Jack Reacher: With Tom Cruise out, who will play the action hero next?

snoop1130

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Have you seen anything good with Nick lately? Mostly straight to DVD fodder. He's jowly and over the hill.

He was on Thai TV last week. Well liked by the 'wicker man' (US version) fans. And that other film where he is on fire riding a bike for most of it.

I would have gone for Oliver Reed a few years back; RIP Olly.

The problem that once the "dye is cast" so to speak, with Cruise doing the two movies, to depart from that character look and go back to the original book description wouldnt be credible, they have to go with somewhat similar appearance now or it just wouldnt follow on (IMHO)

The "Jack Ryan" character did this, various actors but a similiar look.

from Ford/Baldwin/Afleck etc.

Chris Pine wouldnt be bad as Reacher come to thnk of it ! He's 6ft.........

282920_v9_ba.jpg

• Haha 1

Ghost protocol was so bad I almost wanted to return the pirate DVD and demand my money back. Cruise has done a few decent flicks but overall he's only a few pegs above the puppy killer Siegal. About on par with Cage. He's full of himself as well.

14 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Cruise was Outta Reacher

How about Rory McCann (The Hound), with Game of Thrones coming to an end he's going to be looking for work.

Also from GOT - Jason Momoa. although he would need an army haircut after his Aquaman role:

drogo.jpgacquaman.jpg

Other tall actors with presence include Joe Manganiallo and Armie Hammer.  Affleck has the height?

• Like 1

I don't know why but when ever I have read the books I have always imagined Reacher as Hugh Jackman.

Yes I know he is Australian but at 6'2" he is not far off the correct height. To me Reacher is not a well groomed character, he buys cheap clothes that he wears then bins and is rarely clean shaven. Yes he is a big, fit man but a bodybuilder's physique? Not so sure about that. That is not his lifestyle. 

Edited by Dmaxdan
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

The problem that once the "dye is cast" so to speak, with Cruise doing the two movies, to depart from that character look and go back to the original book description wouldnt be credible, they have to go with somewhat similar appearance now or it just wouldnt follow on (IMHO)

The "Jack Ryan" character did this, various actors but a similiar look.

from Ford/Baldwin/Afleck etc.

Chris Pine wouldnt be bad as Reacher come to thnk of it ! He's 6ft.........

282920_v9_ba.jpg

I initially thought you had posted the wrong picture, he and Chris Hemsworth look very similar.

pine .pnghemsworth.png

Recently saw "The Outlaw King"  with Pine playing Robert the Bruce.

Average film and acting. He was no William Wallace! (who made a partial guest appearance in the film) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

The guy that played the winklevoss twins in the social network , Armie hammer would fit the bill. Hes 6 ft 5 and big bloke . Or Ben Affleck as he's a bit older looking.

Not rugged enough, too much of a pretty boy. I always imagine Reacher with an Arnie-like head.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I wonder how many people who read the books didn't watch the movies because of little Tom. I am one of those. If now a Reacher movie would come out with an actor who has the build of the original Reacher I would likely watch that movie. And I guess I am not alone.

But then, maybe only 10% of the people who watched the Tom Cruise movies read the books. So we are the minority and nobody makes Hollywood movies for minorities...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I wonder how many people who read the books didn't watch the movies because of little Tom. I am one of those. If now a Reacher movie would come out with an actor who has the build of the original Reacher I would likely watch that movie. And I guess I am not alone.

But then, maybe only 10% of the people who watched the Tom Cruise movies read the books. So we are the minority and nobody makes Hollywood movies for minorities...

Good point. I rarely watch movies where I have read the book as the movie tends to bare little resemblance, in many instances it could be said the movie is only a "nod" toward the book and only share basic storyline.

I am not a big reader in that respect and enjoy the movies purely as entertainment value and 90 minute escapism....555....I tend not to be too analytical of them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I have read all the Jack Reacher novels, including the last one, Past Tense, just out...

What they have in common is their slow pace, with a lot of thinking and searching by Reacher himself, which doesn't translate well into movies, especially action movies (action fills probably less than 10% of  the pages of a Reacher novel).

Having said that, I don't know of any actual famous or semi-famous actor that would fit both Reacher's physical appearance and demeanor.

Looking into the past, it could have been Clint Eastwood when he was doing movies like Every Which Way But Loose...but he has no successor...maybe the reason why he is still working at 88...I am waiting for the release of The Mule next month...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I've read the first dozen Reacher novels and I saw the Cruise movie version, I'm not a big fan of Cruise and I didn't buy him as Reacher, but the movie was watchable though not memorable. I think 99% of all stories are better in the book than in the movie, the pictures are always better in my head than on the screen.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I've read the first dozen Reacher novels and I saw the Cruise movie version, I'm not a big fan of Cruise and I didn't buy him as Reacher, but the movie was watchable though not memorable. I think 99% of all stories are better in the book than in the movie, the pictures are always better in my head than on the screen.

Maybe someone should have called the Cruise movie "Little Reacher"

3 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Good point. I rarely watch movies where I have read the book as the movie tends to bare little resemblance, in many instances it could be said the movie is only a "nod" toward the book and only share basic storyline.

I am not a big reader in that respect and enjoy the movies purely as entertainment value and 90 minute escapism....555....I tend not to be too analytical of them.

Problem with reading the book first is where you have Fanboys at the movies, like in the Lord of the Rings, when some Dork dressed like a Orc would jump up and scream "thats not what Aragump sang to Bluemooviel" then break out in Elvish songs and spoil a fabulous decapitation scene.

26 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Problem with reading the book first is where you have Fanboys at the movies, like in the Lord of the Rings, when some Dork dressed like a Orc would jump up and scream "thats not what Aragump sang to Bluemooviel" then break out in Elvish songs and spoil a fabulous decapitation scene.

Does this happen?

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Does this happen?

Ive seen it. Ever been to Rocky Horror Picture Show. Or been on a date with a girl who critiques Meg Ryans orgasm in Sleepless in Seattle? 

Thats why I think I am losing it. Im going to eat a bucket of seafood.

• Like 1