Thailand announces huge changes to tourist visas in bid to boost tourism

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no changes mentioned for the 30 day visa exempt entry. It is when you apply for a single entry tourist visa you get a 2 entry visa for the same fee as a single entry tourist visa.

It only mentioned unlimited 30 day visa exempt entries at land border crossings instead of the limit of 2 per calendar year now.

So which tourist would get a 30 day visa before coming here? Surely not tourists from the UK, USA, Australia, Russia, NZ, Germany, Norway... as they would simply get "30-day visa exempt entry" upon arrival at the airport. Let me guess - - the Chinese are not allowed entry under the visa exemption rule. So, again, this seems like something designed to benefit the Chinese primarily. 

This seems to be a reaction to the rather draconian visa regime that has been introduced over the last 5 years or so..... restricting those who wish to travel in the region using Thailand as a hub.

But This is interesting for visa runners.....

"The Interior Ministry regulation will be amended to allow foreigners who receive a visa waiver for 30 days and travel into Thailand via land immigration checkpoints or land border checkpoints to enter the country with an unlimited number of visa waivers per calendar year." Nation

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2018 at 4:37 PM, geisha said:

Seems sure that with the current exchange rates there won’t be a lot of sales. How on earth do they manage the thousands of condos laying empty ?Of course, lackof a good visa for people staying longer than a month or two doesn’t help. 

Any one who buys a condo in Thailand in this current visa environment with crackdown after crackdown on all visa classes needs to have their head examined by a doctor.....Unless you have the 20 year elite visa you would be completely nuts to buy a condo or house here...

• Like 2

On 11/15/2018 at 9:44 AM, JackThompson said:

Because people with cancer on chemo need to eat?  Thailand has had good medical care for awhile - a long-standing Royal project.  If you want people to survive cancer-treatment, this is a wise move - because it is effective.

Anyone who wants to smoke weed would be much better off vacationing/living in Latin America or maybe Cambodia.  Thailand has not changed its attitudes/laws in a way that would in any way make it attractive to pot-smoking visitors - nor do I see any signs that authorities are in any way enamored with that "class" of visitors. 

To understand the marijuana situation you must think big....The directive for legalization so coming from a level above any government...Prof of this is to how many countries are relaxing marijuana laws...Compassion has almost nothing to do with it...Pot smokers make lousy protesters for unjust laws.....Marijuana will be 100% legal in Thailand that I am sure of.......

I know this is off topic but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in....

43 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

This is kind of funny but the expat exodus so far has mostly been the under 50s.....But if Thailand does not change course in a major way long term soon the stream of expats leaving Thailand will turn into a river and if/when they start messing with they 400,000-800,000 that river will turn into a flood of expats leaving.....

Then the only people that will be left in Thailand long stay will be The elite visa holders, The very well to do expats, a few desperate people rotating ED and tourist visas, Those with work permits and some how some way I am sure the Nigerians and Indian tailors will still be here...lol

There are a large number of foreigners working in Thailand. I dont know how many but it's going to be a lot.

On a country by country basis I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot more people working legally in Thailand than retirees, especially in Bangkok.

Obviously the numbers will vary massively based on the country the foreigners come from and their location within Thailand.

Edited by ukrules

12 minutes ago, Julistan said:

So, is this official or not? 

If i go to Maesai or Maesot to do a visa run, will i be accepted or rejected? I am on my second land entry of 2018. Thanks

Your 1st question. Nothing has changed yet.

Your 2nd question I will let the experts answer.

11 hours ago, Julistan said:

So, is this official or not? 

Immigration has made not made any announcement about unlimited visa exempt entries at a land border crossing. Without some formal order it is not official yet.

The only thing they have announced is the free visas on arrival for those from the 21 countries that qualify for one (https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5bec37b258299cf4a6a0bfab).

If you try for another visa exempt entry it would be denied.

Now its time of those in power to ease foreign hubands/family rules regarding stay and capabilities of work pemits doing any job you feel needs to be done for taking care of your family asap . Probably never but still hoping for a surprise ....one day .

On 11/14/2018 at 2:12 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow!

Tourism numbers and revenues must be taking one hell of a hit to do this

moronic actions like rejecting a millionaire (ME)  at the airport with the stamp "no have the means to upkeep in the Kingdom" cannot pass without consequences.

They'd better to fire moron Immigration officers who bounced back frequent affluent tourists at the airport if they want to start to beg for their return.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Penefattore said:

moronic actions like rejecting a millionaire (ME)  at the airport with the stamp "no have the means to upkeep in the Kingdom" cannot pass without consequences.

I agree it's preposterous, I'm poor and a card carrying member of the unwashed masses and they let me in without issue. ????

..although they don't seem impressed with 20k in 20 baht notes, they never want to count it. I'm kidding of course.. there are a few 10 baht coins in the bag too.

• Like 1

It’s not only problems at the borders. Certain embassies are refusing SETV visas only because the return flight date is over their limit. How stupid is that. And a loss of earnings for the Thai government in visa fees. You can show huge bank accounts, have tickets out of the country, and they still refuse your visa! Ridiculous.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 2:12 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow!

Tourism numbers and revenues must be taking one hell of a hit to do this; it is a refutation of everything the Junta has been doing or saying for years.

There is a great deal more to this story; I am looking forward to finding it out.

One would think at times right now that it was low season in Pattaya. There was a price to be paid for putting the squeeze on and that time is upon us. Businesses needed that policy to be urgently reviewed. This season may be a write-off though.

• Like 1

Has anyone actually got one of these double entry tourist visas yet? I'm in a bit of a quandary as I'll be needing a new tourist visa in the middle of December and not sure whether to go to Vientiane for this double entry tourist visa or hope the new online SETV is ready by then and do a quick border hop to activate it.

2 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Has anyone actually got one of these double entry tourist visas yet?

Nothing other than the free 15 day visa on arrivals has been approved yet and is in effect at this time.

5 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

new online SETV is ready by then and do a quick border hop to activate it.

That has not been mentioned for a long time now. I think it has died on the vine.

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing other than the free 15 day visa on arrivals has been approved yet and is in effect at this time.

That has not been mentioned for a long time now. I think it has died on the vine.

I thought that too but when I saw the evisa on arrival was up and running, I thought that might be a precursor to online SETVs.

Edited by edwardandtubs

12 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I thought that too but when I saw the evisa on arrival was up and running, I thought that might be a precursor to online SETVs.

The visa on arrival is issued by immigration is the reason they were able to set up the online application. It is different issue for tourist and other visas to be applied for and issued because the are done by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Do we have even the slightest indication from the ministry when the new rules will apply? This year or next?

Thinking of changing plans so as to receive the much better option of a double entry visa, but its only possible if these changes are not over a month away.

I'm not waiting, getting my SETV today.  If they do improve the system, the border runs will make up for not having a double tourist visa.

This seems to be an admission that the change from unlimited border runs, and removal of simple multiple tourist visas a couple of years ago was a mistake.  But whether and how soon they correct it is unknown.

They will be thinking through the evidences needed for easier long stays, like do they ask us to show more money or more traveling plans, hopefully the former as the latter reduces flexibility.

Land border crossing - 2 per calendar year limit change

For what it's worth I have contacted three "border run" providers and all three gave me the same response.

"Unlikely to be enacted and on the off chance it is not until the new year sometime."

But it is Thailand so using a magic eight-ball could be just as accurate with an answer. ????

21 minutes ago, sapson said:

Huge changes breaking news sensation and then no further information. ?

The breaking news tag was just added by the author here on Thaivisa, actually it's not so much breaking ????

The Thai government is probably busy preparing the next motorbike helmet or no passenger on the back of a pickup truck crackdown, so they don't have time for this here.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, sapson said:

Huge changes breaking news sensation and then no further information. ?

The free visas on arrival for those from 21 countries has been the only thing approved and is now in effect.

I think most people missed the first line of the article.

"THE CABINET yesterday agreed in principle to back measures to stimulate Thailand’s tourism in the early high season."

The others are still under consideration apparently.

As the proud owner of one of these promotional VOA's (as of yesterday), that has a stamp in red over it saying "Visa Fee Exemption", in huge bold font, I will keep it as memorabilia. These events are rare indeed.