Cambodia receives 1.44 million Chinese tourists in first 9 months, up 71.2 pct

geovalin

PHNOM PENH, Nov. 13 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia attracted 1.44 million Chinese visitors during the first nine months of 2018, up 71.2 percent over the same period last year, said a Cambodian Tourism Ministry's report released on Tuesday.

China is the biggest source of foreign tourists to Cambodia, accounting for 28 percent of the total foreign visitors to the kingdom during the January-September period this year, the report said.

The Southeast Asian country welcomed a total of 5.14 million international tourists during the first nine months of this year, up 13.8 percent over the same period last year, it said.

Cambodian Tourism Minister Thong Khon has predicted that the kingdom would receive at least 1.7 million Chinese holidaymakers this year and up to 2.5 million in 2020.

Cambodia is famous for three world heritage sites, namely the Angkor archaeological park in northwestern Siem Reap province, the Preah Vihear temple in northwestern Preah Vihear province, and the Sambor Prei Kuk archaeological site in central Kampong Thom province.

Besides, it has a pristine coastline stretching 450 km in four southwestern provinces of Koh Kong, Preah Sihanouk, Kampot and Kep.

Last year, Cambodia got 5.6 million foreign tourists including 1.21 million Chinese, earning gross revenue of 3.6 billion U.S. dollars.

source http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-11/13/c_137603589.htm

15 minutes ago, geovalin said:

Cambodia attracted 1.44 million Chinese visitors during the first nine months of 2018, up 71.2 percent over the same period last year, said a Cambodian Tourism Ministry's report released on Tuesday.

Is this something perhaps called the TAC - the Cambodian equivalent of the TAT?

If it is, I'm sure everyone would view their figures with suspicion.

However, as long as it doesn't have the same reputation as TAT, perhaps these are genuine visitor numbers.

I haven't noticed reports of large numbers of deaths of Chinese visitors to Cambodia, or assaults on them by the authorities.

1 hour ago, Redline said:

I have never been overcharged in Cambodia, and they are very serious about their people keeping tourists safe-heavy penalties 

This is why the Chinese are abandoning Thailand. Unfortunately the Angkor Wat complex these days can be unbearable - so different from my first visit three years ago.

• Like 2

Seems like a move away from the "tired" Thailand tour and looking for something new & fresh.

I expect the numbers to continue to increase and numbers in Thailand to decrease as Chinese are becoming fed up with the same old same old !!

• Like 1