Thai trafficking victim tells Minnesota jury she had to treat sex buyers like 'my personal god'

webfact

Thai trafficking victim tells Minnesota jury she had to treat sex buyers like 'my personal god'

Five are standing trial in St. Paul in sprawling international sex trafficking case. 

By Stephen Montemayor 

Star Tribune

ows_154275817814411.jpg

STAR TRIBUNE FILE

In 2017, Gregory Brooker, who was acting U.S. attorney, announced a second wave of indictments in what was described as the largest sex trafficking conspiracy charged in the U.S.

Work began at 8 a.m., the young Thai woman testified, and often didn’t end until 10 p.m. when she finished having sex with the last of as many as 10 men responding each day to the scantily clad photos in ads her bosses posted online.

“I had to do everything that the women at their house couldn’t give them,” she tearfully told a federal jury in St. Paul on Tuesday. “I had to treat them as if they were my personal god, and I loved them the most within the time that was given. I had to make them feel that they were special.

Referred to by her nickname, Amy, the young woman spoke through an interpreter as she described falling prey to a sweeping and lucrative organization that trafficked hundreds of Thai women to the United States to be sold for sex. 

Full story: http://www.startribune.com/thai-trafficking-victim-tells-minnesota-jury-she-had-to-treat-sex-buyers-like-my-personal-god/500965131/

-- Star Tribune 2018-11-21