I want a hot sandwich at BK's and McD's in Thailand. Am I a jerk?

ThaiRebound

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, ThaiRebound said:

That manager has a family, tunnel rat.

Maybe he/she shouldn't have made up their own rules while Franchising, to fish more money from departing passengers but there is no evidence my letter had anything to do with his/her leaving the position. In any event, So Nam Nah

On 11/26/2018 at 9:00 PM, OneEyedPie said:

They're square. What's that all about?

Could be Wendy's, they came out with the answer to the boring round hamburgers.  They also coined the Double, Triple and Quadruple burgers, a full 1/2 kg of beef between two buns.........too bad they didn;t seeve beer back when I was living in the USA.

On 11/26/2018 at 5:26 PM, FritsSikkink said:
On 11/26/2018 at 8:39 AM, marcusarelus said:

Is poor quality the reason they are the largest restaurant chain in the world? 

No, they have a great marketing team and most people who eat there don't have a clue what they are actually eating.

Recalling the early '60s when a road trip across the USA meant eating dodgy food at greasy spoons where you never knew if you were going to get a decent meal or slop, I still have a warm spot in my heart for Mickey D's. 

They, along with HoJo's (remember fried clams?), opened the American road to the less than adventurous, like my family.   Their claim to fame was consistent quality.  Not gourmet, but consistent.  And they set the bar and provided the business model for every hospitality chain that followed- motels and restaurants.  Some chains far exceeded the quality of those trail blazers, albeit it often at a much higher price point.  

You know what you'll be eating, and that the price will be reasonable.  That's a welcome respite in areas where your last 20 meals may have consisted of something fermented, served on a bowl of stale rice, often at a price that didn't reflect the poor quality of the food.

1 hour ago, ThaiRebound said:
4 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Maybe he/she shouldn't have made up their own rules while Franchising, to fish more money from departing passengers 

Yeah, but it's that kind of typically high-brow Thai thinking which made Thailand the economic crown jewel of SE Asia

Research the lease agreement, pricing, and terms for concessions at the airports you're talking about, then come back when you can tell us who's at fault for the high cost of airport food.  Even fast food...  It's not uncommon for the airports to be taking a huge percentage off the revenue line before the concessionaires see a baht.

I had a Whobster with Cheese Saturday at the BK near Sala Daeng, and it was hot, juicy and flavourful with a fresh, fluffy Bun and the correct amount of drippy sauce. I bussed my own

tray too.

I had a Whobster with Cheese Saturday at the BK near Sala Daeng, and it was hot, juicy and flavourful with a fresh, fluffy Bun and the correct amount of drippy sauce. I bussed my own

tray too.

Did you get those coupons? We did and tried that coffee with ice on top...very nice! try it.

Did you get those coupons? We did and tried that coffee with ice on top...very nice! try it.

Coupons? What did I miss?

Ive had my dose of flame broiled for a few weeks though

Americans will eat garbage provided you cover it liberally with ketchup.

So will 3/4 of the world, just substitute the sauce of choice in that venue, the other 1/4 would eat it without the sauce.. Whats the point?

Not all heros wear capes... ???? 

Well its like courtesy to my fellow diners, when the place is packed and the staff is hopping, it sucks to sit down to a table where the last guys tray is there all spewed on with chewed on burger scraps and drool and suchlike....sometimes the staff is too busy to clean up after folks as soon as they get up.....

So will 3/4 of the world, just substitute the sauce of choice in that venue, the other 1/4 would eat it without the sauce.. Whats the point?

My point is that fast food while comforting - is a novelty, and basically garbage food.  Not realistic to think they will adhere to the strict guidelines of preparation here in thailand that they have in the USA

23 hours ago, RicUSA said:

My point is that fast food while comforting - is a novelty, and basically garbage food.  Not realistic to think they will adhere to the strict guidelines of preparation here in thailand that they have in the USA

You have made the claim that MacDonald's serves garbage food and does not adhere to the strict guidelines of preparation that are mandated by MacDonald's International.  I believe you may run afoul of Thai defamation laws by which both public and/or private prosecution options are available.  For your welfare and all of our edification I suggest posting some verification of your claims. 

On 12/3/2018 at 6:21 AM, RicUSA said:

Americans will eat garbage provided you cover it liberally with ketchup.

Posted from a country where you get packets of ketchup with your pizza...

BTW, the only legitimate purpose of ketchup is french fries.  Putting it on anything else is an abomination.  The one exception is using ketchup as the base for a home-made barbecue sauce, and only in a location where nothing else is handy.

On Monday, December 03, 2018 at 7:51 PM, RicUSA said:

Hi Ric, Please read my earlier post, ie #21. Nothing seppophobic just a first hand experience. 

Wendys up US1 wasn't much better either, I'm sure one of the "larger" chefs sat on it before it reached the pick-up counter!!

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Posted from a country where you get packets of ketchup with your pizza...

BTW, the only legitimate purpose of ketchup is french fries.  Putting it on anything else is an abomination.  The one exception is using ketchup as the base for a home-made barbecue sauce, and only in a location where nothing else is handy.

Really? Thin sliced rare Roast beef heaped on Deli Rye with a light spread of mayo, ketchup, horseradish and a slice or two of Vidalia or Bermuda onion.

Dont be a Philistine.

PS. I like the packages of ketchup with pizza. Dont have to buy it in the store then.

9 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Really? Thin sliced rare Roast beef heaped on Deli Rye with a light spread of mayo, ketchup, horseradish and a slice or two of Vidalia or Bermuda onion.

Dont be a Philistine.

PS. I like the packages of ketchup with pizza. Dont have to buy it in the store then.

Right. Mind made up for today’s lunch, an N’Joy cheeseburger; excellent. 

Knowing my luck they’ll be shut today being the 5th 

14 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Right. Mind made up for today’s lunch, an N’Joy cheeseburger; excellent. 

Knowing my luck they’ll be shut today being the 5th 

The one in Ubon? Someone told me to check them out when I head up there.

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I had amassed a big 4 liter container full of them when I left Thailand because I certainly wasn't going to use them on the pizzas they came with.  Since french fries were almost always cold by the time I could get them home, I rarely ever had fries at the house to use them on.  So the little packets of Scoozi pizza ketchup just stacked up in my pantry, in spite of taking bags and bags to the office where I left them in the lunch room for others.

I did come up with a recipe for home-made BBQ sauce that was better than anything I could find in the local stores, but the labor to empty those little packets just wasn't worth it when Thai ketchup cost less than $1 for a half liter bottle.

13 minutes ago, impulse said:

I had amassed a big 4 liter container full of them when I left Thailand because I certainly wasn't going to use them on the pizzas they came with.  Since french fries were almost always cold by the time I could get them home, I rarely ever had fries at the house to use them on.  So the little packets of Scoozi pizza ketchup just stacked up in my pantry, in spite of taking bags and bags to the office where I left them in the lunch room for others.

I did come up with a recipe for home-made BBQ sauce that was better than anything I could find in the local stores, but the labor to empty those little packets just wasn't worth it when Thai ketchup cost less than $1 for a half liter bottle.

I dont use that much ketchup, not do I eat a lot of Scoozi (the pizza is Meh, the pasta is good) so I just saved $1

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

The one in Ubon? Someone told me to check them out when I head up there.

Yes the N’joy in Ubon. Patties are peppery and “homemade”, buns toasted, fries - well, they never last the 20 minute trip home when taking-out for the kids!!!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Yes the N’joy in Ubon. Patties are peppery and “homemade”, buns toasted, fries - well, they never last the 20 minute trip home when taking-out for the kids!!!!!!!!!

I was talking to a dude while we got off the express boat at Marine who used to teach up there, he said its the best burger he has had in Thailand.

22 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I was talking to a dude while we got off the express boat at Marine who used to teach up there, he said its the best burger he has had in Thailand.

The burgers are great but I'm afraid, Nyezhov, I am Arsenal ........!!!

On 11/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, OneEyedPie said:

Had a cheeky KFC today and the amount of salt coating the chicken was something I've not experienced in a long time.  The size of the portion of fries was also ridiculously small. 

Won't be visiting again.

So you probably get something that cost 85-100baht

and now having a pop about the portion of french fries?

its $3-4....

$3-4 for most of the set have chicken, fries and drink!!!!

at that price surely you can buy a side serve if you dont think its enough.

wow, bring a Charlie to Thailand and watch him get even cheaper.

amazing!

On 11/26/2018 at 8:14 PM, OneEyedPie said:

Had a cheeky KFC today and the amount of salt coating the chicken was something I've not experienced in a long time.  The size of the portion of fries was also ridiculously small. 

Won't be visiting again.

So you probably get something that cost 85-100baht

and now having a pop about the portion of french fries?

its $3-4....

$3-4 for most of the set have chicken, fries and drink!!!!

at that price surely you can buy a side serve if you dont think its enough.

wow, bring a Charlie to Thailand and watch him get even cheaper.

amazing!

Archived