbag, laptop) on board. Hand luggage must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm and the small item must be no bigger than 40cm x 30cm x 15cm. Both items can weight up to 23kg each....

Since this thread has already been hijacked by the usual moaners, and is hence off-topic, I feel free to add my tuppence worth.

Airlines, budget ones in particular, use every trick in the book, much like banks do, to make people pay over and above the basic cost of a service. I therefore consider it one of my missions in life to do all I can to mitigate these extra charges. If and when the airlines' rules change, I will adjust my habits accordingly; until then I will continue to save money, self-confessed Cheap Charlie that I am.

8 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Since this thread has already been hijacked by the usual moaners, and is hence off-topic, I feel free to add my tuppence worth.

Airlines, budget ones in particular, use every trick in the book, much like banks do, to make people pay over and above the basic cost of a service. I therefore consider it one of my missions in life to do all I can to mitigate these extra charges. If and when the airlines' rules change, I will adjust my habits accordingly; until then I will continue to save money, self-confessed Cheap Charlie that I am.

I have used Emirates flights from Newcastle for nearly 5 years, they are definitely cutting back, I believe there was a fall in profits recently.

Before when you booked a flight you could choose your seat, no charge, now there is albeit you can do when you check in. I am a solo traveller so it doesn’t bother me but a family group will want too ensure they have seats together so will probably pay up front.

Whilst you can choose meals to suit your diet the choice of a fish meal has been removed from the menu.

They used to come round serving pre dinner drinks, they don’t now.

No small bottles of wine, served from a large bottle to you in a plastic cup. You can still order drinks by pressing the call button though.

The food tray has got smaller with less on it albeit as far as airline food goes Emirates is better than average.

i have flown KLM/BA but Emirates is nearly always the cheapest option and after my experiences with KLM/BA I would only use them as a last resort.

3 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Hand luggage weight limit 7 kgs. on most flights I believe, but then here is an article re BA from about three years ago........

British Airways Hand Baggage. All customers are permitted to carry one piece of hand luggage and one small item (handbag, laptop) on board. Hand luggage must not exceed 56cm x 45cm x 25cm and the small item must be no bigger than 40cm x 30cm x 15cm. Both items can weight up to 23kg each....

I arrived on BA from London two weeks ago and YES 23kg allowed for each of two cabin bags.

Size of bags supposedly limited but not checked as far as I could see.

OK if your transporting gold bars I suppose.

28 minutes ago, pjuk said:

I arrived on BA from London two weeks ago and YES 23kg allowed for each of two cabin bags.

Size of bags supposedly limited but not checked as far as I could see.

OK if your transporting gold bars I suppose.

A normal person would have great difficulty lifting 23kg up into the overhead bins, which, if I remember correctly, have a weight limit sticker on them.

Just looked on BA and yes, 2 pieces of hand luggage, one of them a laptop or handbag, which can be 23kg EACH, plus your checked in baggage, another 23kg in economy. It's a wonder the planes ever take off. But what would you need to be carrying to get 23kg in your handbag? 

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

A normal person would have great difficulty lifting 23kg up into the overhead bins, which, if I remember correctly, have a weight limit sticker on them.

I managed to pack around 20kg into the acceptable size of suitcase, Thai food products. sticky rice etc.Yes it was a struggle lifting it into the overhead locker.

its a ploy bY BA limiting the Hold Luggage knowing in general no one will be taking 23kg as carry on more so in the bag size allowed.

Been using Emirates a lot recently (20 flights in the last year)...

Check in Baggage30kgs in Economy Class (+10kgs Silver)

Carry on Baggage: 1 piece / 7kgs - the 1 piece rule is quite limiting especially when traveling with a Wife and Child (with an Air-side overnight stop over at the Terminal hotel)....  

....throw in a laptop bag, a handbag and my sons toys and we are over the 1 piece each rule before we even pack our 'over night bag'.... then add in a couple of bottles of booze and the usual 'Gift' of carry on luggage at Dubai Duty Free and we are over our carry on baggage allowance !!!!... 

That said, not once has the weight and size of our carry on been checked (in BKK, DXB, BHX or LHR).

I think Airlines handle this regulation intelligently up until a British Jobsworth lets the power get to their heads and starts implementing their nazi-like intolerance of anyone they are theoretically assisting.

2 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Been using Emirates a lot recently (20 flights in the last year)...

Check in Baggage30kgs in Economy Class (+10kgs Silver)

Carry on Baggage: 1 piece / 7kgs - the 1 piece rule is quite limiting especially when traveling with a Wife and Child (with an Air-side overnight stop over at the Terminal hotel)....  

....throw in a laptop bag, a handbag and my sons toys and we are over the 1 piece each rule before we even pack our 'over night bag'.... then add in a couple of bottles of booze and the usual 'Gift' of carry on luggage at Dubai Duty Free and we are over our carry on baggage allowance !!!!... 

That said, not once has the weight and size of our carry on been checked (in BKK, DXB, BHX or LHR).

I think Airlines handle this regulation intelligently up until a British Jobsworth lets the power get to their heads and starts implementing their nazi-like intolerance of anyone they are theoretically assisting.

At Newcastle it’s Servisair who operate the check in desks, I got pulled for being 1.5kg over in my Hold Luggage with the comment I will let you off this time. I had already checked on my Baggage Scales at home so obviously a descepancy in my or their scales.

They definitely are very strict about Hand Luggage, it’s weighed and a ticket put on it with the weight. 

3 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I fly with Emirates from Newcastle, they are very strict, one piece of Hand Baggage, 7kg, at Bangkok on the return flight they never bother too check/weigh your Hand Baggage.

Yep same in Birmingham 1 bag and weight restricted!!!

Emirates check in at Birmingham is run by the gestapo (albeit a little effeminate division if the last huffy "gentleman" was anything to go by) i was carrying on  my usual small backpack and computer bag

QUOTE i dont care about how you checked the same in BKK we do our job properly here)

On the second trip this year i used Qatar

20 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

already checked on my Baggage Scales at home so obviously a descepancy in my or their scales.

Told this to a check-in girl at LHR coming back to BKK. She said my suitacase was 2kg over (25kg). I said I had checked it on my scales at home. Her reply....'Maybe you should buy some new scales'....cheeky mare!

3 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Just looked on BA and yes, 2 pieces of hand luggage, one of them a laptop or handbag, which can be 23kg EACH, plus your checked in baggage, another 23kg in economy. It's a wonder the planes ever take off. But what would you need to be carrying to get 23kg in your handbag? 

Ask my Wife.................:wink:

The sooner they all get back to 7 kg max in the cabin & that must fit in the chrome carry on bag limiter the better.

I had to help a lady put her bag in the overhead locker 3 weeks ago it must have weighed 30 + kilos.

Not only is it inconsiderate but also bloody dangerous. 

As an ex pilot I can tell you that if the above was done as the above lady by all & an emergency

aborted take off happened (when the aircraft can be at max all up weight ) chances are

that the lockers will break cause many  unnecessary injuries or death,

Same for bad turbulence where I have seen suitcases flying around the cabin & one broken neck as a direct result

1 minute ago, natway09 said:

The sooner they all get back to 7 kg max in the cabin & that must fit in the chrome carry on bag limiter the better.

I had to help a lady put her bag in the overhead locker 3 weeks ago it must have weighed 30 + kilos.

Not only is it inconsiderate but also bloody dangerous. 

As an ex pilot I can tell you that if the above was done as the above lady by all & an emergency

aborted take off happened (when the aircraft can be at max all up weight ) chances are

that the lockers will break cause many  unnecessary injuries or death,

Same for bad turbulence where I have seen suitcases flying around the cabin & one broken neck as a direct result

The inconsistency at the check in desks is the biggest problem, the staff mostly female don’t want confrontation and until check in staff adopt the approach of Ryanair and EasyJet staff we are all in danger of being injured by an overweight bag falling on us from the overhead lockers.

On my last flight back too the U.K. on the stop over in Dubai a passenger had a large suit case, not the normal carry on type and was forcing it into the overhead locker as Emirates Staff looked on saying nothing.

I am a very frequent flyer domestically here in Thailand and I would advocate an absolute strict enforcement of the one piece at max. seven kilos allowance. 
I travel always with a very small backpack and more than once had problems putting it into the overhead lockers. I told the crew which said there is little they can do. 

Trust me, once you put a scale on the head of the finger dock and charge THB 1'000 per additional piece as well as THB 100 per kilogramme exceeding the limit of seven kilos the skies will be cleared within two, three weeks. 

Would facilitate boarding, departure as well as disembarkation and put some extra revenue into those low cost carriers coffers ..........

Sick and tired of Tom, Dick and Harry with Grannies and Aunties flying around with air-dried fish from Kalasin or baskets of fruits which would be available at destination as well. 

On 11/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, Proboscis said:

Most long distance airlines allow a carry-on plus a briefcase or laptop case. It would be unusual if Emirates are going to deviate from this.

I was told by Emirates at Glasgow Airport a year ago on my return to Thailand that I could not take my laptop on the plane, I told the lady that I brought it here no problem so no one is going to stop me taking it back. I told her I meant it, she said nothing so I put my laptop in to my carry on case which would have made it overweight and she let me carry it on.

There is no way i would have let anyone stop me taking my laptop on as no one complained on the flight from Bangkok to Glasgow.

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2018 at 9:37 AM, Proboscis said:

Most long distance airlines allow a carry-on plus a briefcase or laptop case. It would be unusual if Emirates are going to deviate from this.

They have, I know from experience, I had no problem flying from Bangkok to Glasgow, but on the return flight from Glasgow, the attendant told me not to take my laptop, but I said, 'I brought it over so I am taking it back", she told me to sqeeze it in with my carry on luggage, I did, but took it out again after I passed security.

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

They have, I know from experience, I had no problem flying from Bangkok to Glasgow, but on the return flight from Glasgow, the attendant told me not to take my laptop, but I said, 'I brought it over so I am taking it back", she told me to sqeeze it in with my carry on luggage, I did, but took it out again after I passed security.

Same experience at Newcastle, 1 Carry On Bag max. 7kg and they weigh it and put a tag on it.

i asked the Check In lady, Servis Air operate the Check In Desks at Newcastle that at Bangkok and Dubai more or less anything goes.

Her reply was Servis Air are constantly receiving emails from Emirates about passengers with over sized Carry On Baggage and too stick too the limits.

Emirates operate the Check In Desks at Bangkokand Dubai and never question weight or number of pieces of Carry On Baggage.

If you have a Skywards Silver Card or upwards the limit increases.

Not about Emirates, but yesterday I flew from Bangkok to Europe on EVA and I offered assistence to a lady with three pieces of hand luggage because she was unable to lift those into the overhead bins. I soon regretted my offer, her cabin-size trolley wasn’t far off 20 kg, and her 2 bags were at least 10 kg each. According to her, just to avoid waiting upon arrival. 

I tried not to think about what would happen to the bin if the plane got into any heavy turbulence...........

As far as Emitates is concerned, they are indeed fairly strict departing from most European airports. Last time I flew them (before switching to EVA) I had to stuff my camera bag into my approved size cabin trolley, only to notice that apparently they don’t care about this in their main hub Dubai: on the connecting flight to BKK many people carried 3 or more - often obviously heavy - pieces on board.

i don’t mind them enforcing their rules, but the least they could aim for is some consistency.........

No wonder there are issues on flights. People are either too lazy or too stupid to read the cabin baggage rules;

Economy Class

Economy Class passengers are permitted one piece of carry-on baggage, subject to the following size and weight limitations:

Carry-on baggage: 55 x 38 x 20cm (22 x 15 x 8 inches)Carry-on baggage: 55 by 38 by 20 centimeters (22 by 15 by 8 inches)

Weight must not exceed 7kg kilograms (15lbpounds). Duty free purchases of liquor, cigarettes and perfume in reasonable quantities are also permitted in addition to the above.

You must be able to lift your own bag into the overhead locker. Cabin crew can assist you if you are elderly, travelling with young children or have a condition that requires support.

On 11/13/2018 at 11:01 PM, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Yup, me too, to an extent.  Though, I'm not one of those people who tries to use one of those bigass rolling suitcases as a "carryon."  But, as stated in other threads, I'm ticked when they try to make me check a bag when I don't need to by having a ridiculously-low carry-on weight restriction; if everything I need fits into my carryon, why TF would I check anything?  Especially since that then means that not only do I have to deal with checked baggage and all its associated risks and annoyances, but also means I'm stuck taking a damn suitcase (because it's lockable) rather than the backpack I prefer (because it's easier to carry and there aren't people tripping over it in a crowded airport, no rolling it down nasty dirty sidewalks, etc.).  I have never had a bag I couldn't easily get into the overhead bin on any size plane (both size and weight), and have never even thought of asking for help, so they can take their alleged "oh you poor thing how could you possibly lift 7.5 kilos" BS and shove it.

Archived