New Passport

Have a cancelled Australian passport with permission to stay and multiple re-entry permit valid till April.

Embassy stamped old passport as cancelled but visas inside still valid. Was told no need to get stamps

transferred but to carry both passports upon leaving/entering Thailand.

Anyone with similar experience?

Do you have

1. a 1 year extension of stay issued by your local immigration and a re-entry permit,
  2. a Multiple Entry Visa issued by an embassy/consulate.

If (1.) you need to go to immigration and to get your extension stamp and visa info transferred

If (2). you don't need to transfer anything; just carry both passports until the visa expires.

8 hours ago, Mickey Mouse said:

Was told no need to get stamps

transferred but to carry both passports upon leaving/entering Thailand.

Who told you that? I suspect they thought you had a multiple entry visa to use.

If you have an extension of stay issued by immigration you should get the stamps transferred. At most immigration offices it does not take long and is easy to get done.

Until that is done you need to have both passports available to show if needed since your new passport does not have any permit to stay in Thailand in it and your old one with your permit stay in it.

If you have a valid multiple entry visa you show both passport the first time you leave the country and then both passport to use your visa in the old one for entry. After your first entry with the new passport it has your valid permit to stay in it and you only need to show your old passport when you enter the country.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Who told you that? I suspect they thought you had a multiple entry visa to use.

If you have an extension of stay issued by immigration you should get the stamps transferred. At most immigration offices it does not take long and is easy to get done.

Until that is done you need to have both passports available to show if needed since your new passport does not have any permit to stay in Thailand in it and your old one with your permit stay in it.

If you have a valid multiple entry visa you show both passport the first time you leave the country and then both passport to use your visa in the old one for entry. After your first entry with the new passport it has your valid permit to stay in it and you only need to show your old passport when you enter the country.

was just about to ask the same question, I just got my 2 month extension on my non-o and am now about to get a new passport, would I need to go to immigration? or is it just ok to go to the border when its time and show both passports?

40 minutes ago, jimmjam said:

was just about to ask the same question, I just got my 2 month extension on my non-o and am now about to get a new passport, would I need to go to immigration? or is it just ok to go to the border when its time and show both passports?

You can do it when you leave the country if you want to. It is your choice.

Some border crossing can make it difficult when leaving the country with a new passport since they don't like having to deal with the stamp transfer. If there is a nearby immigration office many will turn you away and tell you to go to the office to have it done.

• Like 1