I want a hot sandwich at BK's and McD's in Thailand. Am I a jerk?

ThaiRebound

Last month I was in Bangkok and ate at the McD's in the new mall across from Tesco OnNut. I had the Angus beef burger set with the free soda refills.  Never being a connoisseur of mayonnaise or mustard on a burger, I ordered mine without sauce. The cook prepared mine to order and I will say that it was hot and delicious. The secret to getting fresh, hot fast food is to special order. For hot fries tell them no salt, then salt them yourself. 

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: After a 2 month hiatus from BK, I decided to roll the dice again. The manager was new, the staff looked completely new as well. This time when I asked for a "new" burger, the manager took the order seriously. Of the dozen or so times I had been there in the past, this was the best of all. I am glad I saved my first time to wai anyone in Thailand for something special like this. 

When I was 16 I worked at a McDonalds in the US. They had very strict standards about how long a sandwich of any type can sit without being sold. It's 4-6 minutes as I recall. That being said, this ain't the US. If you want something out of the ordinary here, such as a HOT sandwich, ask them to make you a special order sandwich. Customize it with no pickles, extra ketchup, or something of the like. They will grill it up for you and smile. As for fries, if you want them hot, as for NO SALT fries. Those must be made separate also. Make an ass of yourself, it's the Farang thing to do. And if they don't comply, ask again but LOUDER.

Almost hard to believe but I have seen on a walking market french fries sold cold. They made a lot of them, waiting on a table  and gave it to the  customers without reheating in oil, I had never seen before anyone daring to sell cold french fries :sad:

I go to a MCD's a couple of times a year...  I don't really notice a difference if a burger if freshly cooked , or been under the lamps for a few minutes.  What freaks me out, is the "vegetable mush" that is created by building a bastardized burger, with the lettuce, tomato etc, on the bottom, with the meat patty on the top.  Buddha, give me strength.... 

This is correct:

image.png.a36fb8cefa5a33feb50bbb08d1e26433.png

This is sooo wrong:

image.png.37024bf7d9553c1c1a60e5f6d949f651.png

On 11/23/2018 at 8:49 PM, marcusarelus said:

MCTHAI Co, the local operator of McDonald's quick-service restaurants, plans to double the number of its stores by 2020 (to 400), and 14,000 staff to become one of the top three operators of McDonald's restaurants in Asean in terms of store count.  People go to MacDonald's because they like MacDonald's. 

And people are stupid because they are stupid.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:40 PM, fanjita said:

I thought you meant hot as in spicy hot.  

Anyway, get a grip.  

I think if he meant spicy he would have said spicy and not hot and actualy he is right because almost always when you buy a cheeseburger at mc donalds the cheese is almost never melted 

On 11/23/2018 at 8:01 PM, melvinmelvin said:

yes, jerks visit mcdonalds

There are quite a few million jerks around the world being served what they want by McDonalds every day. A pretty good way to do business, I would think, giving people what they want. Even if the quality might be crap.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:51 PM, Kim J said:

Unfortunately it is often the Thai way, to cook food and sell it when cold. Thai's will see nothing wrong with that.

Couple this with the general low level customer services and poor quality such places peddle the world over, there really isn't much hope of getting anything decent from any of them, particularly in Thailand.

If you want fresh cooked and hot food, go elsewhere.

I went in to the restaurant of a hotel I was staying in, and the French Fries were put on my plate straight out of the freezer, not even cooked, yes. you read that right, I asked for and got my money back.

On 11/23/2018 at 7:55 PM, fanjita said:

I very occasionally patronise KFC and that's only in the UK.  Always piping hot, good service, and tasty. 

KFC?? Never use that place, the portion of French Fries they give you is just ridiculous.

yes.... Why do you expect more than they give any other foreigner that chances to dine there? 

Thailand worries about money, not quality. And they do not understand customer service really. 

So take your cold food and eat it with a smile.. or go elsewhere

13 minutes ago, thesetat2013 said:

yes.... Why do you expect more than they give any other foreigner that chances to dine there? 

Thailand worries about money, not quality. And they do not understand customer service really. 

So take your cold food and eat it with a smile.. or go elsewhere

Of course they understand customer service they are the largest restaurant chain in the world.  They are the largest private including franchisees employer in the world and are a major social force in the world teaching people to work and sanitation as well as customer service.  In America 1 in 8 people have worked for MacDonald's. 

I don't know how it is in Udon Thani, but where I eat it in CM they always make it fresh (@least the big Mcs). A trick a former manager of BK in Europe thought me years ago is to order something a bit out of the ordinary and then they must make a new one even if there is 1 under the lamps. I usually order without pickles. 

Archived