7-Eleven wages war on plastic bags

webfact

1 hour ago, fruitman said:

When i buy a pizzacompany pizza i get loads of ketchup in plastic which i don't need.

Same goes for burgerking burgers.

I hope mr Heineken? stops that as well.

They give you ketchup with your beer?    ????

Just take your own cloth shopping bag. It really is that simple.

Been using one for years, never had any problem or expression of surprise declining plastic bags, on the contrary most checkout staff are fully familiar with packing your bag instead of a sorry succession of plastic.

In 7.11 t he rare times I have been in, just say no to a plastic bag.

Does anyone recall how Thais shopped [and carried their market purchases] before the invasion of Western-inspired supermarkets, convenient marts, and plastics of every description....??

Some manners still in use today....

Since a long time, my wife and I always use our own sturdy, re-usable shopping bags. They take very little space and we always have them with us.  The cashiers were initially surprised years ago, but by now they are very accustomed to such habits and they happily use our bags instead. At many places, when it's just 1-2 simple items they usually ask if we want a plastic bag.

So yes, things are changing at the user end. The problem is of course that we are still stuck with mountains of plastic packaging at home.

We also bought a set of aluminum re-usable straws, lots of sizes, hygienic and cheap from Lazada. That's more difficult however, even if we ask for "no straw" the drinks often come with a straw already in.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Does 7 Eleven not have their name/logo on the plastic bags already? I haven't accepted one from any of the Udon branches for a few years, so just don't know.

Surely by having their logo on plastic bags would result in more bad publicity, when they would be seen blowing around in the wind/laying on the side of the road?

"The answer, my friend, is blowin’ in the wind
The answer is blowin’ in the wind".

13 hours ago, connda said:

It government get real and bans them, then it's game over.  However, there is big money in plastics.  Plastics are oil, and oil is money.  The Petro-Chemical Industry which makes the bags lobbies governments not to ban their products.
Money talks.  BS walks...right to the PR department of retailers who play like they care and who create these disingenuous 'let end plastic bags together' campaigns <group hug>.  ????
The quickest, easiest way to end the plastic problem is to ban consumer plastics.  We were living quite well without most of them when I was born.  We can go back, but first the addicts need to understand the addiction to plastics from the end-users, though to the middle-men, though to the 'pushers' and right to the source of the plastic cartels: Big Oil

I take your point completely about the root cause of it and the fact the government could ban plastic bags at a stroke.

Surely by the 'little man' trying to do something and raise awareness , then eventually everyone will be aware about the whole picture.

It's just so frustrating in Thailand that most of the end consumers have no knowledge and no interest in the global problem that it is.

I see even today the dead whale washed up in Indonesia had 6kg of plastic bags and over 100 plastic cups in its stomach.

If one is truly concerned, live one's protest. [guess that might be asking too much]

Don't shop at western commercial outlets and stop consuming processed crap wrapped in plastic and carried out in plastic. 

There are plenty of alternatives here.

21 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

It would be a good start if the idiots in 7/11 (as well as Tesco and Big C) didn't put anything heavier than a large bottle of milk or beer in TWO plastic bags!   ????  ????

I do not find that at all - when 2 are used it is for valid weight reasons.  And in any case they will not be single use for most of us as will double as trash bin liners at home.  It is straws/plastic cups/small bags that should be first target IMHO - as they serve no function after single use (and in case of straws are not required for most uses).  It may be turning back time but paper can be used for a lot of bag applications but for now seems confined to hospital use (probably due cost - but expect that could be greatly lowered with wider usage).

17 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

If one is truly concerned, live one's protest. [guess that might be asking too much]

Don't shop at western commercial outlets and stop consuming processed crap wrapped in plastic and carried out in plastic. 

There are plenty of alternatives here.

The Thais don't seem concerned so why should I be? They know best. Personally I reprimand the clerk if she doesn't put my gum in a separate package from M 150 and a seperate bag for the straw. I of course throw it all out my window as I drive home drunk. When in Rome...

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, djayz said:

I've just bought one of those small pineapple pies and watched in disbelief as the checkout girl put it in a plastic bag even though I stood there in front of her with my bag opened. I had to tell her TWICE "mai sai tueng". Obviously the troops haven't received the memo that 7's at war on plastic bags! LOL

Uh-huh...

Not much of a war, is it....?

Lotsa talk.

????

10 minutes ago, djayz said:

I've just bought one of those small pineapple pies and watched in disbelief as the checkout girl put it in a plastic bag even though I stood there in front of her with my bag opened. I had to tell her TWICE "mai sai tueng". Obviously the troops haven't received the memo that 7's at war on plastic bags! LOL

Those humble cashiers are the future face of law enforcement.

18 hours ago, Gillyflower said:

I have been asked each time if I want a bag

I can't be bothered scrolling up, but is the poster who asked why you would need a straw fora bottle of oil.....is he for real?  That post gave me my only smile for the day.

I once bought 2 cans of coke, a can of beer and a bottle of mouthwash!

Got 4 straws!

Go figure!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I take your point completely about the root cause of it and the fact the government could ban plastic bags at a stroke.

Surely by the 'little man' trying to do something and raise awareness , then eventually everyone will be aware about the whole picture.

It's just so frustrating in Thailand that most of the end consumers have no knowledge and no interest in the global problem that it is.

I see even today the dead whale washed up in Indonesia had 6kg of plastic bags and over 100 plastic cups in its stomach.

A sad day for whales. To be fair, I've not heard any suggestion that any of the plastic actually came from 7-11 or Thailand. But that is of no real consequence as plastic comes for other countries as well as Thailand.

There was a lovely, brown horse, in Finchley, called 'Bo Bo', that we would go to see at weekends. One day we went and the horse was 'brown bread'. Why??? The urban-farm keeper said that it had eaten too many plastic things. Very sad day for us kids.

The kids of today have been brought up on plastic stuff; bottles, toys, bags, shoes, bags, cups etc.  It's different for a lot of us. We can recall a world when things were not plastic. I can remember when jellies (plastic shoes) first came to our neighborhood. Everyone wanted them. Suddenly canvas and rubber slippers (plimsolls or pumps) were old fashioned.

The Americans even left a plastic flag-pole on the moon. Can't argue with progress I guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

A sad day for whales. To be fair, I've not heard any suggestion that any of the plastic actually came from 7-11 or Thailand.

Perhaps not the whale but Thailand ranks number 7 in the world for plastic dumped into the ocean.

China, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam are dumping more plastic into oceans than the rest of the world combined , according to a 2017 report by Ocean Conservancy.Apr 21, 2018

Infographic: The Countries Polluting The Oceans The Most   | Statista

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2018 at 11:15 AM, Misterwhisper said:

We have Nov 20 today and it seems the "war" hasn't started on all fronts yet; at least not in my Bangkok neighborhood where two nearby 7-Elevens are still dispensing plastic bags en masse as they always have. CP might want to work on the chain of command a bit so the "war orders" also filter down to the smaller "combat units" deployed in the suburbs.

One positive point of note: Since recently, I don't earn myself a confused look or even suspicious frown from 7-Eleven staff any longer when I refuse accepting a plastic bag with my single-item purchase. Yes, they even listen to me when I turn down the two plastic spoons or half a dozen plastic straws. In the old days they frequently ignored my pleas that I was rich enough to have my own spoon and thus didn't need theirs.

My 7-Eleven staff know that if I can carry the goods, I will, and mostly don't put them into bags, or politely ask me. Sadly, the last time I purchased a 6-pack of 1.5ltr water, the plastic shroud was broken and couldn't be carried. 2 bags for the water and a bag tied across the top to serve as a handle. Devastated I was at first, but was able to "recycle" them as personal rubbish bags.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ebonykap said:

My 7-Eleven staff know that if I can carry the goods, I will, and mostly don't put them into bags, or politely ask me. Sadly, the last time I purchased a 6-pack of 1.5ltr water, the plastic shroud was broken and couldn't be carried. 2 bags for the water and a bag tied across the top to serve as a handle. Devastated I was at first, but was able to "recycle" them as personal rubbish bags.

Great stuff!!

That's a word I've not seen used on this thread; 'recycle'. Good on yer ebonycap.

In the next village to me there is a screw press, for squeezing the oil from palm nuts. I'm gonna suggest that we pick up all the plastic bags and try to compress them down into discs. These discs could then be used in the construction or furniture industries.

Great post ebonycap.

Edited by owl sees all
added furniture into sentence

9 hours ago, djayz said:

It happens to me all the time, some of the staff seems to work on automatic.

On 11/20/2018 at 10:30 AM, owl sees all said:

My local Tesco shop only reluctantly will put an item in two bags.

A couple of weeks ago a check-out lady put over 4kg of drinks in just one bag. As I was lifting it off the counter, the carton made a hole in the plastic bag. Rendering it useless. She (check-out girl) then attempted to put the goods into a second bag,,, and you have guessed it; the bag split right across the bottom. The cartons of fruit drinks fell out but fortunately did not damage to the point where fluid leaked out.

Now, was this a one-off defective bag? I don't know because I now do my shopping at Big C. Their bags are green (environmentally more friendly),  and the check-out ladies seem more clued up on the stuff they actually put in the bags.

The downside to me now going to Big C is that the check-out ladies are not as lovely looking as at Tescos, but are more efficient.

I do moan though at Big C. It's that sometimes they mix refrigerated goods with non-refrigerated goods.

I think you have misunderstood "waging war on plastic".

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I think you have misunderstood "waging war on plastic".

You think so? Maybe you have a point!

So what I'm going to do is get plastic bags from all the big stores; Big C, Tescos, and 7-11. And!! Cut them thus, so that only one sheet is ready for the project. I'll then put them side by side into the elements. I might even get a bowl of salt water and dunk them, perhaps every couple of days, and put them back out on the fence.

I'm sure it will not be long before at least one deteriorates. I'm going to take note and I will report back, either on this thread or the other couple on 7-11, so all the posters can have the data at their disposal. I might even start a new thread when I get the results. 

Obviously, this will not happen overnight. But with some perseverance, I can start to understand the problems with these bags and help other posters also.

Edited by owl sees all
inserted a ','.

4 minutes ago, dcnx said:

Just about an hour ago I bought 5 bananas (each in its own bag) and they put them in another bag to give to me.

So that's six bags!? Wow!

This was 7-11, or a market stall?

So much for war on plastic bags eh.

Keep the TVForum members posted on this type of thing dcnx. In the future, these posts could be used as evidence.

On 11/20/2018 at 1:56 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Can we please stop using the word "war" for lots of things which have nothing to do with wars?

In wars people kill each other. Hopefully that won't happen because of plastic bags.

Somebody doesn't follow the news very much or deeply......the life in the oceans is dying from plastic pollution (whales, turtles, sea birds, etc.) and fish are ingesting micro-plastics at an ever increasing rate. People eat fish and ergo ingest micro-plastic....you are what you eat......and now scientists find that micro-plastics are great sponges for toxins of various kinds. It doesn't take a genius to work out what will be happening to humans before too long..... micro-plastics also turn up in most bottled water and are pretty much ubiquitous in the food cycle now.......so, yes, it is a "war" we need to wage against plastic, if we want to survive as a species. ????

• Like 1