Merkel warns no deal is worst-case scenario for Brexit

webfact

Merkel warns no deal is worst-case scenario for Brexit

2018-11-15T124619Z_1_LYNXNPEEAE14U_RTROPTP_4_GERMANY-POLITICS.JPG

German Chancellor Angela Merkel attends a press conference after the federal cabinet meeting in Potsdam, Germany November 15, 2018. REUTERS/Axel Schmidt

BERLIN (Reuters) - German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Thursday welcomed a draft agreement on Britain's withdrawal from the European Union but warned that the worst case scenario would be a no-deal Brexit.

As British Prime Minister Theresa May battles to save the draft divorce deal after several ministers quit in protest, Merkel said: "The worst case, and most disorderly, is that there is no kind of no deal."

"You have to see the alternatives and then ask: is what we have a basis? So I hope that this can be such a basis," Merkel told reporters at a news conference on her government's digitalisation strategy.

"We have a document on the table that Britain and the EU 27 have agreed to, so for me there is no question at the moment whether we negotiate further," she added.

Merkel had earlier said she was glad that negotiators had got this far and Britain and other EU members now had to examine and finalise it.

"Firstly, I am very happy that after long negotiations which were not easy, a proposal has been pulled together," she said.

(Reporting by Madeline Chambers; Editing by Michelle Martin)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-16

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"We have a document on the table that Britain and the EU 27 have agreed to, so for me there is no question at the moment whether we negotiate further," she added.

Good. Brexit has been taken quite enough time and energy from the EU 27, to find a nice deal for UK. It's now time for the UK to put their big boy pants on and decide what they really want. 

If required, let the people of UK have their vote December. 

1) Do you want to remain in the EU?

- Yes 

- No

- I don't know

2) If UK is still leaving the EU, which deal do you want?

- This deal

- No deal

- I don't know

No more time extensions for UK. This annoying and rather uncertain period has taken long enough already.

12 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Nobody wants to make the hard decisions.

That seems to be the case. However the people who want the power, should also be able to carry the responsibilities. Good leaders do. 

11 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Merkel should concentrate on Germany and Germany only. Brexit is an UK internal decision and is linked with Brussels and not Berlin. 
Merkel has plenty of unfinished and unexplained business on her own plate; clean your own house first! 

Is that what do you say to your wife in case do divorce? "Shut up woman, this is my divorce and you don't have right to say anything!"

Yeah, we don't really need your kind of people in the EU.

1 hour ago, oilinki said:

Is that what do you say to your wife in case do divorce? "Shut up woman, this is my divorce and you don't have right to say anything!"

I think you are missing the point, it seems he doesn't to be in the EU, like many of us infact.

43 minutes ago, richabb1 said:

Ha. Just goes to show that in EU the concept of democracy such as the brexit vote just can’t be accepted and as such this is why they are putting up these road blocks. 

Can’t see anyone not accepting “the concept of democracy” or “putting up (...) road blocks”. Maybe you could elaborate. The last thing I heard is that the EU provided the UK a mechanism to implement its Brexit vote, called Article 50, and since then I haven’t noticed anyone undoing that; I don’t even think EU regulations provide any way to do that. So what the hell are you talking about? 

Edited by welovesundaysatspace
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Merkel should concentrate on Germany and Germany only. Brexit is an UK internal decision and is linked with Brussels and not Berlin. 
Merkel has plenty of unfinished and unexplained business on her own plate; clean your own house first! 

When you say “Brussels”, what does the city of Brussels have to do with Brexit? Or did you actually mean the EU, which Germany is a member of?

1 minute ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

When you say “Brussels”, what does the city of Brussels have to do with Brexit? Or did you actually mean the EU, which Germany is a member of?

I think he means 'sprouts' Honestly, what do you think he means, is it so difficult.????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Xenophobic nonsense.

The last time I checked, Germany was a pretty big player in the EU. Obviously Merkel is very involved and has every right to voice her thoughts and concerns.

If you can't add to the debate, try saying nothing. 

You are the one speaking nonsense. It is either left to their alleged ' negotiators ' who are no more than puppets of Macron and Merkel anyway, or it isn't.

That was the whole point of these Brexit people in the first place. She is supposedly an ' equal ' in a partnership of 28 EU countries, well as we all know, she isn't. This is and has been a nice little cozy relationship between Germany and France for many many years.  The other states carry very little weight. The UK as the second biggest contributor should have been afforded far more respect and more effort put into an amicable agreement. 

She continues from the sidelines to continuously put her opinions in to deflect her problems at home and influence other states. It was HER disastrous immigration policies that have led to her credibility in tatters, her party all but destroyed and the reason the Germans in many states want rid of her.

She single-handedly tried to dictate and threaten other EU states and change the whole demographics of central Europe and what she did with encouraging the ridiculous mass immigration is what has lead to the xenophobia even in Northern European states, some of the most pro-Immigrant nations in the world.

Germany under her and her overtures of a EU army are trying to achieve through the back door what they couldn't achieve through the front. I don't care if people think I am over reacting.

Edited by Scouse123
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

You are the one speaking nonsense. It is either left to their alleged ' negotiators ' who are no more than puppets of Macron and Merkel anyway, or it isn't.

That was the whole point of these Brexit people in the first place. She is supposedly an ' equal ' in a partnership of 28 EU countries, well as we all know, she isn't. This is and has been a nice little cozy relationship between Germany and France for many many years.  The other states carry very little weight. The UK as the second biggest contributor should have been afforded far more respect and more effort put into an amicable agreement. 

UK was one of the big player in the EU. For a good reason.

Being equal partner doesn't mean that you'll always get things in the way your want. That applies to all equal partners. 

Had UK's politicians and media been a bit more honest and fairer to what EU actually is, you'd be more keen to play along. But the situation is now what it is. It's too late for that anymore. 

9 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

She continues from the sidelines to continuously put her opinions in to deflect her problems at home and influence other states. It was HER disastrous immigration policies that have led to her credibility in tatters, her party all but destroyed and the reason the Germans in many states want rid of her.

She single-handedly tried to dictate and threaten other EU states and change the whole demographics of central Europe and what she did with encouraging the ridiculous mass immigration is what has lead to the xenophobia even in Northern European states, some of the most pro-Immigrant nations in the world.

Germany under her and her overtures of a EU army are trying to achieve through the back door what they couldn't achieve through the front. I don't care if people think I am over reacting.

You are over-reacting and a little racist.

6 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Agree with some of what you say.

However, it is a bit difficult when you originally sign up to play for a football team and then the EU changes the rules and says ' Thanks, for joining and buying your kit and your membership fees ' but guess what? We have now decided to play Golf.

This was supposed to be an agreement for frictionless trade and cooperation to ease tensions and prevent wars, not a superstate destroying European cultures of each country to lead to a superstate with an EU army with Germany at its head.

Sorry, I couldn't resist ????

"22 Incredible Changes To Soccer Rules Since 1863"

https://the18.com/soccer-entertainment/lists/timeline-soccer-rule-changes-evolution-laws

Communities evolve further as the time passes. 

9 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Agree with some of what you say.

However, it is a bit difficult when you originally sign up to play for a football team and then the EU changes the rules and says ' Thanks, for joining and buying your kit and your membership fees ' but guess what? We have now decided to play Golf.

This was supposed to be an agreement for frictionless trade and cooperation to ease tensions and prevent wars, not a superstate destroying European cultures of each country to lead to a superstate with an EU army with Germany at its head.

If/when any rules were changed, the elected UK government fully participated in these changes. Don’t make it look like the UK was kept out of the decision making process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah yeah,

But that is the story of a game evolving over time, not simply changing it completely to an entirely different game with fewer players and a completely different set of rules.

That is what the EU has done. A major EU think tank has stated that leaving the EU without a deal will be difficult to start but no way unsurmountable and that there is way too much hyperbole at play here by key members who want the UK to stay in, well, they want to UK cash to stay in.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, damascase said:

If/when any rules were changed, the elected UK government fully participated in these changes. Don’t make it look like the UK was kept out of the decision making process.

And if a democratically elected government chooses to obey a referendum by the people and leave a union that no longer resembles what they originally joined, they should be allowed to without all the threats, animosity and blackmail which is taking place.

Another thing, there was also no ' leaving fee ' mentioned. So where do they get their 40 billion GBP from?

I will tell you where plucked from the air at one of those big fat dinners the gluttons were probably having in Brussels.

And don't bother saying it is for ' forward commitments '. Forget that load of tripe before you try it, because if you are in a car dealership and decide to expand your fleet into trucks and hybrid cars, and then one of the main financiers and major players leaves the company, you have to scale back your ambitions, not try to pressure him to pay into something more that he has nothing to do with anymore.

That is precisely what the EU is doing, or more to the point, Germany and France, as the rest are ignored unless needed to make up voting numbers and give the impression it is an agreement by all the EU countries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Another thing, there was also no ' leaving fee ' mentioned. So where do they get their 40 billion GBP from?

That's part of the amount of agreed projects UK choose to co-operate and will partly benefit itself. Things like scientific research which requires time and money to get good results. These results will improve our quality of life later on. Co-operation in various fields. Co-operation buildings and other infrastructure build to UK and paid by EU. etc. 

Partly as I understood the bill was reduced quite a lot. 

Hopefully someone will dig into the bill details. That is also the money which UK ows to the EU. It must be paid, regardless if there is a deal or not. I know folks like Mogg like to say it's paid for nothing, but he is either lying or simply doesn't understand. Neither is good for that gold digging selfish person's reputation.

As it was said in the house yesterday (over and over again), the deal May is proposing is significantly worse than the deal that we now have so to expect MPs to vote it through is living in cloud cuckoo land.  Ironically the May's deal is not bad for me personally because it means I can keep my business in the UK rather than moving it to Holland and continue to import and export without restrictions.  I can also travel back and forth to Europe hassle free.  At least for the foreseeable future.

Having said that, this deal by May is dreadful for the country and cannot be allowed to go through. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, oilinki said:

Well, to start with, I am still married after 36 years.

Secondly, Britain is not getting "divorced" but terminates a political trade deal and not an emotional bond.

Thirdly the separation is from the EU and not from Germany alone - a slight difference as far as my irrelevant knowledge is concerned. 

And, to please you, I am not holding an EU passport ???? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, welovesundaysatspace said:

Point taken, the gifted reader though might have figured that I refer to Brussels as the head office of the EU and not in the context of being the Belgian capital. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, khunken said:

Actually the UK is a far bigger contributor to the immigration problem. Blindly following the US in invading & bombing countries into various types of failed state opened the doors for a million or so refugees & migrants to overwhelm Greece, Italy & Malta. That's the cause & Germany had to deal with the effect.

Well said!

It is IMO a case of the chickens coming home to roost .

• Like 1