• Topics

• Latest posts...

1. 626

Harris Lies, Americans Die. Illegal Aliens are more Important

2. 305

Israel Hamas War the Widening Middle East Conflict

3. 2,664

Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

4. 10

Video: SpaceX rocket booster successfully lands in Texas after test launch

5. 1,070

Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

6. 0

Passenger Van Crashes into 18-Wheeler Truck, Passengers Injured

7. 8

Thailand Live Monday 14 October 2024

8. 305

9. 0

Over 200 Vehicles Damaged After Municipality Resurfaces Road Without Warning Signs

10. 8

11. 305

12. 0

Newborn Survives After Being Abandoned in Long Grass: Phetchabun

13. 305

14. 8

Tensions rise at U.S.-Mexico border as migrants, holiday travellers wait to cross

webfact

Tensions rise at U.S.-Mexico border as migrants, holiday travellers wait to cross

By Lizbeth Diaz

2018-11-23T005637Z_1_LYNXNPEEAM00Q_RTROPTP_4_USA-IMMIGRATION-CARAVAN.JPG

Migrants, part of a caravan of thousands traveling from Central America en route to the United States, sit and lie on the ground near the El Chaparral port of entry of border crossing between Mexico and the United States in Tijuana, Mexico November 22, 2018. REUTERS/Kim Kyung-Hoon

TIJUANA (Reuters) - Hundreds of Central American migrants in Mexico massed on Thursday around a tense U.S. border crossing, where security measures held up long lines of Mexicans headed to Thanksgiving gatherings on the other side of the frontier.

With few belongings, and many of them with children in tow, the migrants set out for the crossing from the baseball field in the Mexican border city of Tijuana where they have been camped out. Around 6,000 migrants who have trekked across Mexico in a caravan in recent weeks are now crammed into the field.

They arrived at the Chaparral border crossing, opposite San Diego, California, and said they would wait there until they could request asylum, in spite of growing U.S. measures to tighten the border.

"We are already desperate, last night it rained and we all got wet. There is no room left. We are all sick. My children have a cold ... and nobody has come to give us help," said David, a Honduran who only provided his first name.

Earlier on Thursday, U.S. President Donald Trump said he had authorized the use of lethal force on the border and warned that the United States could close the whole frontier.

The San Ysidro vehicular crossing into San Diego, one of the busiest in the world, was briefly shuttered in the afternoon by U.S. officials as they performed a security exercise.

Tens of thousands of Mexicans enter the United States daily to work or study, and many were trying to get to Thanksgiving celebrations. Mariana del Campo, a retired professor, had hoped to make it across before the closing, but was stuck in the line.

"What's happening on the border is maddening," she said as she waited in her car. "I don't know how long we can put up with this. Someone is going to get tired or explode."

Also stuck in her car waiting to cross for Thanksgiving was 54-year-old Aurora Diaz, who said her U.S.-based daughter was reluctant to visit Mexico in case Trump closed the border.

U.S. OR BUST

Tensions were palpable at the pedestrian crossing where the Central Americans had gathered. Mexican police and soldiers stood guard while a helicopter buzzed over the U.S side.

Edgar Corzo, an official from Mexico's human rights commission, spoke into a megaphone to the crowd, telling them they could request assistance in Mexico.

But migrants arrived with blankets and prepared to bed down for the night outside the border station. Some of the children cried and complained of the cold.

Authorities in Tijuana said the migrants are facing up to a six-month wait to be able to get an appointment to plead their case for asylum with U.S. authorities.

Earlier this week, U.S. officials briefly closed the main border crossing in Tijuana, putting up concrete barricades and razor wire after reports that migrants could try to rush the crossing.

"I want President Trump to know that we're peaceful people, we don't have weapons, we haven't come to do evil," said a man who declined to give his name, holding a white flag on a wooden stick that read "Peace, God is with us." "We want to work, we want them to help us for the love of God," he added.

(Reporting by Lizbeth Diaz, Writing by Michael O'Boyle, Editing by Rosalba O'Brien)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-23

7 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Indeed... but... the US has already determined laws/ guidelines/ rules on how it controls its borders, and it seems trumpist want to act contrary to these laws.... as in break the laws of their homeland.

Which laws are you referring too ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Which laws are you referring too ?

The ones currently in place, vs “as it sees fit”, which implies it’s a changeable thing. ( yes.. I know it can be changed, but that too, is a process, vs arbitrarily)

these laws, which you ask about, are those which have been used to smack down trumps attempt to change immigration policy.

Edited by farcanell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, farcanell said:

The ones currently in place, vs “as it sees fit”, which implies it’s a changeable thing. ( yes.. I know it can be changed, but that too, is a process, vs arbitrarily)

these laws, which you ask about, are those which have been used to smack down trumps attempt to change immigration policy.

Yes, but what are those laws that you are referring too ?

Could you post them here ?

42 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Yes, but what are those laws that you are referring too ?

Could you post them here ?

Q1/...They are the existing body of law, which is already established, thereby denying an “as it sees fit” option.

Q2/....if your really desperate, google “US immigration law”.... you’ll find what you need... you’ll find the totality used to strike down trumps attempt to arbitrate as he sees fit.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, farcanell said:

Q1/...They are the existing body of law, which is already established, thereby denying an “as it sees fit” option.

Q2/....if your really desperate, google “US immigration law”.... you’ll find what you need... you’ll find the totality used to strike down trumps attempt to arbitrate as he sees fit.

Could you please post the law that you are referring too ?

(I have requested you do do so three times now , and still you havent done done so and I dont feel that I should be the one to read the whole U.S immigration law to find out what you mean, just post the specific law that you are talking about )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

(I have requested you do do so three times now , and still you havent done done so and I dont feel that I should be the one to read the whole U.S immigration law to find out what you mean, just post the specific law that you are talking about )

https://www.uscis.gov/ilink/docView/SLB/HTML/SLB/0-0-0-1/0-0-0-29/0-0-0-1687.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, sanemax said:

The only problem with your request is that I am talking about the entire body of the existing law... per my initial assertion that the law is set, and not open to an “as they see fit” determination, without first amending the existing law.

the US courts are the ones to arbitrate on this matter, and in doing so, have struck down trumps attempts to act outside of the existing body of law.... which has been demonstrated, and which you can find yourself, if needing specifics.

again... “as they see fit”... is not a part of the process, and this s what I was commenting on, vs specific clauses in any chapter or verse.

if you really really want me to point at chapter and verse, please provide me with a better explaination of “as they see fit”... and I will read the law, and point you at chapter and verse... although I can’t understand why this would be nessesarily, as only an autocrat can get away with arbitrarily acting as they see fit... and whilst I accept that this seems to be trumps want, it’s not yet a done deal.... he hasn’t gone full on Hitler, and had himself appointed dictator.... yet

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

Indeed... but... the US has already determined laws/ guidelines/ rules on how it controls its borders, and it seems trumpist want to act contrary to these laws.... as in break the laws of their homeland.

8 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What are the laws which the U.S is breaking ?

Ah... I see the cause of your confusion.... lack of reading comprehension.

my comment above is “..its seems trumpists want to act contrary to these laws...”, with clarification being that acting contrary to the laws, would be acting in defiance of the law, or breaking the law

These laws... are the existing laws, and again, not subject to an as see fit interpretation, which yet again, was the point I was making, vs citing a specific law

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, sanemax said:

What are the laws which the U.S is breaking ?

aren't we about tired of this guy's GAME...... He Don't want to work to learn them.... he wants to ask you to do the work for him...

IE... (his post)... "

He is just 'trolling'.... for argument........

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

#1the migrants travel in convoy to protect themselves from rape robbery murder.#2by us law they can apply for asylum.#3 trump is trying to whip up divison and fear to strong arm the law #4 trump is attic king judges that up hold the laws we have #4 trump is a wannabe dictator just like his buddy’s Kim putin Durante and all the rest love America as she is love her flaws and all if we need change let’s do it legal not by force or dictate

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bristolboy said:

The thing is that a judge shot down Trump's order. So, presumably, there was a law behind the ruling. 

Trump has been shot down a few times but he keeps finding open doors........ Including the blocking of 'Muslims' entering.... But some of it is working and especially the 'muslims'......... after seeing the 'no go zones' in europe, I hope we don't get more 'muslims' here..........

He wins a few and loses a few......... But I'm all for 'controlled immigration'............. after witnessing what other countries are suffering..... With their 'total open-door' policies......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, sawadeeken said:

Talk about 'Thai bashers'........ No there is a stack, higher than a stack of 'Pringles'...  who appear to be 'USA bashers' ---LIKE THIS REPLY.....

Sorry it wasn't in the cards for you to be born American.... BUT I WAS born American and I am Proud to be American --- Been to 89 countries of this world on every continent, and I wouldn't give up my USA rights for any of the other countries 9Include likely Your country).....

I AM NOT a Trump lover, I didn't vote for him..... BUT as you may have noticed, 'There just ain't no 10's' But by the same theory 'There just ain't no 0's' --- Trump may come close in my book but he has done a couple things I appreciate.... This border thing is one......... 

I am married to a Thai living in the USA..She applied for her citizenship as soon as she could and got it about 15 years ago.. Immediately she petitioned for her sister and Thai husband to immigrate... Immigrating the proper way took them just under 13 years, but they did it the proper way..... And as good workers they in 2+ years have paidoff all their loans and car and now built up over a million Baht in the bank......

That is what these 'border crashers are wanting' but they aren't doing it the proper way and should not be allowed to set a bad example to start a 'stampede'....... Think about it for a while instead of just running your mouth on the spur of the moment.........

Ditto!!!

• Thanks 1