Proof of address from Immigration for Thai Driving Licence

oporhatch

Went to get information about obtaining a Thai Driving licence yesterday , where everything was clear except for the proof of residence.  He said we had to produce a Thai written document verified by Immigration.  The guy showed me 2 pictures on his phone or what he was talking about.  However both were completely different (ie no form numbers etc)

One of the pictures did look like an official  standard document.  ( I am not the owner of a house etc) 

My questions are 

1) Is there an official document that I need to take to immigration and get it authorised

2) can I just get my own done in thai  and take it to immigration to get authorised

3) Do the Thai immigration  have a service/form that they would fill in for this type of purpose, when requested

Hopefully you can help me  -  as I would like to get clear what I need to provide (Form wise) before I make the 100k trip

An application form exists, but it might not be needed (here in Udon Thani it's not needed): https://expatautocm.com/wp-content/uploads/certificate_of_residency_application.pdf

The document that you have to get from them is this, if you show them the picture they should understand it and if required they would probably give you the application from:

CResidence640.jpg.99f66888dae22e9d9746afd11276e2b4.jpg

Have some proof of your residence with you, like a rental contract in your name (make sure it includes the proper address of your place written in Thai, because they write this on the certificate of residence), or if you if you just stay at your GF's house a signed copy of her house book and id card and a statement that you stay with her.

Other than that you need two passport photos and copies of your passport.

Expect to be asked for 500THB for it, in theory it should be free, but it's common that they charge you for it.

If you plan to get motorbike + car license you might need two original certificate of residence, call your DLT and ask about this before going to immigration.

I needed a cert of residence for my licence renewal and was advised I could get it from immigration. I can only go from. My experience but went about 3 weeks ago and got my number at immigration got to the desk after waiting nearly 3 hours only to be told "big boss said we can not do any more" despite a lot of conversation and also showing my Thai Elite membership (which normally holds some favors) I did speak to a supervisor who was the senior lady at the desk  and she said they just change rules so you must go to embassy or your consulate. So be warned, maybe I was just unlucky but it seems the facility at Chaeng Wattana is no longer available?

Try your local tourist police office. I got my certificate of residence from Ubon tourist police station. My partner had to completed a basic form saying I lived at the house address, her ID card and with my passport I received the certification within 15 minutes. A lot quicker and easier than the immergration office, who were very unhelpful to say the least. 

Note that they have an expiry date. (I had to go to Bangkok for my DL because the locals would not accept my licence, which was in English, and it had expired when I got there. So I went to the embassy and did a stat. dec. of my address which they accepted.) 

10 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Ayutthaya DMV accepted my Pink Card ???? and Yellow Book ???? in lieu of a special form 

In Nakhonsawan they told me to ignore immigration and just accepted my yellow house book. So as stated previously the requirements vary in each district. 

It is my understanding that you can obtain a notarized certificate of residence from the embassy of your country of residence in lieu of certificate of residence from Thai Immigration.

The cost might be a little bit more but you will probably experience less time and aggravation.   

11 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

In Nakhonsawan they told me to ignore immigration and just accepted my yellow house book. So as stated previously the requirements vary in each district. 

Where I am the yellow book sorts it, print a copy, job done...????

On 11/18/2018 at 2:33 PM, dazza810 said:

I needed a cert of residence for my licence renewal and was advised I could get it from immigration. I can only go from. My experience but went about 3 weeks ago and got my number at immigration got to the desk after waiting nearly 3 hours only to be told "big boss said we can not do any more" despite a lot of conversation and also showing my Thai Elite membership (which normally holds some favors) I did speak to a supervisor who was the senior lady at the desk  and she said they just change rules so you must go to embassy or your consulate. So be warned, maybe I was just unlucky but it seems the facility at Chaeng Wattana is no longer available?

Last time I visited immigration in Bangkok, they wouldn't issue one unless I had a current 90 day check-in. Since I have never stayed in Thailand >90 days at a stretch, I didn't have one, so no residence certificate for me ????

Since I will soon need to transfer a car to my name, I asked the Australian Embassy last week. Here is what they wrote.

"Please be advised that the Australian Embassy in Bangkok does not issue ‘residency certificate’ to support the purchase of vehicle; however, we can witness your signature on a statutory declaration in which you declare your residential address.

To complete the statutory declaration, you will need to attend the Embassy in person. The current cost for this service is THB 1,620 (as at November 2018) and payable by credit or debit card.

You are required to book an appointment prior to your visit:"

Not sure what next ...

While we are on the topic, I would assume that a CoR would need to be in Thai (or bilingual), no? Or is something in English sufficient?

Does anybody have a copy of an affidavit CoR they have successfully used for a car or driver's licence?

I applied for my first 5 year licence at Hua Hin in February this year. I took my rental agreement which was in English, and was issued with CoR without any problem, from memory I think I paid some money for this but not a lot. Took this along with all the other forms to Cha Am Driving Licence office and had the new licence in my hands within 30 minutes. I continually read all the dramatic stories relating to peoples experiences with the authorities on this forum and after 10 years of staying in Thailand for 3 or 4 months per annum I wonder why I have been so lucky in avoiding any issues or confrontation. I think maybe a good attitude goes a long way with Thai people.

Archived