Thailand announces huge changes to tourist visas in bid to boost tourism

3 minutes ago, lkv said:

90 day exempt. Similar with Malaysia, you can push it according to reports.

Thanks - Will check it out...

Don't want to derail this thread anymore so please feel free to PM me but are you looking at Taipei or 1 of the other areas in Taiwan (Believe there are some great & cheap areas to live around the cost).

Again, Don't want to derail this thread anymore but If you'd be up for starting a thread on it I'd certainly be interested.

Thanks Again... 

So suddenly we welcome?

Why first we were not? Why we were questioned interogated at borders and airports ? While i just like to visit travel ,stay and see my children in Thailand?

i have lived elsewhere because cant make visa extensions in Thailand for being under 50 years.. Many Russians have left also due to the hassle.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, AGareth2 said:

back to border runs folks

Erm, read the OP, it's only November 15 until January 15, 2019. They ain't returning to the good old days, though there is always hope.

Anyway, this only goes to show how misguided the changes were in the first place. The numbers of western tourists must have fallen drastically ( Chinese tourists on the whole don't sped much with the locals, only certain places to which they are herded ), and perhaps the local shopkeepers, restauranteurs etc have been complaining.

I doubt though, that the people that made the changes in the first place will ever admit they were wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Caine said:

And who gives a toss, they’ve destroyed a once wonderful country with their greed, lies, thieving, violence , rubbish dumping, cesspit seas, stinking drains, dangerous sidewalks, military junta, killer drunken drivers, mafia run taxis and unsmiling locals. And they think a 2 month visa trial period will make everything OK about sums them up.

I do hope that all the fancy hotels that destroyed the beaches are hurting, mack mack.

I used to love Thailand's beaches ( as my username indicates ) but now I don't miss them at all, given they are overbuilt, and way too expensive for the dirty bit of sand that is all that's left.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

True so let's do the maths... 

• 1200 (It is 1200) x 2  (return) = 2,400
  • Lounge (Departure only) = approx s$40 = 1,000
  • = 3,400 * 2.5 (average) x 12 (months) = 102,000

Pretty neutral as far as the Thai Elite 5 Year costs are concerned, however:-

• TE comes with 24 transfers each year worth (say) 400 THB a pop (9,600)
  • Golf, Spa, etc... benefits (Not interested so no idea what they'd be worth)
  • If you go for the 1Million 20 year Visa it 1/2 the annual cost 

It's the 2-3 hour (round trip) immigration time that's making me consider this at the moment, but knowing that I'll only be doing this for another 3-6 months is making me hold fire... 

20k per year for arrival / departure fast track http://www.thailongstay.co.th/promotion.html#s1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Overly negative post removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Erm, read the OP, it's only November 15 until January 15, 2019. They ain't returning to the good old days, though there is always hope.

Anyway, this only goes to show how misguided the changes were in the first place. The numbers of western tourists must have fallen drastically ( Chinese tourists on the whole don't sped much with the locals, only certain places to which they are herded ), and perhaps the local shopkeepers, restauranteurs etc have been complaining.

I doubt though, that the people that made the changes in the first place will ever admit they were wrong.

After 14  pages people still think visas change today. They do not.

1. Vat refund starts today 15 Nov - 15 Jan

2. Tourist visas have not changed yet. TAT have to present to the government proposals and time period etc . There is no start date and no change as of now.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Yes.  Anyone talking to those who working in jobs that benefit from Western tourism will tell you what a huge train-wreck immigration has created in their industry.  Only those bamboozled by "official statistics" or who have a vested-interest in staving-off a tourist-related industry bear-market, would tell you any differently.

Why do you think they've VERY swiftly made cannabis legal for medical use. It isn't because they care about the health and well being for the people, it is a nice way to earn big bucks and become the first to do it in SE Asia. They know that their reputation and tourist attractiveness is dwindling, so this is like a get out of jail free card for them 

• Like 1

All visas and work permits need to be refized specially for expats supporting thai families 

I don’t consider these people to be “bad  forangs”

people that have thai wife and kids and need to work to support them should find it easier to make make visas and work permits and possibly apply online so they don’t need to take time off work to do visa runs

i have seen people deported for not working with the right permit and few week overstay 

problem is when work drys up things like visas and work permits start to eat away at your income which forces you to brake the law in order to feed yourself and in some cases 4 kids. 

These se people are taking care of a thai family which is benifiting the Thais not hindering 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Wow!

Tourism numbers and revenues must be taking one hell of a hit to do this; it is a refutation of everything the Junta has been doing or saying for years.

There is a great deal more to this story; I am looking forward to finding it out.

Wow again stay calm It is only for 2 months.

9 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

... but are you looking at Taipei or 1 of the other areas in Taiwan (Believe there are some great & cheap areas to live around the cost).

Again, Don't want to derail this thread anymore but If you'd be up for starting a thread on it I'd certainly be interested.

Also considering places my Thai wife would not have a problem, if things go further downhill here (i.e. - no embassy-letter and perhaps no Non-O ME Visa, some day).  Maybe open a Thai food restaurant.  Please continue the discussion here:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Why do you think they've VERY swiftly made cannabis legal for medical use.

Because people with cancer on chemo need to eat?  Thailand has had good medical care for awhile - a long-standing Royal project.  If you want people to survive cancer-treatment, this is a wise move - because it is effective.

2 hours ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

It isn't because they care about the health and well being for the people, it is a nice way to earn big bucks and become the first to do it in SE Asia. They know that their reputation and tourist attractiveness is dwindling, so this is like a get out of jail free card for them 

Anyone who wants to smoke weed would be much better off vacationing/living in Latin America or maybe Cambodia.  Thailand has not changed its attitudes/laws in a way that would in any way make it attractive to pot-smoking visitors - nor do I see any signs that authorities are in any way enamored with that "class" of visitors. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caine said:

To late the damage is done, they’ve never wanted us now they’re paying the price. Never seen Pattaya so dead hotels laying off staff and reducing salaries. As for condos can’t give them away had it coming for many years, most racist country on the planet 

6 hours ago, Mad mick said:

u reap what u sow thailand

I also know people personally in that area who were literally "put out of business" by immigration's crackdowns.  But Thailand's people are not "racist" - at least not in a hateful way.   A "foreigner" is a foreigner, and will always be a foreigner, in a country with a distinct culture and traditions. 

The "foreigner-hater" problem is something else - almost non-existent with ordinary Thais, and only a problem when we have to deal with their contamination of some govt entities. 

3 hours ago, ryane66 said:

The Chinese economy is in trouble now. That is why the Chinese tourist numbers are dropping, not the sinking of a tour boat. Their debt to economy ratio has been spreading big time the last number of years. Now the value of the yuan is worsening.  The same thing happened to the Russian currency 4 1/2 years ago. Russian tourist numbers dropped close to 50 % and still haven't recovered to the previous levels. This is an attempt to minimize the anticipated further drop in Chinese visitors.

Agree on the currency and economy issues - Thailand pivoted far to much in the direction of China, vs keeping things balanced between foreign powers - a policy which has always been their strength. 

But, I lived in the same apt-complex with many Russians in Cambodia.  They didn't "go home" during that period, just elsewhere due to immigration-policy.  They missed Thailand, and were only spending their incomes there, because of immigration's "crackdowns."  And not only Russians - Brits, Germans, Americans, etc - I met many there - all with the same story about Thailand.  Some had become active Thai-bashers, as a result of their experience - which I do chalk up to "sour grapes," to an extent.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

So suddenly we welcome?

Why first we were not? Why we were questioned interogated at borders and airports ? While i just like to visit travel ,stay and see my children in Thailand?

i have lived elsewhere because cant make visa extensions in Thailand for being under 50 years.. Many Russians have left also due to the hassle.

8 hours ago, Caine said:

To late the damage is done, they’ve never wanted us now they’re paying the price. Never seen Pattaya so dead hotels laying off staff and reducing salaries. As for condos can’t give them away had it coming for many years, most racist country on the planet 

I've seen this pattern before in the past. When tourism is going well they start getting uppity, picking on foreigners, blaming foreigners for everything, making life close to unbearable for foreigners. Then, blow me down, the foreigners stop coming. So they get all worried and start dangling carrots to bring back the foreigners. Then they'll change the carrot for a stick again.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Because people with cancer on chemo need to eat?  Thailand has had good medical care for awhile - a long-standing Royal project.  If you want people to survive cancer-treatment, this is a wise move - because it is effective.

Anyone who wants to smoke weed would be much better off vacationing/living in Latin America or maybe Cambodia.  Thailand has not changed its attitudes/laws in a way that would in any way make it attractive to pot-smoking visitors - nor do I see any signs that authorities are in any way enamored with that "class" of visitors. 

I am all for medical cannabis and full legalisation actually. But it is quite obvious that the government stands to make a lot of money from this, and it's a prime opportunity for investors to cash in. Actually, the main investments have been restricted to specific Thai nationals only, at least initially, and medical cannabis stands to be a huge booming industry before long. 
Thailand making it legal for medical use, and being the first to do so in SE Asia, means they we attract a lot of investment and business, insofacto the economy is helped along. 
People won't be flocking here to smoke weed, that isn't what I suggested. But is is easy to see the trickle down effect from making medical weed legal in terms of boosting the economy. Also it gives Thailand a more modern image which is always a nice bonus. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

Coming soon, free unbanning of overstayers, plus profuse apology and graab from immigration officer at point of entry, and courtesy bouquet of orchids on arrival.

They are the back pedalling kings. There urge for power has made made them look like embeciles

On 11/14/2018 at 2:17 PM, AGareth2 said:

back to border runs folks

My initial thoughts exactly, but it seems a little to good to be true.

If it is true, ones' re-entry will still be at the discretion of the duty officer one interacts with, so it could be a nice little earner for certain individuals willing to risk the wrath of big joke, to be able to afford a Philipe Patek or two. 

I look forward to the practicalities being 'unpacked' by intrepid border runners as this plays out.

• Like 2