Coffee Beans

ellathai

Owl brand Thai coffee "Bright Eye, Strength Eye, or Round Eye. Buy beans in package. They grind fresh if you need for pour through filter. Hillkoff Coffee and Equipment Supply around behind local  bus station in Chiangmai. Buy your coffee cone at paper filters at 60 baht store, 4th floor Airport Plaza, and save, great for fast cup of dress coffee during the day.

Edited by Danthai
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

Oh it does matter. Beans come in different grades. Beans from different areas taste different. And then there is Organic.

What I was trying to say, of course, there is a difference in taste, but they all taste equally good, and dark roast and light roast taste good, both of them. I have never encountered beans that did not taste good, after grinding and brewing. After all, it wouldn't make much sense going through the trouble of producing a bad tasting coffee:)

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

Thailand produces some of the best coffee in the world. Unfortunately 90% of the estates are owned by Nescafe, who blend it into their freeze dried products.

I have always preferred single estate coffee, rather than blended. I buy coffee beans at Friendship supermarket in Pattaya, from one of the Royal estates, and have them ground to my specification at the point of sale. Superb breakfast coffee. Retails at 88 baht/100g.

Always use a Bialetti stove top coffee maker and, as I like cappuccino, I bought a milk creamer from Homepro, which is the best I've ever had.

people in the coffee business would strongly disagree with thai beans one of best in the world.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Spidey said:

Eh? About half the price I was paying for a similar quality bean in the UK. Yes, you can get cheaper pre-packed in Tesco Lotus but nowhere near the quality.

I guess I'm accustomed to decent quality coffee at lower prices (buy beans from local coffee shops, back home, neighboring countries) at <= 500 baht/kg... 

Just now, atyclb said:

people in the coffee business would strongly disagree with thai beans one of best in the world.

In my home town in the UK is a coffee shop that has remained unchanged for 150 years. All beans roasted and ground on the premises. The owner is a real coffee buff and travels the world looking for quality coffee.

After a trip to Thailand he brought back half a sack of single estate coffee. He only sold it to his most valued customers and within a day it had sold out.

He and I both agreed that it was one of the best coffees we'd ever tasted.

He stocked Jamaican Blue Mountain, which is really nice but not as good as the best Thai coffees (and far more expensive). I also bought 10g of Kopi Luwak (civet coffee) for a ridiculous price in KL and was completely underwhelmed by it.

IMO a good Thai coffee really does take some beating.

• Like 1

Order coffees from local coffee shops in your area.  Keep notes.  Ask them what coffee beans they use and rate it in your personal coffee notebook.  After about a month, you'll know your favorite coffee.  Find a retailer - Bob's your uncle!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

I buy my coffee from a local cafe who imports 100kg bags of coffee from Laos.

They roast the beans and sell whole or ground for B250 for 500g.

I'm a real coffee lover and these beans are the best I have found in  Khon Kaen.

The coffee from northern Laos is the best I've tasted outside of Kona coffee from Hawaii and far better priced. I buy my coffee directly from the growers in Hawaii who roast it to my personal taste - dark espresso roast. It's insanely expensive, about $50/pound once it arrives. Postage is expensive, as is the coffee at ~$35/pound, but if you are serious about your coffee -- I'm a fanatic and agree that 3-in-1 is not coffee -- then you suck it up and die from bliss with every mouthful. The only way to drink real coffee is black. Sugar and milk is for pussies. I have a Rancilio coffee machine and grinder, about $1,300 total. Great coffee demands great equipment to bring out the best in it.

I have been unable to find Laotian coffee here in Koh Samui and would appreciate any leads for being able to order it. I'm still kicking myself for not bringing back more when I was there last year. Blew my mind. I'll be in Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Song in a couple of weeks, so if anyone knows of any coffee shops in either of those places, please post.

1 hour ago, Retfed50 said:

Or you could always import some Kona peaberry from Hawaii. Some of the best coffee in the world at about 3,000 baht per kilo! 5555

My growers also produce Peaberry, which is a coffee bush with a single bean per flower as opposed to the usual 2. It is ridiculously expensive and doesn't do so nice as an espresso roast. I purchase the John Bull Espresso coffee from Kau Coffee, https://www.kaucoffee.com/.

Just now, GalaxyMan said:

Jamaican Blue Mountain is seriously overrated. Far too smooth and lacking any character. Kopi Luwak, what a joke! People actually paid $150/lb for that 'shit'. Literally and figuratively. Nothing special about it but the price.

Some people rate Blue Mountain for it's smoothness. I only drink one coffee per day, at breakfast. Before becoming a "connoisseur", it was always Old Brown Java for me. I need a decent kickstart in the morning.

Each to his own, people look for different qualities in coffee.

1 minute ago, Spidey said:

Some people rate Blue Mountain for it's smoothness. I only drink one coffee per day, at breakfast. Before becoming a "connoisseur", it was always Old Brown Java for me. I need a decent kickstart in the morning.

Each to his own, people look for different qualities in coffee.

It's like whisky for me, I prefer the raw edginess of a Islay whisky over the smoothness of a Highland or anything from Ireland. Coffee should excite you, like whisky. Smooth is boring to me. I get the different folks, different strokes, just speaking for myself from my experience. For really smooth coffee that won't break the bank and that still has some character, you might try to find some Sumatran Mandaling.

Just now, GalaxyMan said:

It's like whisky for me, I prefer the raw edginess of a Islay whisky over the smoothness of a Highland or anything from Ireland. Coffee should excite you, like whisky. Smooth is boring to me. I get the different folks, different strokes, just speaking for myself from my experience. For really smooth coffee that won't break the bank and that still has some character, you might try to find some Sumatran Mandaling.

Yep, had Sumatran single estate coffee before, can't remember if it was Mandaling. Great coffee. Got quite addicted to it for a while.

• Like 1

Just now, Spidey said:

Yep, had Sumatran single estate coffee before, can't remember if it was Mandaling. Great coffee. Got quite addicted to it for a while.

I drank it for years until I discovered Kona. I only drink a single espresso each day to start the day, but what a way to start! It's one of my few vices that I just prefer not to do without, in spite of the expense.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spidey said:
1 hour ago, atyclb said:

In my home town in the UK is a coffee shop that has remained unchanged for 150 years. All beans roasted and ground on the premises. The owner is a real coffee buff and travels the world looking for quality coffee.

After a trip to Thailand he brought back half a sack of single estate coffee. He only sold it to his most valued customers and within a day it had sold out.

He and I both agreed that it was one of the best coffees we'd ever tasted.

He stocked Jamaican Blue Mountain, which is really nice but not as good as the best Thai coffees (and far more expensive). I also bought 10g of Kopi Luwak (civet coffee) for a ridiculous price in KL and was completely underwhelmed by it.

IMO a good Thai coffee really does take some beating.

due to soil chemistry / growing conditions thai coffee is bitter. it is a well known fact.  if you use it to make a flavored/sugared drink then the bitterness is masked. on the international coffee green bean market, thai beans are little sought after.  when thai beans are blended with another origin the result can be acceptable.  peaberry does this .  espressofriend.com   the owner is a master roaster and studied in italy and usa.

https://espressocoffeeguide.com/best-coffee-beans/

i disagree with #2. i kived in hawaii and tried many kona beans and it was largely tourist marketing hype.

Edited by atyclb

I drink 3.75 oz espresso steamed under 19 bars of pressure.  Today I had coffee from Ethiopia and Nicaragua.  Some people like drip or french press or percolated or many other kinds of machines which all produce different taste with the same beans.  I like espresso machines  that were invented by Angelo Moriondo of Turin, Italy, who was granted a patent in 1884 for “new steam machinery for the economic and instantaneous confection of coffee beverage.  I don't think one can discuss coffee unless knowing the type of machine that will be brewing said coffee.  

30 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I drink 3.75 oz espresso steamed under 19 bars of pressure.  Today I had coffee from Ethiopia and Nicaragua.  Some people like drip or french press or percolated or many other kinds of machines which all produce different taste with the same beans.  I like espresso machines  that were invented by Angelo Moriondo of Turin, Italy, who was granted a patent in 1884 for “new steam machinery for the economic and instantaneous confection of coffee beverage.  I don't think one can discuss coffee unless knowing the type of machine that will be brewing said coffee.  

For a true flavour from the bean, use a Bialetti. All these expensive gadgets are just that, gadgets, boys toys.

2 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

My growers also produce Peaberry, which is a coffee bush with a single bean per flower as opposed to the usual 2. It is ridiculously expensive and doesn't do so nice as an espresso roast. I purchase the John Bull Espresso coffee from Kau Coffee, https://www.kaucoffee.com/.

Actually, both regular (flat) coffee beans and peaberry beans come from the same trees. The peaberry is an anomally in that only one smaller bean is formed(there are many theories as to why). The main reasons they are more expensive is that it is very labor intensive to separate them from the flat beans and more care is needed during the roasting process. They are better with a medium or medium dark roast but difficult to get the dark roast needed for espresso.

• Like 1

Two Germans are since decades owners of the Royal Coffee Pattaya, soi Khao Noi (Boonsamphan).

They import coffee as wholesaler but when you go there you will definitely get your pound as well.

Beside they are well stocked with various beers and spirits that are not found in the common shelf.

Its a small shop but about coffee they are sure the Address to go. 

Beside I didn't go for the modern coffee makers. The good old classic one with a handle Grandmother has is almost in every Kitchenshop available.

I use that one, put the grind into a hot can and pour hot water over. Then just wait until the grind has set on the bottom and you will wake up memories of Granny's coffee with this full flavor no modern machine can get even close to.

More work for sure but for a REAL coffee gourmet the only way to go.

Edited by See Will
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Who is the greater fool? The OP who has ordered a proper coffee maker and grinder and wants a whole bean recommendation or the poster of a non-sequitur suggesting she purchase some freeze-dried coffee remnants Should she purchase a microwave oven also?

I assume you are familiar with the word curmudgeon.