November 27, 20187 yr I recently used omeprazole to better control my stomach gas development. It helps, but it turns out that it also negatively affects my rinitis. What alternative medication to omeprazole would be recommended?
November 27, 20187 yr Popular Post Omeprazole does nto treat gas. It reduces the acidity of stomach fluids and thus promotes healing of ulcers and gastritis (inflammation of stomach lining) and reduces the pain associated with gastric-esophageal reflux -- but has no effect on gas per se. if that is indeed your problem there is an herbal remedy sold in 7-11s called Airess that works for many people. It can also be bought online, but most 7-11s have it. http://sandm.co.th/en/shop/handy-herb-airess/
November 27, 20187 yr Author Dear Sheryl, The fact is that since the day I added another 20 mg omeprazole (totally intake omeprazole 40mg), the gas in the stomach or intestines has been significantly reduced and I feel less pain at any time.
November 28, 20187 yr Are you sure the pain was due to gas? As explained omeprazole has no effect on gas. It will, however, reduce acidity and with that the pain of gastritis is much reduced. If your problem is gastritis rather than gas, alternatives to PPIs like omeprazole are: ranitidine cimetidine Both available in many local brands
November 28, 20187 yr Author 3 hours ago, Sheryl said: Are you sure the pain was due to gas? As explained omeprazole has no effect on gas. It will, however, reduce acidity and with that the pain of gastritis is much reduced. If your problem is gastritis rather than gas, alternatives to PPIs like omeprazole are: ranitidine cimetidine Both available in many local brands Yes, my problem is with gas which increases with the food intake. I assume that gastritis also produces gas or not? Thees medicaments your are suggesting are available without prescription in the market? Edited November 28, 20187 yr by Gerd Schuessler
November 28, 20187 yr May I suggest apple cider vinegar? Just a little in a glass of water, helped my acid reflux for sure. I know you don't have acid reflux but the explanation as to why it works indicates it could help also.
November 28, 20187 yr Air-X 19 baht for a strip of ten chewable menthol mint flavoured tablets. Useful for taking before ultrasounds if results are not clear due to excess gas. Just about every pharmacy sells this.
November 28, 20187 yr 3 hours ago, Gerd Schuessler said: Yes, my problem is with gas which increases with the food intake. I assume that gastritis also produces gas or not? Thees medicaments your are suggesting are available without prescription in the market? No, gastritis does not in itself produce gas. If you have pain after eating which is relieved by omeprazole it is much more likely due to gastritis than gas. Yes, these medications are readily available without prescription in any pharmacy, but as with any medication you should read up on potential side effects. Gastritis is often due to a bacteria called h. pylori. If that is the case you need specific treatment for it. I suggest getting tested for it.
November 28, 20187 yr Author 4 hours ago, cooked said: May I suggest apple cider vinegar? Just a little in a glass of water, helped my acid reflux for sure. I know you don't have acid reflux but the explanation as to why it works indicates it could help also. I am taking apple cider vinegar since more than one year already.....
November 28, 20187 yr Author 1 hour ago, Sheryl said: No, gastritis does not in itself produce gas. If you have pain after eating which is relieved by omeprazole it is much more likely due to gastritis than gas. Yes, these medications are readily available without prescription in any pharmacy, but as with any medication you should read up on potential side effects. Gastritis is often due to a bacteria called h. pylori. If that is the case you need specific treatment for it. I suggest getting tested for it. 10 years ago I did a heliobacter test but it turned out negative...Thank you for your kind suggestions...
November 29, 20187 yr Air-X had also worked well for me for infrequent acid heartburn type attacks but for a severe (due medications) attack recently found Gaviscon very effective (although more expensive).
November 29, 20187 yr Gaviscon works well for very short term relief of pain associated with gastritis and GERD. If the problem is only occasional it makes good sense and is preferrable IMO to daily systemic medication. But if the problem is pretty constant it isn't practical and daily systemic meds may beunavoidable.Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
November 29, 20187 yr Gaviscon works well for very short term relief of pain associated with gastritis and GERD. If the problem is only occasional it makes good sense and is preferrable IMO to daily systemic medication. But if the problem is pretty constant it isn't practical and daily systemic meds may be unavoidable.Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
December 4, 20187 yr Omeprazole does nto treat gas. It reduces the acidity of stomach fluids and thus promotes healing of ulcers and gastritis (inflammation of stomach lining) and reduces the pain associated with gastric-esophageal reflux -- but has no effect on gas per se. if that is indeed your problem there is an herbal remedy sold in 7-11s called Airess that works for many people. It can also be bought online, but most 7-11s have it. http://sandm.co.th/en/shop/handy-herb-airess/ Is there any side effects that you know for using Airess daily two capsules per day? Can it be taken for longer period or just sometime? Thank you.
December 4, 20187 yr Omeprazole certainly has a place in life though... it's what I have been on for years, to counter the eventual acidity cum ulcers problems expected of Orudis meds. I don't take anything to 'carte blanche' reduce acidity, and I leave stomach balances to themselves, helped along by ACV as others have already written. One is always aware to never let acidity drop, as I don't want reflux to occur. I've had advice that if one reduces acidity, then the stomach's ability to react against acid relux is actually diminished
December 4, 20187 yr Is there any side effects that you know for using Airess daily two capsules per day? Can it be taken for longer period or just sometime? Thank you.I think there are some cautions written on it, check the website. Something like don't take if liver disease.AFAIK no usual side effects ir oroblem with ling term use. It consists of herbs commonly used in cooking.Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
December 4, 20187 yr 2 hours ago, tifino said: Omeprazole certainly has a place in life though... it's what I have been on for years, to counter the eventual acidity cum ulcers problems expected of Orudis meds. I don't take anything to 'carte blanche' reduce acidity, and I leave stomach balances to themselves, helped along by ACV as others have already written. One is always aware to never let acidity drop, as I don't want reflux to occur. I've had advice that if one reduces acidity, then the stomach's ability to react against acid relux is actually diminished Acidity is important foe a lot of things, not only reflux. Taking a little apple cider vinegar every day cleared up my reflux problem which I had suffered from for many years. Worth a try.
December 4, 20187 yr 23 minutes ago, cooked said: Acidity is important foe a lot of things, not only reflux. Taking a little apple cider vinegar every day cleared up my reflux problem which I had suffered from for many years. Worth a try. thanx yes I have ACV daily. In the same way for Lemons, the stomach does it's own thing in converting the acid of lemons, and ACV to bring the resultant acid level to where it needs need to be. I was trying earlier to get to; that it's better a higher acid stomach level than a too-low one; so that the stomach reflux action (the Sphincter) has a sufficent acidity level to respond to, to be able to do it's thing against the reflux. This is why I never gulp-consume anti-acids; because then the stomach's defences are lowered, and reflux becomes more likely to occur. (family history of Hiatis Hernias - so I am always self aware that I might also be affected eventually)
December 4, 20187 yr I've been taking Ranatidine (Zantac) on and off for many years for acid reflux, although I only use it for a few days if the reflux get's bad until it goes away, and then not needed for perhaps a few weeks. But a year or so back it was becoming steadily more of a problem so I tried Omeprazole, with much better results. Now I'll use the Ranatidine for a day or two, and if this doesn't clear things up then just one Omperazole does the trick for the next week or so. A friend of mine stopped getting relief with Omeprazole, and was prescribed Es-omeprazole (only available as "Nexium") with excellent results, although very expensive here at c. 100bt each (cf. 90bt for 100 Omeprazole). Wiki has some pretty useful pages for all the various ant-acid medications, with many other alternatives listed... but always check for warnings & contr-indications before using non prescribed meds. Edited December 4, 20187 yr by steve73
December 4, 20187 yr 6 hours ago, steve73 said: A friend of mine stopped getting relief with Omeprazole, and was prescribed Es-omeprazole (only available as "Nexium") with excellent results, although very expensive here at c. 100bt each (cf. 90bt for 100 Omeprazole). The jury is still out on the efficacy of Nexium over Omeprazole. Comparative efficacy of esomeprazole and omeprazole. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4647708/
December 4, 20187 yr 14 minutes ago, LosLobo said: The jury is still out on the efficacy of Nexium over Omeprazole. Thanks, interesting report... Possibly a psychosomatic effect for my friend then... if she believed the more expensive medicine worked better, then it probably did, since a major cause of acid reflux, etc, is stress induced. Fortunately I'm not stressed too much for Omeprazole to still work very well for me when needed, or when Ranitidine struggles to cope. Edited December 4, 20187 yr by steve73
December 6, 20187 yr Author On 11/28/2018 at 5:53 PM, Sheryl said: No, gastritis does not in itself produce gas. If you have pain after eating which is relieved by omeprazole it is much more likely due to gastritis than gas. Yes, these medications are readily available without prescription in any pharmacy, but as with any medication you should read up on potential side effects. Gastritis is often due to a bacteria called h. pylori. If that is the case you need specific treatment for it. I suggest getting tested for it. Dear Sheryl, Further more to my initial comment, I remembered that after en an ultrasound examination the doctor in charge of the examination told me that my whole system is full of air....however, the doctor who ordered the examination did not react to this results....this examen dates back about 3-4 years ago...
December 6, 20187 yr Doesn't sound like a very good doctor. If a great deal of free air was oresent the question is why.In any case that was years ago. You might benefit from seeing a good GI specialist now.Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
December 6, 20187 yr Author 28 minutes ago, Sheryl said: Doesn't sound like a very good doctor. If a great deal of free air was oresent the question is why. In any case that was years ago. You might benefit from seeing a good GI specialist now. Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app If you were my doctor what would you suggest to try?
December 6, 20187 yr a good doctor will get a clear history and description of your symptoms and then set about determining the cause before suggesting any treatment.Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
December 6, 20187 yr Author 1 hour ago, Sheryl said: a good doctor will get a clear history and description of your symptoms and then set about determining the cause before suggesting any treatment. Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app Finding a good doctor is like winning a checkpot ... but thanks you for spreading hope....
December 6, 20187 yr Finding a good doctor is like winning a checkpot ... but thanks you for spreading hope.... On the contrary. It is a matter of taking the time to do some research or ask for a recommendation from someone who has done so. If you simply walk into hospitals and ask to see a doctor then yes, odds are you won't get a good one. Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
December 7, 20187 yr Author On 12/6/2018 at 8:03 PM, Sheryl said: On the contrary. It is a matter of taking the time to do some research or ask for a recommendation from someone who has done so. If you simply walk into hospitals and ask to see a doctor then yes, odds are you won't get a good one. Sent from my SM-J701F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app Do you believe really I have not done so? People are reluctant to suggest or recommend a doctor because on several reasons...
Create an account or sign in to comment