Ministry launches campaign against drownings during Loy Krathong

snoop1130

Ministry launches campaign against drownings during Loy Krathong

By The Nation

404da16323ae789bd7439d7d0eae554a.jpeg

File photo

The number of deaths by drowning a day before, during and the day after Loy Krathong over the past decade (2008-2017) stood at 380 – 25 per cent or 94 cases of which were children under age 15, Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai, permanent secretary of the Public Health Ministry, said on Tuesday.

On Loy Krathong Day, the cumulative deaths by drowning over the past decade stood at 145, with 43 being children under 15. 

Hence, the ministry has instructed its agencies to raise public awareness about the risk of drowning during the festival.

Loy Krathong is traditionally marked across the nation by releasing flowery floats in rivers and other water sources as an apology to the River Goddess and to rid themselves of bad luck. 

Parents and guardians will be told to keep a close watch on children, so they do not get too near or bend too far over the edge of water to collect floats or coins placed in floats, which can lead to the child falling over, Sukhum said.

He added that alcohol was also often the cause of adult drowning. 

Health officials were also told to get ready to handle an increase in road accidents as well as injuries from fireworks, he said. 

Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai, director-general of the Department of Disease Control, has also urged parents to keep small children within sight and reach, and teach them to blow a whistle when they are in trouble. 

He has also told people to wear life jackets when on boats, and urged boat operators to adhere to safety rules and not overload their vessels. 

Loy Krathong event organisers have also been told to set clear points where the floats can be released, to set up warning signs and fences to stop children from falling into water and to keep equipment at hand to rescue victims.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30358950

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-20

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Just forbid them to put money on the float....what's the use of it when kids will go swimming to get the money back? Better give it directly to them..

Oh, you with your logic and the practical solutions.

Did you forget where you are?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

Just forbid them to put money on the float....what's the use of it when kids will go swimming to get the money back? Better give it directly to them..

Last time I attended Loy Kratong I felt like drowning the little Berkshire Hunts who ripped my kid's home made kratong apart seconds after it hit the water. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agreed.

In fact my Thai son and his Thai wife are qualified swimming teachers and swimming coaches and they are members of a team (organized by a national swimming authority) which does projects all over Thailand:

- In some locations (mainly because of the sheer number involved) they give kids 2 or 3 lessons on survival if you fall into the water.

- In some locations it continues with 3 or 4 proper structured lessons to learn to swim.

Sadly, lots of poor kids come and look but don't participate because they don't have a swimming costume or some other clothes that are presentable to attend lessons.

My son and his wife and others in the project continuously buy lots of cheap clothes that could be used to give to the kids free, but never anywhere near enough.

Is there a website or other means of contact to donate swimwear?

My Granddaughter seems to outgrow her cossies (mostly one-piece unisex stuff) every few months. Seems a shame not to get more use out of it.

53 minutes ago, Cheops said:

Please f.. off with your grammar!

People who correct grammar ????

Errr. That was spelling/word usage. Would you even know the difference, I have to wonder?

Please show some respect for the English language and fellow TVF users.

Edited by MaxYakov

17 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Is there a website or other means of contact to donate swimwear?

My Granddaughter seems to outgrow her cossies (mostly one-piece unisex stuff) every few months. Seems a shame not to get more use out of it.

Thanks, I'll ask my son.

11 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

Errr. That was spelling/word usage. Would you even know the difference, I have to wonder?

Please show some respect for the English language and fellow TVF users.

You get my respect if you and other grammar police officers respect non native English people here on the TVF.

If you only post to comment on other people's not entirely correct English posts and have nothing to contribute on topic, then please don't bother!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Thats not very nice.

I thought you were an English teacher here. :giggle:

Thank God I'm not an English teacher. I think you have seen some of my other posts, so you could know that I'm not native English and not a teacher.

Actually I can write decent, almost faultless English, but sometimes I'm a bit lazy. What I DON'T like is people who comment about other people's English grammar (or spelling) without contributing anything by themselves. Then I get annoyed and I will be less nice. I know it was not nice, but so was his post!

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, CALSinCM said:

A good start would be swimming lesson as part of the Thai educational curriculum. 

Lessons will start on the Monday of Loy Krathong week, nothing like getting a head start on the problem.

6 hours ago, Artisi said:

Anything else of importance on your list of trivia - and besides, it would seem that the acceptable spelling is countrywide?

Yes.  The www.dictionary.com site that I provided in my correction to Cheops indicates "or" for the two words. I was simply providing that info (aka trivia) for those that would/did not follow the link. ????

Here's another "trivia" item on the subject:

Man drowns trying to find coins in krathong floats (TVF Link)

Edited by MaxYakov