Thais arrested for charging ‘access fees’ to Freedom Beach

webfact

Thais arrested for charging ‘access fees’ to Freedom Beach

By The Phuket News

1542260040_1-org.jpg

The men were arrested for charging entrance fees to Freedom Beach, south of Patong. Photo: Immigration Bureau

PHUKET: Two Thai men have been arrested for charging tourists cash in order to access Freedom Beach, south of Patong. The men are believed to have been raking in an estimated B10,000 a day.

Tourist Police and Immigration officers made the arrests yesterday (Nov 14) during a raid led by national Immigration Chief Maj Gen Surachate Hakparn.

Gen Surachate previously served as the national Deputy Chief of the Tourist Police and remains one of the key figures in ‘Thailand’s Action Taskforce for Information technology Crime Suppression’ (‘Tactics’).

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/thais-arrested-for-charging-access-fees-to-freedom-beach-69353.php#7Li45fyysHzqiTxq.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-15

surely the cops were in on it if it had been going on for that long. nice clean looking beach. makes me wonder if a fee could not be charged and anyone wanting to go to a clean beach could pay to go there. hard to filter the sewer water of course. I will never forget the last time I would ever swim at jomtien beach several years ago. I thought I was clever by swimming at the south end but even that was disgusting.

i go to to smile when i see these pics of Big Joke, always got about 10+ cops trailing around behind him, like lost sheep. * gets home from work, wife says what have you ben doing today dear ? answer, absolutely nothing dear, same as i do every day. *

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

i go to to smile when i see these pics of Big Joke, always got about 10+ cops trailing around behind him, like lost sheep. * gets home from work, wife says what have you ben doing today dear ? answer, absolutely nothing dear, same as i do every day. *

"wife says what have you ben doing today dear ? answer, absolutely nothing dear, same as i do every day. *" - sounds like your typical politician, which I would not be surprised if he is setting himself up for. 

Look at Duterte in The Philippines.  He was swept into power on an anti drug platform.  BJ may put himself forward on an anti crime platform. 

6 hours ago, mercman24 said:

So BJ is doing something and seems to be achieving things, time to start writing something negative then.

31 minutes ago, Charlesed said:

What about the entrance fee on the way to some waterfalls in Thailand?

There are many fraudsters out there! 

Some Waterfalls or Beaches may be free, but if you have to access them through a private land, the owner of this passage is entitled to ask for an access fee. (or at least it's what I have been told...)

27 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Is it a private beach?? If not, the gate means nothing...………….(I think)!!

Just look at my post above (#25)

Beaches are all public (except military areas and alike)

but lands to access to them can be private.

No problem (theoretically) if you arrive by boat :wink:

• Thanks 1