Boost in workers’ skills necessary to propel nation forward: Thai minister

webfact

6 hours ago, akampa said:

and who trains the Thai supervisors ? I am interested to know. I would imagine that the Thais speak English and they get to go to factory's in Germany and the US to get there training. 

My SIL's engineer hubby goes to Korea for training every once in a while. With the Thai interpreter in tow. I imagine it's the same.

My engineer wife has been training for the past month at Samsung.  She sits in meetings all day long and then comes back and trains her staff.  Samsung in Thailand.  I imagine it is the same with most companies in Thailand. 

Anecdotal evidence is just great isin't it? 

Edited by marcusarelus

4 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

And? One swallow doth not a summer make.

2.2 BMW

2.3 Daihatsu

2.4 Ford

2.5 General Motors

2.6 Honda

2.7 Isuzu

2.8 Mazda

2.9 Mercedes-Benz

2.10 MG

2.11 Mitsubishi

2.12 Nissan

2.13 Tata

2.14 Thai Rung

2.15 Toyota

2.16 Vera

2.17 Volvo

2.18 Volkswagen

2.19 Yontrakit Motors

Choke yet?  I've got a thousand more. 

We could start with electronics.  It is Thailand’s largest export sector.  Thousands of photos of electronic things.  You do know that rice is only 1.3% of Thailand's exports don't you?  Or did you just get here?

Edited by marcusarelus

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

2.2 BMW

2.3 Daihatsu

2.4 Ford

2.5 General Motors

2.6 Honda

2.7 Isuzu

2.8 Mazda

2.9 Mercedes-Benz

2.10 MG

2.11 Mitsubishi

2.12 Nissan

2.13 Tata

2.14 Thai Rung

2.15 Toyota

2.16 Vera

2.17 Volvo

2.18 Volkswagen

2.19 Yontrakit Motors

Choke yet?  I've got a thousand more. 

We could start with electronics.  It is Thailand’s largest export sector.  Thousands of photos of electronic things.  You do know that rice is only 1.3% of Thailand's exports don't you?  Or did you just get here?

Nah, you're right. I'm going to turn over a new leaf. From this moment, in all things I do in this country, I'm going to go around marvelling at how competent these people are. I'm going to go around being amazed at how they never frack anything up.

Because you say so.

And please, dont talk to me about Yontrakit. I bought a car from Yontrakit some ywars ago and it was the worst car I've ever known. There isn't anything you can tell me about Yontrakit.

Car makers employ Thais because they're cheap and only give them jobs that are unassailably impossible to balls up. Skills in Thailand is a real problem for everyone who knows anything about it, so we'll have to look elsewhere than facts to understand why you seem to be convinced that you're right and everyone else isn't.

*sigh*

2 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Nah, you're right. I'm going to turn over a new leaf. From this moment, in all things I do in this country, I'm going to go around marvelling at how competent these people are. I'm going to go around being amazed at how they never frack anything up.

Because you say so.

And please, dont talk to me about Yontrakit. I bought a car from Yontrakit some ywars ago and it was the worst car I've ever known. There isn't anything you can tell me about Yontrakit.

Car makers employ Thais because they're cheap and only give them jobs that are unassailably impossible to balls up. Skills in Thailand is a real problem for everyone who knows anything about it, so we'll have to look elsewhere than facts to understand why you seem to be convinced that you're right and everyone else isn't.

*sigh*

Sigh.

List of brain surgeons in Bangkok

https://www.health-tourism.com/neurosurgery/thailand-c-bangkok/

Nuclear and particle physics research in Thailand.

https://indico.in2p3.fr/event/2481/contributions/24370/attachments/19613/24028/80_poster_A4.pdf.pdf

I realize you know nothing about auto manufacturing but the cars are made here not the parts are made somewhere else and shipped here to be assembled.  Ford, for example, gives the specs to our local Somchai who casts the part and machines it and gives it to the assembly factory to be put together.  That's why making cars here is such a big deal for every one Ford factory there are 1000 little Thai jobbers making parts. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Are you the comic relief?

gdp.png

Agreed on the GDP.

Progression is a whole load more than GDP. Thailand has one of the worst Education systems in the World, Poor Health Care and Hospitals, as well as an inadequate water suppy, and intermittent Electic.

There are Millions in debt due to poor wages and Employment prospecrts also

Going forward means to fix these issues

On 11/20/2018 at 1:39 PM, marcusarelus said:

There are 170 institutions of higher education in Thailand, both public and private, offering 4,100 curricula. There are at least 1,000 PhD programs offered at 33 Thai universities.  So how many Thai students are in college?  You should as you are talking like an authority.   3 million?  Check it out.

http://www.headfoundation.org/featuredresearch/Final - Thailand PB.pdf

It appears that you are totally wrong. 

The article tagged in your post, is a good read.  Pumping out students (and PHD's) from a broken system, produces "jack".  Just more spin, we all know it.  Que será, será

Here's a snip:

the junta’s significant emphasis on “Thai values and morals” – possibly the area where the increased education budget is going towards – comes at the cost of ignoring other, much- needed education reforms. Critics say that Thailand has only two universities among the top 100 universities in Asia, according to the Times Higher Education University Rankings of 2014, and none of the universities are in the top 50. To make matters worse, no Thai university has been ranked in the Times ranking of the world’s top 400.

10 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

The article tagged in your post, is a good read.  Pumping out students (and PHD's) from a broken system, produces "jack".  Just more spin, we all know it.  Que será, será

Here's a snip:

the junta’s significant emphasis on “Thai values and morals” – possibly the area where the increased education budget is going towards – comes at the cost of ignoring other, much- needed education reforms. Critics say that Thailand has only two universities among the top 100 universities in Asia, according to the Times Higher Education University Rankings of 2014, and none of the universities are in the top 50. To make matters worse, no Thai university has been ranked in the Times ranking of the world’s top 400.

Top 12 universities in Thailand internationally ranked.

https://www.mastersportal.com/ranking-country/138/thailand.html

Graduating from a top 12 University in Thailand is far better than not going to a University at all in Canada. 

45 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Sigh.

List of brain surgeons in Bangkok

https://www.health-tourism.com/neurosurgery/thailand-c-bangkok/

Nuclear and particle physics research in Thailand.

https://indico.in2p3.fr/event/2481/contributions/24370/attachments/19613/24028/80_poster_A4.pdf.pdf

I realize you know nothing about auto manufacturing but the cars are made here not the parts are made somewhere else and shipped here to be assembled.  Ford, for example, gives the specs to our local Somchai who casts the part and machines it and gives it to the assembly factory to be put together.  That's why making cars here is such a big deal for every one Ford factory there are 1000 little Thai jobbers making parts. 

Sorry friend, I still recall your statement that your maid and your gardener both speak 4 languages, in fact, that everyone in Bangkok speaks at least 4 languages.

I can't have this conversation with you because I strongly suspect you're a contrarian troll.

I do however, hope you have a wonderful and satisfying day, you'll just have to have it with someone else.

"Nuclear and particle physics research in Thailand."

Dear God...

Edited by HalfLight
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Agreed on the GDP.

Progression is a whole load more than GDP. Thailand has one of the worst Education systems in the World, Poor Health Care and Hospitals, as well as an inadequate water suppy, and intermittent Electic.

There are Millions in debt due to poor wages and Employment prospecrts also

Going forward means to fix these issues

Thailand is now ranked 27th among 56 countries ranked on the Bloomberg Health Care Efficiency Index, up from 41st place last year.

Thailand has three of the world's most technologically advanced hospitals in the world.

https://www.topmastersinhealthcare.com/30-most-technologically-advanced-hospitals-in-the-world/

Debt USA 94%

UK 313%

Netherlands 515%

Belgium 265%

Thailand 33%

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_external_debt

Edited by marcusarelus

3 minutes ago, HalfLight said:

Sorry friend, I still recall your statement that your maid and your gardener both speak 4 languages, in fact, that everyone in Bangkok speaks at least 4 languages.

I can't have this conversation with you because I strongly suspect you're a contrarian troll.

I do however, hope you have a wonderful and satisfying day, you'll just have to have it with someone else.

"Nuclear and particle physics research in Thailand."

Dear God...

Gardner speaks Thai, Khmer, Lao and Koui.

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Thailand is the 12th largest automobile producer in the world and a leading producer of hard disk drives, making
it a major exporter of high-value goods, ranking 14th in the world.

Solly mate, but i just started checking your facts and guess what? The first fact i checked was false!

Thailand is ranked the second largest Hard Disk Drive (HDD) producer in the world after China

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/economics/58794-thai-hdd-industry-choice-stay-walk-away.html

I still don't know if thailand makes SSD drives, if not they better start very soon cause they are too late already....who wants a harddisk these days??

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

the cars are made here not the parts are made somewhere else and shipped here to be assembled.  Ford, for example, gives the specs to our local Somchai who casts the part and machines it and gives it to the assembly factory to be put together.  That's why making cars here is such a big deal for every one Ford factory there are 1000 little Thai jobbers making parts. 

So carparts for a Ford can be made in thailand but also in another country for another price?

I have a Honda motocy made in Vietnam, will that have Thai made parts or vietnamese parts? And a honda motocy from Japan has all parts made in japan?

I never knew this...but i prefer everything made in japan, all parts that is. 

5 minutes ago, fruitman said:

Solly mate, but i just started checking your facts and guess what? The first fact i checked was false!

Thailand is ranked the second largest Hard Disk Drive (HDD) producer in the world after China

https://www.thailand-business-news.com/economics/58794-thai-hdd-industry-choice-stay-walk-away.html

I still don't know if thailand makes SSD drives, if not they better start very soon cause they are too late already....who wants a harddisk these days??

Sorry mate, I checked your post and you can't read.  I said Thailand is a leading producer of hard drives.  What does leading mean to you? 

On 11/20/2018 at 6:39 AM, mok199 said:

May I suggest improve ''English language'' skills first..then try enforcing laws ..

And make the teachers teach something useful in this century instead of just beating the kids up (and getting told "don't let anyone catch you doing that again.")

13 minutes ago, fruitman said:

So carparts for a Ford can be made in thailand but also in another country for another price?

I have a Honda motocy made in Vietnam, will that have Thai made parts or vietnamese parts? And a honda motocy from Japan has all parts made in japan?

I never knew this...but i prefer everything made in japan, all parts that is. 

Ford’s 2017 Fiesta, which was assembled in Mexico — with a Brazilian engine and Mexican transmission.

The 2017 Ford Focus, for example, is built in the United States, but only gets 40% of its parts from the U.S. and Canada, according to federal data.

10 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Ford’s 2017 Fiesta, which was assembled in Mexico — with a Brazilian engine and Mexican transmission.

The 2017 Ford Focus, for example, is built in the United States, but only gets 40% of its parts from the U.S. and Canada, according to federal data.

Well i learned something.

A bmw 5 series GT is made in China, Egypt, Germany, India, Indonesia, Malaysia,Russia, Thailand

I would prefer the one made in Germany, but do the ones from the other countries all have the same parts or can they also be made locally?

Here you can see what is made in thailand: https://www.productfrom.com/products/TH/0/0/1/#!

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

They are not exactly cast by medieval blacksmiths having magic hands. These days most manufacturing is sending over the specs electronically to feed into machines. Some human interaction is needed and that's why they produce in countries with the cheapest labor, as the machines to all the brain requiring work. Hence, Thailand.

That said, when Seagate started doing HDDs in Thailand, the quality instantly plummeted. I remember one breaking every year until I gave up and started buying WD, which seem marginally better. Luckily SSDs are now here, no more somchai-tech.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

They are not exactly cast by medieval blacksmiths having magic hands. These days most manufacturing is sending over the specs electronically to feed into machines. Some human interaction is needed and that's why they produce in countries with the cheapest labor, as the machines to all the brain requiring work. Hence, Thailand.

That said, when Seagate started doing HDDs in Thailand, the quality instantly plummeted. I remember one breaking every year until I gave up and started buying WD, which seem marginally better. Luckily SSDs are now here, no more somchai-tech.

Never worked in an auto factory eh?  You don't know much about it.  I have a Thai friend who maintains the robotic equipment.  The job focus has changed to less unskilled line people and more Thai skilled employees to operate and maintain the sophisticated production equipment.  Instead of what you suggests auto manufacture in Thailand requires more not less brain work.  Sorry.  

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Never worked in an auto factory eh?  You don't know much about it. 

Extended family has workers for Toyota and they are not the sharpest tools I've met. They move the products and parts from and to assembly lines, requires just about 0 brains and will likely be automated in the future as well.

On maintaining the robots, yet another family member works for a paper mill and he maintains the machines by executing steps from a laptop maintenance software. The supervisors come from Sweden/Finland every month to do anything more advanced. He got the job because his BIL happens to be Swedish, not because of his brain power. So yeah I know how the process goes.

I myself built assembly lines for electronics in previous life. The line workers were all given bulletproof step-by-step instructions and the brainiacs I put in QA. Again all strictly controlled and for most part automated.

This is the future of work and why Thailand will lose big time: https://www.weforum.org/about/jobs-and-the-fourth-industrial-revolution . Workers in menial jobs are easy to replace.

20 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Neither does America in the case of Toyota, Nissan and all the other foreign brands, so what?  The Thai auto industry is made up of primary and secondary suppliers.  They make the parts that go into the cars in Thailand.  The company gives them a spec for a part and they make it from scratch and give it to the assembly plant. 

Awe jeez, you got me ???? missed the point wise one

On 11/21/2018 at 6:35 AM, marcusarelus said:

I would agree with that.  When I first got to Thailand the agriculture work force was 80% and rice exports much higher than the 1 and a half percent they are at now.  Thailand has made a lot of progress to go from 80 to 40% of the workforce going into industry and away from farming same as any other country in the West.  Health care has drastically improved and college graduates increased in the millions. 

Thailand is not a victim of the social unrest that spawned the communist takeovers in the rest of South East Asia. 

Change is inevitable as the country becomes more educated.   2.5 million students are enrolled in tertiary education as we speak. 

The problem with that decrease is now  finding any labourers to tend crops is extremely  difficult, same as in the Uk with Polish workers initially doing fruit  picking years ago, now I doubt even the Poles do that.

In 5 years  looking for staff ive only found 2 really suitable and actually  able to work ie not bone idle and doing nothing as soon as your back is  turned.

Fortunately I now have two who are very good  certainly the best in 5  years.

44 minutes ago, kannot said:

The problem with that decrease is now  finding any labourers to tend crops is extremely  difficult, same as in the Uk with Polish workers initially doing fruit  picking years ago, now I doubt even the Poles do that.

Can't the imams help with the crops?

The UK has thousands of them and they have plenty of free time...

3 hours ago, kannot said:

In 5 years  looking for staff ive only found 2 really suitable and actually  able to work ie not bone idle and doing nothing as soon as your back is  turned.

Fortunately I now have two who are very good  certainly the best in 5  years.

The answer of course is to raise rice as it's done in the USA. 

• 4 weeks later...
Extended family has workers for Toyota and they are not the sharpest tools I've met. They move the products and parts from and to assembly lines, requires just about 0 brains and will likely be automated in the future as well.

On maintaining the robots, yet another family member works for a paper mill and he maintains the machines by executing steps from a laptop maintenance software. The supervisors come from Sweden/Finland every month to do anything more advanced. He got the job because his BIL happens to be Swedish, not because of his brain power. So yeah I know how the process goes.

I myself built assembly lines for electronics in previous life. The line workers were all given bulletproof step-by-step instructions and the brainiacs I put in QA. Again all strictly controlled and for most part automated.

This is the future of work and why Thailand will lose big time: https://www.weforum.org/about/jobs-and-the-fourth-industrial-revolution . Workers in menial jobs are easy to replace.

From that link you just posted - I like this ;

To that end he recommended an investment in the creativity of the young, especially important as he believes many schools to be actively stamping it out.

The second category he recommends is that of interpersonal skills, teamwork and leadership. “It doesn’t help to have a robot give you a pep talk,” he says. “People may not have degrees, but they can have high emotional intelligence.”

Lastly he encourages people to follow their passions. “The people who do well do so because they are the best in something,” he explained, saying that their love gives them that extra drive to excel, and it is this that will be most

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app