mpay account blocked because I am a foreigner

A few days ago I got a message in Thai saying my mpay account was blocked. I went to the AIS office. They said there was something wrong with my registration (but I had been using it for more than a year without problem), and asked for a copy of my passport. They said that after 3 days everything would be back to normal. But it wasn't it. I still have no access to my money.

According to the AIS person today, they will block all accounts of foreigners and the only way to get our money back would be a bank transfer which would take 5 days.

Does somebody have the same experience?

• 1 month later...

Don't know if this is related, but I haven't been able to access my old account and re-registering with a foreign ID has been impossible for at least a year.

No idea if that was particular to my own account but if you try and register through the AIS mPay app, unless you have a Thai passport it is impossible.

When I dug further into this they said that if I went to an AIS shop with my passport they could activate the various services that you can't use without having a registered ID. What I did find was that you can still use the service for payments to AIS so I used that to clear my balance. Only have about 30 baht in it now so can't be asked faffing about taking passport to an AIS shop to get that back.

IIRC I only used it to pay a certain utility bill when I lived in Chiang Mai and that was the only app that supported it. Never used it otherwise. I find it quite clunky to use and top up, Rabbit Line Pay is much better IMO, especially since linking my BTS card. I'm guessing it you really wanted mPay you could register it at an AIS shop with a passport.

Posted using Tapatalk

Archived