Does Nongkhai border require 20,000baht proof for a Visa Exempt?

Hello Its me again, I would like to ask you kind sirs if nongkhai border immigration asks for proof of funds if getting a Visa Exempt? My current Setv will expire at the end of December after the 1 month extension that I will be getting. I just want to be prepared before I do a border run.My school will be processing my education visa by mid february and they adviced me to get n setv first due to the new law that students can only get 1 education visa per year. Hope to hear from you soon and thank you.

Sent from my SM-P355 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

20 minutes ago, Nesnaitsirk said:

Hello Its me again, I would like to ask you kind sirs if nongkhai border immigration asks for proof of funds if getting a Visa Exempt?

Not usually. They would probably only ask if they were looking to deny entry.

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

So, just like any other border crossing then.

Better have the cash.

If they’re looking to deny entry even having the cash might not help.

Typical/legitimate tourists have nothing to worry about, but I agree that it’s better for someone pushing their ‘tourism’ luck to carry cash.

1. It surprises me time and time again , that people living in Thailand seems to have problem to be able to show 20 000 baht , even only to show .., when I was in my border run time 10 years ago , I took that always with me , one can not know even a problem on the way can happen .And now I use the 800 k route for 7 years already
  2. slowly I start understanding Thai immigration and government about the need of stricter money rules for tourist and long stay retirees 
Edited by david555
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, david555 said:

It surprises me time and time again , that people living in Thailand seems to have problem to be able to show 20 000 baht , even only to show .., when I was in my border run time 10 years ago , I took that always with me , one can not know even a problem on the way can happen

You are correct that one cannot know if a problem might happen.  The way I read that, though: "It is best not to risk carrying more cash than necessary."   Global electronic-banking has reduced that amount significantly.  A phone call could quickly solve any electronic money-accessibility issue 24/7.

For me, the solution to deal with this archaic Thai rule, was to top-up some old travelers checks, to ensure I always had that much to show, combined with 3K to 5K cash.  That way, if my wallet were ever lost or stolen, I could get a quick-refund on the travelers checks. 

The problem is not that people "do not have 20K baht accessible" - or else immigration would be happy to let people have access to an ATM to prove it.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jackdd said:

I've crossed there many times and was never asked for money, but this does not mean that they won't ask you, so better just take enough cash with you

Same here but I always carry 20k thb when entering at a land border.

• Like 1