Thailand announces huge changes to tourist visas in bid to boost tourism

10 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

All they need to do now is make their "Tourist Visa" the same as the Philippine version = stay forever on a renewable tourist visa and leave the country every three years. Simple way to compete with the current visa leader in Asia.

Are you dreaming?, That would cost Thailand to much loss in revenue, Those 1900 BAHT each visit to immigration and the cost of the Tourist visas from Embassy's is here to stay.

9 minutes ago, nev said:

Are you dreaming?, That would cost Thailand to much loss in revenue, Those 1900 BAHT each visit to immigration and the cost of the Tourist visas from Embassy's is here to stay.

They could simply allow to do continuous 30 day extensions, then it would be 1900THB a month to stay in Thailand, Currenly they get 1000+1900 for 3 months, so about 1000 per month, Thailands income from this would double. But this would of course defy the main advantage of of "Thai Elite", and many people who have extensions based on retirement or marriage might switch as well because it's "easier" (document / income wise). So this will sadly not happen ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

They could simply allow to do continuous 30 day extensions, then it would be 1900THB a month to stay in Thailand, Currenly they get 1000+1900 for 3 months, so about 1000 per month, Thailands income from this would double. But this would of course defy the main advantage of of "Thai Elite", and many people who have extensions based on retirement or marriage might switch as well because it's "easier" (document / income wise). So this will sadly not happen ????

Agree not likely to happen (due to the faction that wants us gone), but if married/retirement folks did this also, it would increase official revenues greatly.  At 1900 Baht/mo, averaged over a year, it would cost about double the monthly-rate for the PI & Cambodia, and more than double the Vietnam mo-rate (though Vietnam requires 4 border-bounces or visa-runs /yr).

The PI / Cambodia / Vietnam would be the primary losers - unless one counts agents, agent's IO-buddies, and the elite-beneficiaries, all of whom are taking visitor's money out of the hands of legit Thai business, in any case. 

Edited by JackThompson

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, zaZa9 said:

Sorry , just tuned in.

I dont understand "they" above in Ubon Joes post...

Is this plan already Law or has it been abandoned?

"They" = "The Authorities" who make such decisions. 

The only part implemented was to do with VOA fee suspensions for certain nations.  Apparently, many of those Thailand wanted to come could not afford the trip, otherwise. 

• 1 month later...

Sorry for being lazy and not checking thru 22 pages of comments, so can I assume that none of this was implemented?

Summary 

- Single entry visas automatically changed to double entry
- Re-entry permit, rather than new visa if visiting neighbouring country
- Unlimited visa exempt entries at land borders per calendar year

And I read on internet that they are allowing back to back tourists visas now and abolished the 90 days in 180 allowed? I just came back after 4 months out on a tourist visa and they didn't walk me to one side at Suvarnabhumi so was wondering if some things have been relaxed? 

11 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

Summary 

- Single entry visas automatically changed to double entry
- Re-entry permit, rather than new visa if visiting neighbouring country
- Unlimited visa exempt entries at land borders per calendar year

None of that ever happened.

11 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

And I read on internet that they are allowing back to back tourists visas now and abolished the 90 days in 180 allowed? I just came back after 4 months out on a tourist visa and they didn't walk me to one side at Suvarnabhumi so was wondering if some things have been relaxed? 

The 90 days in 6 months for visa exempt entries (not tourist visa entries) was rescinded in 2008.

Edit: Topic now :mfr_closed1:

No reason for it to remain open since the changes never happened.

• Like 2