SURVEY: Internet, a necessity or not?

Scott

SURVEY: Internet access, necessity or not?  

130 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, direction BANGKOK said:

I believe in the not too distant future being disconnected and phoneless is going to be a "thing". 

Especially if you're a criminal so the cops can't track you.

Or just had enough of this digital world. Remote island next destination. 

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 7:01 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

I would say that the Internet is a 'necessity' in this modern day and age; while one could (theoretically) live without it, the sheer sum of all that would be missed is staggering.

How many members actually buy a newspaper anymore? How many members recently got a job that wasn't advertised on the Net? When was the last time a member went into the physical bank branch (me- 10? 15? years)? How many members telephone their loved ones far away, as opposed to Skype, etc? Perhaps even more pertinent, when was the last time someone looked up a phone number in the 'white pages'? Or even saw a 'White Pages'? When was the last time someone bought a physical book (I miss them...)? How many members keep in touch with their social networks without the Net? Their employment networks? Etc. Etc. Etc.

I think the answers to all the questions above are quite clear, but take it a step further; what if you were 21 years old? Could you make do without the Net? Not a chance in hell; your life would be damaged beyond redemption.

The Net has become so ubiquitous that it has become a necessity, not merely a good thing or a privilege; perhaps not for a retiree, but for a 20 year old? Absolutely crucial. And, if the Net is crucial for twenty year old, then it needs to be part of the social safety net. If not, then a child is condemned to a life of ignorance and missed opportunity.

Internet access should be as ubiquitous as electricity and/or water, be subsidized for all who can't afford it, and be accessible to everyone, everywhere possible (mountain tops and the like exempted).

yeah.  Social security only issues direct deposit checks.  Medical bills online.  Online banking and paying credit cards.  I still mail in my USA taxes, since mine are relatively simple and I have some attachments that make online filing awkward at best.  Travel reservations, confirmations, etc.   I am probably the least internet dependent person out there.  being 61 I use it, but certainly didn't grow up with it.  I am an engineer so use it a lot at work still, but work is close to ending. 

Imagine a survey 100 years ago, on ye olde Siamese town crier, asking if electricity is a necessity or not.  There'd probably be a similar response.  Even now, it could be argued that life is possible without it.  For that reason, I voted "somewhat agree".  Life would still be possible without the internet.  I'd go back to buying whatever was available locally, going to town to buy the papers every day when up country, reading books made out of paper rather than downloaded to my Kindle, waiting for a CD to come out (if it ever did in Thailand) when I wanted to listen to new music, and all the other stuff I did not so long ago.  BUT, I would not be living the same life I do now.  For example, I am able to head up country for a week every month and still keep up with my job, thanks to the internet.  I would also be travelling out of the country far more often to do my job, rather than have data sent to me wherever I am, thanks to the internet.  And, when I retire, internet access will play a major part in deciding where to live - I'm quite happy for that to be up country Thailand.  Is the internet essential for life in general?  No.  Is it essential for my current life style?  Yes.  Along with electricity, running water, motorised transport, mobile communications and most modern home appliances, the internet isn't essential, but is highly desirable.

On 11/25/2018 at 10:59 AM, Ulic said:

Like refrigeration, modern transportation and phones, you can't live without them now. Instant communication free across the world. News, entertainment, information. 

But dont you miss going into a photo shop , buying some film for your camera with 36 shots , taking photos , getting the film developed and then sending photos back to your Mum ?

11 hours ago, balo said:

Especially if you're a criminal so the cops can't track you.

Or just had enough of this digital world. Remote island next destination. 

OK, first, I am being serious. Maybe about 2% joking ????

I am thinking more like it is going to be a trend. Like "we're unplugged this weekend". And the longer you go unplugged, the cooler you are and the more followers you get. "He's on 40 days unplugged!"

Of course they will tell all their friends via social media lol. 

I am serious too, I really think this is going to be a trend. 

Edited by direction BANGKOK