Will I have to serve Thai Military Service with a Dual Nationality?

AdamTH

Hi everyone,

I am worried about something. First I'll introduce myself.

My name is Adam and I am 13 years old. 3 months ago I moved from the Netherlands to Thailand. I have a Dutch and Thai passport. In December I wil get a Thai ID.

My father is from South America and my mom is Thai.

Will I have to serve the Thai Military Service?

I rather not serve. I'd like to study and make something of my life, then serving the military. Is there anything to avoid serving the Military? Because I see that every male Thai citizen is required from the age of 20 to serve the Military by determined by the lottery.

All the replies/help would be very kind of you! Thank you...

I can tell you the UK passport side. The UK government cannot protect you if military service is required, In this case, it would be Thailand. So you will have to go if you had a UK passport. I am fairly sure it would be the same for having a Dutch passport as well. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

I was in Europe at service age and stayed well beyond 30 so avoided military service. I think rules have changed since I passed service age and this web page appears to have decent info. http://www.thaicitizenship.com/thai-military-service/

Excellent link. Although it is ambigous saying Dual citizens are exempt from Natiinal Service. I expect the word Not has been left out.. Education. Three years part time while at school. Mefical grounds. Or staying abroad untill after you are 30 are the main options.

• Like 2

There are two further potential options, one is to do an officer short service commission, if there is such a thing in Thailand, which would probably give you a good introduction for any future endevours.  The other is to volunteer.  Earlier this yer, my wife and I spent a week or so driving around the three southern restless provinces visiting some of the camps and giving out goodies to soldiers there and to those on checkpoints.  We talked to a number of them and all the "jungle soldiers" as they called themselves and the Border Security units were volunteers.  They had contracts that were renewed annually.  Actually, I was quite impressed by the calibre of some of the NCOs and junior officers.

• Thanks 1

You may believe it but its not true. You may hold dual nationality with no problems at all. Both my kids are 21 and hold two passports and have no plans to renounce either one.  

How did you do it?

I know the US recognizes duel citizenship but I thought Thailand did not.

My boy is 15 and I would like home to keep both.
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, mogandave said:

How did you do it?

It may be different but numerous Thai women have dual nationalities.  At least they have two passports and they do not seem shy of letting the Thai authorities know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chicken George said:

Excellent link. Although it is ambigous saying Dual citizens are exempt from Natiinal Service. I expect the word Not has been left out.. Education. Three years part time while at school. Mefical grounds. Or staying abroad untill after you are 30 are the main options.

Saying that dual citizens are exempt was one of the misconceptions, therefore no ambiguity 

• Like 2

It may be different but numerous Thai women have dual nationalities.  At least they have two passports and they do not seem shy of letting the Thai authorities know.

My boy has two passports, my concern is whether or not (when push come to shove) Thailand actually legally recognizes duel citizenship.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Spidey said:

I'll wager you weren't a Thai conscript. Different ball game, not a happy experience.

I volunteered of course. Served 4 years in the infantry and did a tour in Afghanistan. I’d join the Thai army for 2 years if it gave me citizenship. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mogandave said:

My boy has two passports, my concern is whether or not (when push come to shove) Thailand actually legally recognizes duel citizenship.

Several of my THAI family and friends have two or more and they can enter Thailand using which ever one they choose.......

Each having different 'conditions'...... example..... enter on Thai passport and stay here as long as you like..... enter on US passport and have to leave in 30 days (unless however they got a visa for longer).........

• Like 2

Several of my THAI family and friends have two or more and they can enter Thailand using which ever one they choose.......
Each having different 'conditions'...... example..... enter on Thai passport and stay here as long as you like..... enter on US passport and have to leave in 30 days (unless however they got a visa for longer).........

Yeah, we do that now.
  • Like 2

if Future Foward come into power it will be abolished. It's purely a money scam. They target wealthy so they pay to avoid the sons service. A huge waste of the people's money and if you stay outside the country or family pays. You won't need to serve in dad's army.

• Like 1

Yes if you are a Thai male citizen then you will be subject to the draft.  So long as you are in full time school you can send a notice of such and be exempted for that year.  Your have to do every year.  My step son forgot one year and his name was posted as a no show.   next year he reported and was marched over to the police station and fined 300 baht.  2 days later he pulled an exempt chip from the bag.  there was Only 1 chip in the bag for entry into the military.  If you try to dodge it you may have serious problems down the road.  No Bank Account, No passport renewal, no inheritance of land etc.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mogandave said:

How did you do it?

My wife and stepson are dual British/Thai nationals. Are you saying Thailand does not recognise dual nationality? Must be one of the only countries in the world that doesn't - I'll have to google that.

• Like 1