18 Year Old Man Climbs High Voltage Power Pole After Marital Dispute

3. 9

Thailand Live Monday 14 October 2024

4. 626

Harris Lies, Americans Die. Illegal Aliens are more Important

5. 305

Israel Hamas War the Widening Middle East Conflict

6. 2,664

Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part II

7. 10

Video: SpaceX rocket booster successfully lands in Texas after test launch

8. 1,070

Its Happening - Law to Tax Overseas Income Now in Progress

9. 0

Passenger Van Crashes into 18-Wheeler Truck, Passengers Injured

10. 9

11. 305

12. 0

Over 200 Vehicles Damaged After Municipality Resurfaces Road Without Warning Signs

13. 9

14. 305

15. 0

Newborn Survives After Being Abandoned in Long Grass: Phetchabun

PM May says UK will always stand by Gibraltar

rooster59

PM May says UK will always stand by Gibraltar

800x800 (16).jpg

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May leaves the BBC, after taking part in a live radio phone-in, in central London, Britain, November 23, 2018. REUTERS/Toby Melville

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May said on Saturday the United Kingdom would "always stand by Gibraltar" after Spain got enough assurances over the peninsula to unblock the European Union's Brexit deal with London.

"We will always negotiate on behalf of the whole UK family, including Gibraltar," May said on arriving for talks in Brussels with Donald Tusk, the chairman of EU leaders' summit that is due to approve the Brexit deal on Sunday.

"We have worked through the withdrawal issues for Gibraltar in a constructive and sensible way," she said.

"We have ensured that Gibraltar is covered by the whole agreement and by the implementation period."

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-11-25
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DoctorG said:

What are the "assurances" given to Spain that would make them drop their blocking of the BREXIT deal?

As has been said, Spain cannot block the deal on their own.  No single member has a veto on BREXIT.  For once it's a straight majority vote although Brussels would like a unanimous vote.

3 hours ago, DoctorG said:

What are the "assurances" given to Spain that would make them drop their blocking of the BREXIT deal?

dunno,

but the semantics of stand by can be interpreted in different ways

TM standing on Spanish soil looking into Gib is one way of standing by

cheeky lady this TM

22 minutes ago, HHTel said:

As has been said, Spain cannot block the deal on their own.  No single member has a veto on BREXIT.  For once it's a straight majority vote although Brussels would like a unanimous vote.

actually, they can block the whole thing

the top level body in EU has agreed on internal rules/MO for the handling of Brexit

a consensus is required, so Spain can block

but, it was sorted yesterday

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, DoctorG said:

The British government wrote to Tusk's European Council to say that it would not interpret its withdrawal treaty, due to be endorsed on Sunday, as meaning that a future EU-UK trade treaty would automatically apply to Gibraltar — though London's envoy to the EU said it would seek the best deal for its territory.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-25/brexit-gibraltar-breakthrough/10552314

8 minutes ago, meinphuket said:

Take the 'great' out of Britain, as she is a spent force. Scotland will eventually secede, and so may Wales....All Spain needs to do is blockade Gib, most of the EU will support it, and hey presto !

Spain has already tried that on numerous occasions... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Somehow it must be frustrating for those people in England. First they don't get what they want because that little island Ireland, which they normally like to ignore. And now it the even smaller Gibraltar which normally nobody cares about.

Now some people realize that the UK is more than England and some steps, which England would like, are difficult to impossible for the whole UK. Have fun sorting that out!

Exactly. Farage and his corrupt friends have got the Brits in a real mess. Indeed, have fun getting out of that mess. So far, it's more like a soap of a bunch of incompetents.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melvinmelvin said:

actually, they can block the whole thing

the top level body in EU has agreed on internal rules/MO for the handling of Brexit

a consensus is required, so Spain can block

but, it was sorted yesterday

Technically, they can't.  But in reality, they want a unanimous vote so Spain voting against it would sway the decision.

14 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Technically, they can't.  But in reality, they want a unanimous vote so Spain voting against it would sway the decision.

technically they can, absolutely

today's meeting of EU heads of states is not a formal decision making meeting

its a meeting where EU heads of states can give their political nod to proceed or shake to not proceed

the heads of states body has long time ago agreed/adopted their own internal working rules/MO for Brexit, ie consensus

that has been agreed long time ago

next is UK parliament - formal decision making

if deal survives

next EU parliament - formal decision making

then EU may sign   and EEA/UK may ratify

Edited by melvinmelvin

Also Gibraltar has a way of hitting back, many years ago I was doing some commissioning work in Gibraltar and to save on costs I stayed in La Linea just the other side of the border, one night I was just walking along the prom when I notice a glow of a cigarette out sea, could not see anything, a few minutes later heard a boat engine start up then this blacked out speed boat beaches about ten persons run up the beach with suitcases, II's I thought but then half way up the beach they drop them and run back to the boats, others came running out of a side street across the beach road and down the beach to pickup the suitcases and run back to where they had come from.

In the meantime other boats were doing the same thing and then other boats with blue flashing lights and search lights were now chasing these boats which I assumed came from Morocco, a few days later I was walking along the quayside in Gib when I noticed quit a few blacked out speedboats with some battle scars, so probably not Morocco.

5 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

technically they can, absolutely

Spain does not have a veto on the Brexit deal, but the 26 other EU member states would not want to adopt the withdrawal agreement and political declaration, published on Thursday, without Madrid’s support.

I repeat "Technically they can't"  However I also said that in reality, as in the above quote, their vote is important to give a unanimous decision.

There are plenty of sources that back that up including EU lawyers etc.  Anyway it's all pretty academic. 

6 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Also Gibraltar has a way of hitting back, many years ago I was doing some commissioning work in Gibraltar and to save on costs I stayed in La Linea just the other side of the border, one night I was just walking along the prom when I notice a glow of a cigarette out sea, could not see anything, a few minutes later heard a boat engine start up then this blacked out speed boat beaches about ten persons run up the beach with suitcases, II's I thought but then half way up the beach they drop them and run back to the boats, others came running out of a side street across the beach road and down the beach to pickup the suitcases and run back to where they had come from.

In the meantime other boats were doing the same thing and then other boats with blue flashing lights and search lights were now chasing these boats which I assumed came from Morocco, a few days later I was walking along the quayside in Gib when I noticed quit a few blacked out speedboats with some battle scars, so probably not Morocco.

you may experience scenarios like that in Marseille as well

1 minute ago, HHTel said:

I repeat "Technically they can't"  However I also said that in reality, as in the above quote, their vote is important to give a unanimous decision.

There are plenty of sources that back that up including EU lawyers etc.  Anyway it's all pretty academic. 

my view, you are not up to speed on this

today's meeting is not a formal decision making meeting

blablabla , no point in continuing, you quite simply don't have the insight

1 minute ago, melvinmelvin said:

my view, you are not up to speed on this

today's meeting is not a formal decision making meeting

blablabla , no point in continuing, you quite simply don't have the insight

Too right...

Basically just the skeleton, all we have decided is how many legs, arms and heads this agreement will have, now we need to put in some internal organs, some meat on the bones, and then probably some fat, then decide whether it will have hair or feathers...

I really am up to speed on this.  I understand what you say but I was quoting the rules, not the note of 'solidarity' from Juncker.

Published yesterday:

Spain does not have a formal veto over the 585-page withdrawal agreement and the 26-page joint declaration by the leaders, but the EU would have been unlikely to go ahead with the summit without Madrid’s support.

The prime minister had promised in the House of Commons and on the steps of Downing Street that she would work for the entire “UK family”, including Gibraltar – a disputed territory.

Spain has always insisted that Gibraltar could only be covered by any agreements struck between the EU and the UK with Madrid’s consent.

A bilateral agreement on tax evasion, police cooperation and tobacco smuggling had persuaded Spain that Gibraltar could be covered by the 21-month transition period after Brexit, during which the UK would stay in the single market and customs union without representation in EU decision-making institutions.

Spain was furious when an article in the withdrawal agreement appeared to suggest that any future trade deal would cover Gibraltar. Downing Street was accused of “acting under the cover of darkness” in inserting the clause.

The letter from the British ambassador to the European council laid down Downing Street’s understanding that article 184 in the withdrawal agreement “imposes no obligations regarding the territorial scope” of a future trade deal.

A separate letter made public on Saturday, from Jean-Claude Juncker, the president of the European commission, and Tusk, said the two EU leaders wanted to “underline our solidarity with the Kingdom of Spain on this matter”.