Cash required to bring to Thailand

I was stopped while checking in yesterday in Vientiane. The woman (Bangkok Airways) said that my return is on 1st of December. I said correct and she asked me to show that I have cash to spend in Thailand. I showed 2,000 baht in my wallet and 200 euros from my carry on. She said it is not enough, because they might ask in Thai immigration. I showed my credit cards and my Thai bank account. Cannot accept, she said. Okay, I asked how much I need for two nights. I explained that I will continue my trip on 22nd to third country. I think they asked all as the lines were very long. So the question is, in case this happens again, what is the amount you need to show per day?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, samii said:

So the question is, in case this happens again, what is the amount you need to show per day?

I assume they are concerned that immigration will deny you entry for not having the financial proof needed.

For a visa exempt entry it is the equivalent of 10k baht in cash. For a visa entry it is the equivalent of 20k baht in cash. It can be in any exchangeable currency or baht.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

I assume they are concerned that immigration will deny you entry for not having the financial proof needed.

For a visa exempt entry it is the equivalent of 10k baht in cash. For a visa entry it is the equivalent of 20k baht in cash. It can be in any exchangeable currency or baht.

What if you have an NON-O ('marriage visa'), do you need to have any cash on you? I have never been asked during my VE or my current NON-O when entering the country by air at Swampy.

26 minutes ago, somtumwrong said:

What if you have an NON-O ('marriage visa'), do you need to have any cash on you? I have never been asked during my VE or my current NON-O when entering the country by air at Swampy.

The chances of being asked to show it are small but they could ask for it.

Most reports of it being asked for is when a person has many tourist visa and/or visa exempt entries,

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, somtumwrong said:

According to the published rules, even if entering with a Non O visa, immigration can ask to see 20,000 baht equivalent in cash (or travellers' checks). In practice, this rarely happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

According to the published rules, even if entering with a Non O visa, immigration can ask to see 20,000 baht equivalent in cash (or travellers' checks). In practice, this rarely happens.

Thanks. Maybe we should open a competition for the first Non-O to be asked to show the money ????

I've just had a count up. 33 countries over a period of 50 years, many of them multiple visits and not once has anyone asked me to prove that I had enough money on me.

You had to be pretty unfortunate O/P. How's your dress sense?  ????

ML

I've just had a count up. 33 countries over a period of 50 years, many of them multiple visits and not once has anyone asked me to prove that I had enough money on me.

You had to be pretty unfortunate O/P. How's your dress sense?  [emoji6]

ML

It is normal, shirt and straight pants. Note that all passengers (except Thais) were asked the same

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

It's actually good they are asking this pre-check-in now.  People will not expect this 1970s way of pretending to verify people's traveling-funds, so this could save many people's day.

6 hours ago, somtumwrong said:

Thanks. Maybe we should open a competition for the first Non-O to be asked to show the money ????

Already taken - guy entering via Malaysian border with Non-O based on marriage.  This was just after the IOs there were busted for their "cash in passport" scam by higher-ups (they weren't sharing the loot, evidently).  The foreigner had to send his Thai wife in to gather enough cash from an ATM to cover him and his elderly parents, who had traveled with them on a side-trip to Malaysia. 

I have not heard of this being done again since.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 1:40 PM, ubonjoe said:

The chances of being asked to show it are small but they could ask for it.

Most reports of it being asked for is when a person has many tourist visa and/or visa exempt entries,

I've only been asked for it once at border crossing at PadangBasar. One is required to have 20,000Baht or equivalent or 20,000 Baht in a Thai Bank when entering the Kingdom Of Thailand.

I keep 20,00 Baht in a Thai Bank for this purpose. The pass book is updated the day I depart from T/Land. I also get a Bank letter confirming the amount. I have written on the statement "No money can be withdrawn from the Acc outside of Thailand" in Thai language. fee 100Bhat

Edited by Percy P

27 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I've only been asked for it once at border crossing at PadangBasar. One is required to have 20,000Baht or equivalent or 20,000 Baht in a Thai Bank when entering the Kingdom Of Thailand.

I keep 20,00 Baht in a Thai Bank for this purpose. The pass book is updated the day I depart from T/Land. I also get a Bank letter confirming the amount. I have written on the statement "No money can be withdrawn from the Acc outside of Thailand" in Thai language. fee 100Bhat

Money "in the bank" is not helpful for this.  Many have been refused-entry with proof of money in the bank.  Only cash or travelers checks are accepted.  I recall reading twice how Sadao was busted for using the "100/200 baht in the passport instead is ok" routine, to coerce bribes, but the first I've heard of this being done (for bribes) at Pedang Besar.

52 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Why don't you just carry the B20K-- it's only USD 607, EUR 533 or GBP 475--rather than running around updating pass books the day you fly and having the possibility they will tell you what the OP says, " . . . I showed my credit cards and my Thai bank account. Cannot accept, she said . . ."  According to ubonjoe, post #4, they require cash, he says, "For a visa exempt entry it is the equivalent of 10k baht in cash. For a visa entry it is the equivalent of 20k baht in cash. It can be in any exchangeable currency or baht."

Cash seems to be the key. 

1 hour ago, Percy P said:

i was also asked last year to show 20,000THB by Immi supervisor lady at Padang Besar where cars passing the border. Had the amount with me, after a couple of questions IO stamped my pasport. At train immi at P.Besar never had any problems.

• Like 1