Trump says U.S. in 'very strong' negotiations in Afghanistan

webfact

Trump says U.S. in 'very strong' negotiations in Afghanistan

By Roberta Rampton

2018-11-22T160624Z_1_LYNXNPEEAL10Y_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. President Donald Trump speaks via video teleconference with troops from Mar-a-Lago estate in Palm Beach, Florida, U.S., November 22, 2018. REUTERS/Eric Thayer

PALM BEACH, Fla. (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday the United States was "in very strong" peace negotiations in Afghanistan but he did not known whether they would be successful.

"I really think the people of Afghanistan ... are tired of fighting," Trump told reporters after delivering a Thanksgiving holiday message to U.S. troops in Afghanistan, scene of one of America's longest-ever wars.

"We are talking about peace and we'll see if that happens ... We have negotiations going on. I don't know that they are going to be successful, probably they're not. Who knows? They might be, they might not be."

Trump was speaking after Taliban leaders met with U.S. special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad at their political headquarters in Qatar last week for the second time in the past month.

Khalilzad said on Sunday he hoped to reach a peace deal by April 20, a deadline that coincides with the date set for presidential elections in Afghanistan.

However, the Taliban said their three-day meeting with Khalilzad to pave the way for peace talks ended with no agreement on any issue and they had not accepted any deadline set by the United States to wrap up talks.

Khalilzad's public statement that the Taliban believe they will "not win militarily" apparently angered senior members of the group, who warned U.S. officials against mixed messages that could muddle the peace process.

U.S. troops invaded Afghanistan in 2001 as part of a campaign to topple the Taliban following the Sept. 11 attacks in the United States. Some 14,000 U.S. personnel are still there.

The Taliban have strengthened their grip over the past three years, with the government in Kabul controlling just 56 percent of Afghanistan, down from 72 percent in 2015, a U.S. government report showed this month.

Two senior U.S. officials confirmed this week that a second round of peace talks ended last week and the Taliban expected Khalilzad to visit Qatar for a meeting before the end of 2018.

Trump hinted he may go to Afghanistan, a country he has yet to visit almost two years into his presidency, even though previous U.S. commanders-in-chief have routinely visited troops in active war zones.

Trump told troops in the teleconference that while they were fighting, he was taking tough action to secure the southern borders of the United States from illegal immigration.

"You are doing it over there; we are doing it over here," he said.

"We have a very powerful border now ... We took old broken wall and we wrapped it with barbed wire plus ... nobody is getting through these walls and we're going to make sure they're the right people because that's what you and your family want," he said.

"That's why we're all fighting – you know, we're fighting for borders, we're fighting for our country."

(Reporting by David Brunnstrom and Roberta Rampton; Editing by Jeffrey Benkoe and Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-23
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

the Taliban said their three-day meeting with Khalilzad to pave the way for peace talks ended with no agreement on any issue and they had not accepted any deadline set by the United States to wrap up talks.

Do they have a North Korean advisor?

Negotiations sound very familiar.

Maybe Trump will offer a Taliban Summit Meeting?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, grumbleweed said:

So getting your rear ends kicked is strong negotiations. 

17 years and they still haven't managed to overcome a bunch of goat herders

Lol... now we just need to wait awhile, until donal comes out and says exactly this, whilst perhaps blaming another war hero for failing to overcome a bunch of goat herders ????????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

I’m assuming that this is a blatant troll... because it’s the only explaination for such a load of rubbish

Your having no understanding of a topic is clearly causing frustration. How about remaining calm and respectful and offering your ideas for a peaceful solution. I am entitled to my opinion, and just because it may differ to your own, is no reason or excuse to make flame posts. My post offers a solution which will offer relative peace(how they would behave would be horrific for westerners, but in accordance with their religious book). 

The standard "might is right" response to foreign nations is normally disastrous. Just look at Libya, Iraq and others. Time to start understanding the root cause of trouble. I identified that root in my post. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Your having no understanding of a topic is clearly causing frustration. How about remaining calm and respectful and offering your ideas for a peaceful solution. I am entitled to my opinion, and just because it may differ to your own, is no reason or excuse to make flame posts. My post offers a solution which will offer relative peace(how they would behave would be horrific for westerners, but in accordance with their religious book). 

The standard "might is right" response to foreign nations is normally disastrous. Just look at Libya, Iraq and others. Time to start understanding the root cause of trouble. I identified that root in my post. Thank you.

Wow... you were serious... you have my unreserved apologies.

that said... I’m thinking your post demonstrates that it’s you who have no understanding of this topic... actually... no understanding of a whole truck load of things, as your post is the most preposterous post I’ve ever seen on this forum... a forum I’ve been reading for ten years!

you identified the root cause, or so you claim.... can you elaborate on this assertion?

And.... offering a solution... ????????????????.... wake up, Freddy Kruger is coming!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 hours ago, webfact said:

"We are talking about peace and we'll see if that happens ... We have negotiations going on. I don't know that they are going to be successful, probably they're not. Who knows? They might be, they might not be."

True Trump speak. Wishy washy, maybe yes, maybe no. We'll see.

Never got the Nobel prize for N K. Never will. Won't get one here either.

But the Taliban ....... "they are really good guys, really good".

If previous presidents, who listened to their generals, couldn't end the war, how can anybody expect this one to ?

• Like 2

Trump is lying once again. If there is one thing you can be absolutely sure about, it is that when he opens his mouth, a lie is going to come pouring out. The man has no relationship with truth. The Taliban has been gaining ground steadily in Afghanistan for years now. We are at the lowest point we have been, since we started this sad war, over 15 years ago. Everything the government and Trump tells us about this war is a lie. Everything.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/09/08/world/asia/us-misleads-on-afghanistan.html

What US government says:   The Taliban controls 44% of nationwide districts.                                                               What military analysts say: The Taliban controls 61% of nationwide districts. 

The yellow areas indicate Taliban controlled areas. And that number is going up each month. It is a failed operation.                                                                                     

taliban-2018-09-12-Artboard_1_copy_2.png

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Trump is lying once again. If there is one thing you can be absolutely sure about, it is that when he opens his mouth, a lie is going to come pouring out. The man has no relationship with truth. The Taliban has been gaining ground steadily in Afghanistan for years now. We are at the lowest point we have been, since we started this sad war, over 15 years ago. Everything the government and Trump tells us about this war is a lie. Everything.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/09/08/world/asia/us-misleads-on-afghanistan.html

What US government says:   The Taliban controls 44% of nationwide districts.                                                               What military analysts say: The Taliban controls 61% of nationwide districts. 

The yellow areas indicate Taliban controlled areas. And that number is going up each month. It is a failed operation.                                                                                     

taliban-2018-09-12-Artboard_1_copy_2.png

What "lie" did Trump tell ?

Just quote the "lie"

8 hours ago, Lungstib said:

Years of live fire experience, a training that few soldiers ever get and no fear of death due to religious fervour. Who in their right minds want to fight people like this? If they are happy to stay in that harsh mountain environment and leave me alone I am only too willing to let them be.

An honest question: Why ARE we still there, exactly? What is the goal of the mission? Is there any reason we can't just leave them to it?

OK, that was three questions. But I would be interested in your answers...

• Like 2