Grab taxi - the answer to passengers' worries or just more trouble?

webfact

Grab taxi - the answer to passengers' worries or just more trouble?

5pm_VID.jpg

Picture: Sanook

People who think that firms like Grab mean an end to problems in taxis may have to think again. 

Sanook reported on a case of a woman who was ordered out of a Grab car after disagreements over the route. 

The woman filming in the back of the car didn't want the driver to use the expressway in Bangkok. 

She was proposing a route of her own. She wanted to go from Sukhumvit Soi 20 to Nonthaburi.

A fee of 200 had been stated on the app. 

The driver was complaining that the GPS was telling him the best way to go. 

She wanted him to cancel the fare and let her out but the conversation gets quite heated as the driver complains and she claims he doesn't know what to do. 

The passenger was worried that if he didn't cancel the fare she would still have her card charged the 200 baht. 

He counters that she won't have to pay.

Eventually the driver orders her out. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-11-20

I’m rather concerned about choosing what taxi to take now a days, I prefer no to take any taxis if I can avoid BUT I have an early morning flight to catch next week and apart from the traffic jams which is pretty much grid locked from the early hours of the day I have hardly any trust of these cowboys reckless taxis. As you can detect I’m very worried about missing my international flight from Don Muang airport, any reassurance and some tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated ???? Thank you all

Edited by Ramdas
Mispelled words

3 hours ago, ikwiljou said:

FULLY agree. Perfect system.

Yes Grab works fine and is quick. But it is not really cheap - I do not suspect a kind of double pricing scheme, though.

However there is one drawback: You cannot order them to any place since drivers expect troubles with Baht Bus operators or Taxi Drivers at some places and wont go there. Examples: Big C extra Pattaya and Central Festival Pattaya.

You then have to order them to come to the parking lot or outside the Hilton (for the examples above).

4 hours ago, Ramdas said:

I’m rather concerned about choosing what taxi to take now a days, I prefer no to take any taxis if I can avoid BUT I have an early morning flight to catch next week and apart from the traffic jams which is pretty much grid locked from the early hours of the day I have hardly any trust of these cowboys reckless taxis. As you can detect I’m very worried about missing my international flight from Don Muang airport, any reassurance and some tips from anyone would be greatly appreciated ???? Thank you all

What time is your flight? where are you coming from?

Obviously you've never used Grab.. Grab taxis are metered like any usual taxi, and the indicative price on the app is always the max expected fare, and usually 10-15% higher than what you pay per the meter + 20bht service fee.. Grab car on the other hand are a fixed price per the app and usually an unmarked private looking car.. I find their service is great.. No complaints WSE.. 

However I do have a gripe with their current app update on my 8.0.0 android phone.. Will not update, Uninstalled and reinstall but will not install.. Error - 505.. Sent messages through their customer service only to be told it is an android issue.. 

Has anyone else encountered this same problem?? Have to use my GF phone to request Grab now.. Not happy.. 

57 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

I don't get it, what is the problem exactly? It seems that every little personal story that gets a few clicks becomes news these days. I should remember to upload every time the waiter gets my order wrong or that time that the cashier didn't want to check out my bottle of olive oil at 3pm because of the alcohol ban.

Grab is not a metered taxi. You choose the destination, they quote you a price with the understanding that they take you there according to a defined route.

They didn't agree on the route, she wanted out, eventually she got out without paying, end of story. I suppose she could get a regular taxi which would have taken her any route she wanted, with meter running accordingly (perhaps), good luck with the fare.

This should have been attached to my previous reply.. 

My error.. ????

9 minutes ago, owenm said:

However I do have a gripe with their current app update on my 8.0.0 android phone.. Will not update, Uninstalled and reinstall but will not install.. Error - 505.. Sent messages through their customer service only to be told it is an android issue.. 

Works fine for me but I run Android 9

15 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

What time is your flight? where are you coming from?

Thanks for your consideration about my inquiry, I live in Bkk in Sukhumvit 50 where the BTS On Nut is and as I’ve mentioned previously, I need to catch an international flight at 10.45 from Don Muang.

I would love to be there at the very latest by 9.00ish just so I have some time to chill, check in etc..

What taxi should I go for ? Mind you some taxis will not want to go to Don  Muang and what about these Grab taxis ? Do I need to look on line and call them ( english language will be the first obstacle ) I don’t think you can just wave them whilst in the roads..So, would you have any reasonable suggestion ? Thank k you in advance ????

2 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

Thanks for your consideration about my inquiry, I live in Bkk in Sukhumvit 50 where the BTS On Nut is and as I’ve mentioned previously, I need to catch an international flight at 10.45 from Don Muang.

I would love to be there at the very latest by 9.00ish just so I have some time to chill, check in etc..

What taxi should I go for ? Mind you some taxis will not want to go to Don  Muang and what about these Grab taxis ? Do I need to look on line and call them ( english language will be the first obstacle ) I don’t think you can just wave them whilst in the roads..So, would you have any reasonable suggestion ? Thank k you in advance ????

Leave BTS on Nut  at 7:30 to Mo Chit and grab a cab from there. Cabs will go to the airport no problem. Should be about 125B. you will make it on time. Or take one of the LImo services

• Thanks 1

Guest Jerry787

few time ordering Grab, arrives the notice that the Taxi or car its arrived, and if i late of 5 minutes they will charge 20thb, i come down and the taxi was still far .... 

9 minutes ago, moogradod said:

And if you really want to be sure: Why dont you book a hotel for one night near the airport - then the next day you can proceed hassle-free as can be.

Brilliant! You can even have a nice Brekkie too! There is an Amari right there.!

• Like 1

Grab has annoyed the hell out of me. Problem in rush hour Bangkok is the buggers cancel on you, it takes you ages to get a Grab cab, you stand there watching the little taxi creeping slowly toward you, then when he's almost there he cancels; either didn't like the traffic ahead or most likely got a better option come up.

They all want you to give them 5 stars, but where's the option to give the guy who pulls the plug on you ZERO stars?!  Once they add that as an option I'll might start using Grab again.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Brilliant! You can even have a nice Brekkie too! There is an Amari right there.!

And here it is:

https://www.amari.com/donmuang/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=gmb&utm_campaign=adb

Seems to be quite cheap as well.

Last time we had to make this kind of 1 day airport hotel booking for Suvarnabhumi (having to leave at about 07:00 morning) we stayed at the Novotel there, more or less on the premises of the airport, but the Amari should be just opposite Don Mueang as well. Relax and enjoy.

• Like 1

I used Grab 2 weeks ago and the driver used the route from his GPS instead of using one faster that I know.

Sometime they do not know the building at destination and they prefer the GPS. I understand.

I did not make a fuss and paid the agreed fare. 

His lost, he could have saved 10 minutes on the road.

It was a comfortable car so I enjoyed the ride.

3 hours ago, arithai12 said:

I don't get it, what is the problem exactly? It seems that every little personal story that gets a few clicks becomes news these days. I should remember to upload every time the waiter gets my order wrong or that time that the cashier didn't want to check out my bottle of olive oil at 3pm because of the alcohol ban.

Grab is not a metered taxi. You choose the destination, they quote you a price with the understanding that they take you there according to a defined route.

They didn't agree on the route, she wanted out, eventually she got out without paying, end of story. I suppose she could get a regular taxi which would have taken her any route she wanted, with meter running accordingly (perhaps), good luck with the fare.

Exactly. It states "the Grab car...".

If it was a Grab car, it was a fixed fare regardless of traffic jams, etc.

The customer was out of line demanding her own route because the fare - as arithai12 states - is based on a defined route.

She shouldn't take a Grab car if she wants to make the route herself.

This whole article is a complete nonissue and the writer is clueless.

3 hours ago, JimmyJ said:

Exactly. It states "the Grab car...".

If it was a Grab car, it was a fixed fare regardless of traffic jams, etc.

The customer was out of line demanding her own route because the fare - as arithai12 states - is based on a defined route.

She shouldn't take a Grab car if she wants to make the route herself.

This whole article is a complete nonissue and the writer is clueless.

Drivers and I have changed routes but same fare. 

Grab service has got worse since UBER left the scene...

Last two Grabs I ordered had no seatbelts in the rear, I was unable to cancel the ride so had to take them.

One I didn’t care about, but the other I was with my son & insistent on a seatbelt for him, I couldn’t cancel the ride because the drive had ‘checked me in’, I couldn’t just take the hit and select arrived safely because I was still at my origin (GPS linked), the driver also couldn’t cancel - we were stuck in limbo & it took 30mins to resolve ! (driver was very polite & understanding). 

Only ever minor issues with UBER - one tailgating, some others couldn’t find my place (also an issue with Grab  - my place is simple to find & a main Soi off a Main Street !) 

still... all better than Taxis ! 

Just had to tell an AOT Limo not SMS on his phone while driving me to the airport !!!...

The general issues all reflect the general ‘couldn’t-give-a-flookness’ of all in this industry....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Grab service has got worse since UBER left the scene...

Last two Grabs I ordered had no seatbelts in the rear, I was unable to cancel the ride so had to take them.

One I didn’t care about, but the other I was with my son & insistent on a seatbelt for him, I couldn’t cancel the ride because the drive had ‘checked me in’, I couldn’t just take the hit and select arrived safely because I was still at my origin (GPS linked), the driver also couldn’t cancel - we were stuck in limbo & it took 30mins to resolve ! (driver was very polite & understanding). 

Only ever minor issues with UBER - one tailgating, some others couldn’t find my place (also an issue with Grab  - my place is simple to find & a main Soi off a Main Street !) 

still... all better than Taxis ! 

Just had to tell an AOT Limo not SMS on his phone while driving me to the airport !!!...

The general issues all reflect the general ‘couldn’t-give-a-flookness’ of all in this industry....

I had excellent clean cars with seatbelts in back for all my Grab rides.

There are no Grab except motorcycles in Da Lat, Vietnam.

The regular taxi at the airport had seatbelts in the back but neither I nor the driver could get them to function (I guess I'm the first person who cared?).

I would have walked to another cab, but he had me sit in the front passenger seat which I was OK with in this circumstance (we'd agreed on a flat rate much less than the meter charge would be) which did have a working seatbelt.

I hope you reported the 2 drivers to Grab for not having seatbelts and gave them the lowest rating, to help improve the service.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

Leave BTS on Nut  at 7:30 to Mo Chit and grab a cab from there. Cabs will go to the airport no problem. Should be about 125B. you will make it on time. Or take one of the LImo services

Much appreciated, it’s a good option ???????? Only the Bts is going to be jammed packed from the morning imagine with the luggage both me and my girlfriend but it shouldn’t take too long to Don Muang providing I managed to get a decent taxi driver ???? it gets busy from early morning traffic ????

I was at the Nonthaburi Pier a few weeks ago, doing some beers, and noticed a farang and his Thai lady sort of standing their kind of confused.  Too many busses to count, river ferries, tuk-tuks, Moto Sai, meter taxis...but since it can be a bit tricky to navigate, I asked if they knew how to go.  He responded..waiting for Grab...sums it up.  Most of the time, it is the hard way.  A meter or tuktuk to MRT LESS than 50, and I would have got them on the right bus for 6.5 each..nope.Grab.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1