BMA buys 18 firefighting motorcycles

rooster59

BMA buys 18 firefighting motorcycles

By The Nation

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has purchased 18 large BMS motorcycles to fight small fires in the capital, a senior BMA official said on Saturday.

Somkiart Nonthakaew, deputy director of BMA's Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department, said the motorcycles have been delivered to fire stations in inner Bangkok, including the Golden Mountain fire station, Suan Mali fire station, Phayathai fire station, and Banthad Thong fire station.

Each fire motorcycle has three fire extinguishers - one on each side of the motorcycle and another on the back of the rider.

The motorcycles are designed to reach the scene of small fires fast and promptly extinguish the flames. They can tackle vehicle fires and reach communities on sois where large fire engines may not be able to access, Somkiart said.

In cases of large fires, the motorcycles can reach the scene first and riders can evaluate the situation for fire stations to respond appropriately, Somkiart added.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30359233

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-11-25
  • Like 1

I would think that a few lengths of firehose on each bike and two firefighters per bike would be more effective so they can start fighting the fires until the trucks arrive. Just a suggestion, I have no expertise.

I think this is a great idea. Very progressive. And it would also put some direction at the site well ahead of 'the big guns'.

I look forward to hearing of success stories down the road (no pun intended).

32 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Could have been a "triumph" for the BMA!

Only time (and the truth) will tell. But there is merit in the idea. 

And they can probably get there quicker by using the footpaths - well, other motorcyclists regularly do (incl. the RTP). ????

8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration has purchased 18 large BMS motorcycles to fight small fires in the capital

BMA seems careful not to mention the purchase price nor anything regarding the procurement process.

Just because the product is authentic and appropriate to needs doesn't excuse more details on the acquisition.

How do the Thai people know this acquisition isn't similar to the alleged bribes paid for State-owned Thai Airways International's Rolls-Royce engines? http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30308638

Prayut promised more government transparency in acquisitions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it the BMA that purchased all those fire engines that are still (AFAIK) rusting away in a field ...

and all those NGV buses that were rejected by customs?

Half right.

Yes, it was the BMA that purchased the fire trucks.

No , it was the BMTA (the bus company) that purchesed the NGV buses.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, bluesofa said:

While it initially made me smile, I see that according to wiki there are 19 other countries already employing fire motorcycles:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_bike

Yes, the difference being that in Thailand they have a much greater chance of being demolished by a pick-up or ten-wheel truck on the way to the fire.  Nevertheless, the fire extinguishers could still come in handy at the scene of the accident, so perhaps it is a win-win situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

BMA seems careful not to mention the purchase price nor anything regarding the procurement process.

Just because the product is authentic and appropriate to needs doesn't excuse more details on the acquisition.

How do the Thai people know this acquisition isn't similar to the alleged bribes paid for State-owned Thai Airways International's Rolls-Royce engines? http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30308638

Prayut promised more government transparency in acquisitions.

Surely, you don't actually believe everything he says?  Just like the position with the King Power boss's tragic accident, when it was revealed that the Thai military version of the same helicopter cost about three times the price, it will be the m/c's "special equipment", which puts the price up about threefold over the conventional price.  Simple, no transparency needed as they just tell it like it is.

• Like 1

As I understand it will be based on the 850 ccm BMW that is produced in Thailand since a while.

This seems to be an actual image of a bike under test:

(don't ask me about the details of the equipment)

news_hSkggPLCQx160603_533.jpg?v=20181125

news_FHuWlWXtyy160638_533.jpg?v=20181125

Edited by KhunBENQ
800 -> 850
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Not BMW but BMS.

Translation error or a Thai knock-off?

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

As I understand it will be based on the 850 ccm BMW that is produced in Thailand

So either a copy or alteration (just change BMW badge to BMS?) - with or without permission from BMW?

• Like 1

They might be helpful to fight burning cars and get the important time for the passengers inside.
Is there also a oxygen tank for the firefighter? Could be useful for a burning or smoked building to get fast help for the persons inside.

I hope the bikes are actually used and not rusting away or neglected after failing maintenance...