Pattaya high season hotel bookings well down on 2017 - but there could be a reason say THA

webfact

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

As per your request.  The entire post. 

My response is look on page 14 or the link.  Where you will find the information on Chinese spending in Thailand.  Some spend more that 60,000, some spend less than 60,000 but the average Chinese tourist spends 60,000 baht in Thailand per vacation. 

May be third time lucky, "furthermore let’s say out of 1 million Chinese , how many considered “average” ?

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BestB said:

Stop deflecting and making up stories, Answer simple question. Out of 1 million how many would be "an average"

Also answer why Chinese Tourism Academy and biggest OTA in China puts "average" spending at 1/3 of your "facts" ie 24000 baht.

There would be no average with one.  You need at least two to compute an average.  If two Chinese come to Thailand and one spends 10 baht and the other 20 baht the average would be 15 baht. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

There would be no average with one.  You need at least two to compute an average.  If two Chinese come to Thailand and one spends 10 baht and the other 20 baht the average would be 15 baht. 

So in lament terms you do not have a clue, Roger that

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

So what was the point of this survey? What was the client advertising?

Nothing. 

27 minutes ago, Spidey said:

So what was the point of this survey? What was the client advertising?

No advertising.  That's what I've been trying to tell you.  Neilsons is not an advertising company.

This survey on Chinese tourists' overseas spending and payment was a one-for-one in-depth online survey by Nielsen, commissioned by Alipay. The results of the survey do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the commissioning party. All data collected and presented was based on the basic conditions of the populations and was only intended to be used for the purpose of this survey. Nielsen Consumer Finance Research Team designed this survey and based its opinions on it in an attempt to provide a reference material for the general market, the industry, and the general public.

29 minutes ago, BestB said:

Stop deflecting and making up stories, Answer simple question. Out of 1 million how many would be "an average"

Also answer why Chinese Tourism Academy and biggest OTA in China puts "average" spending at 1/3 of your "facts" ie 24000 baht.

886 times 33 = 29,000 Based on these numbers, this would put the potential spending by Chinese tourists in Thailand this year in the range of $8.86 billion. 

So, tell me what other group of tourists will spend 9 billion in Thailand? 

https://jingtravel.com/thailand-expects-10-million-chinese-tourists-also-plans-attract-high-end-visitors/

886 times 33 = 29,000 Based on these numbers, this would put the potential spending by Chinese tourists in Thailand this year in the range of $8.86 billion. 

So, tell me what other group of tourists will spend 9 billion in Thailand? 

https://jingtravel.com/thailand-expects-10-million-chinese-tourists-also-plans-attract-high-end-visitors/

What does how little each one spends now has to do with total number of tourists.

Yes they use to come in large numbers and spend very little for such a large number.

This is not even backpackers budget, 

What other group? the other 20 million tourists who spend by far more than 29000 baht.

5 minutes ago, BestB said:

What does how little each one spends now has to do with total number of tourists.

Yes they use to come in large numbers and spend very little for such a large number.

This is not even backpackers budget, 

What other group? the other 20 million tourists who spend by far more than 29000 baht.

You only take the total to the bank.  4 Chinese stay in a room and you get paid for the room.  Who cares how much per person.  How many Brits come to Thailand is irrelevant.  How much they spend is.  Thailand wants less people with more money but that has never happened and I doubt it ever will.  You think your survey is accurate and I think Neilson is but one way or the other it's around 8 billion and it is from China.

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

You only take the total to the bank.  4 Chinese stay in a room and you get paid for the room.  Who cares how much per person.  How many Brits come to Thailand is irrelevant.  How much they spend is.  Thailand wants less people with more money but that has never happened and I doubt it ever will.  You think your survey is accurate and I think Neilson is but one way or the other it's around 8 billion and it is from China.

Stop deflecting and and making up stories as you go.

Just before you were proclaiming how much money 10 million chinese spend as a whole and no one else does, now you proclaiming how many come is irrelevant.

And whats this nonsense about Thailand wanting less people with more money? did you just make this up?

Thailand loves big numbers and aspires to big numbers, it all about hitting growth in numbers.

Of course you think Nilesen is, because it suits your agenda, actual reality is of no concern to you and would make you look foolish 

16 pages of Pattaya bashing , and by the usual members. 

I think most of them are upset about Pattaya because of the new immigration rules, or if they own a business. 

For the rest of us , Pattaya is the only place we want to live in Thailand.

CM too boring , Bangkok too crowded and polluted. Hua Hin boring. 

14 minutes ago, BestB said:

Stop deflecting and and making up stories as you go.

Just before you were proclaiming how much money 10 million chinese spend as a whole and no one else does, now you proclaiming how many come is irrelevant.

And whats this nonsense about Thailand wanting less people with more money? did you just make this up?

Thailand loves big numbers and aspires to big numbers, it all about hitting growth in numbers.

Of course you think Nilesen is, because it suits your agenda, actual reality is of no concern to you and would make you look foolish 

The re-emergence of the Thai Elite Card is indicative of Thailand’s push to become a luxury tourism destination. 

http://sea-globe.com/wanted-wealthy-tourists-thailand-tourism-thai-elite-card-tourists/

Thailand has been going on and on for years trying to make Thailand a luxury destination and every year when a new Tourism Minister is appointed we hear the same stuff.  More quality tourists.  If you had lived here for a while you would know this. 

Neilson is a very big, old and accurate company trusted the world over and they don't make mistakes.  People pay them big bucks to be right because they don't sell a product they sell information and if the information is wrong they don't make money. 

Thailand is increasing its appeal to luxury travelers.

It's the fourth-most-profitable tourism destination in the world.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-10-10/travelers-spend-more-money-in-thailand-than-anywhere-else-in-asia

I know you are new to Thailand but try google "Thailand wants to become luxury tourist destination"

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Did your friend Google tell you that? or you have gained this knowledge through personal experience?

Personal experience and anecdotal evidence is seldom accurate and I almost never use it.  Quantitative scientific measures are almost always more accurate than personal perceptions and experiences.

Personal experience and anecdotal evidence is seldom accurate and I almost never use it.  Quantitative scientific measures are almost always more accurate than personal perceptions and experiences.

Personal experience? so you own business in Pattaya and Phuket and know what is happening in both towns at the same time?

Yes, no doubt faceless statistics are more accurate.

Spoken like a true keyboard warrior with no personal knowledge or experience

1 minute ago, Kim J said:

But the discussion is not about how much Chinese tourists are spending. The discussion is about numbers of hotel bookings in Pattaya! The cost of those rooms and what tourists spend whilst here is completely irrelevant to the discussion. But I will refer you back to your post No 179 in the discussion, and for some unknown reason you introduced statistics on tourists spending power.

Are you trying to deny bookings are down? Or what else are you trying to say? Maybe you could enlighten us, because your postings are becoming ever more confusing.

Not confusing but erratic.;)

12 hours ago, sanemax said:

Ant time a Foreigner visits another Country , its quite possible that immigration will ask him a few questions .

Why do you feel that your friend should be allowed to travel the world without any I.O.s asking him any questions ?

An immigration officer asking a few questions is fairly routine. Being taken aside, and brought into an office to be grilled by two officers for 30 minutes is not routine. It is bizarre. I would have lost it and laid into those goons very hard. He was scared. Thailand is missing the mark and failing the test. 

57 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

An immigration officer asking a few questions is fairly routine. Being taken aside, and brought into an office to be grilled by two officers for 30 minutes is not routine. It is bizarre. I would have lost it and laid into those goons very hard. He was scared. Thailand is missing the mark and failing the test. 

If that scared him, he needs to man up a bit .

He needs to be more like you , and laid into those goons really hard

5 hours ago, BestB said:

And this kind of post is the perfect example of what clueless looks and sounds like.

How exactly do you know how much person spends? How does Nielsens know how much person spends?

Do they visit bars to get itemized bills? or every market stall, retail shop,gogo bar, club, clinic, hotel, taxi driver,  etc etc etc.

How exactly they have arrived at exact number, especially in a country where a HUGE number of businesses not only not registered at all, but hardly anyone pays real taxes as hiding income is just too easy

These are based either on data provided by the some government agency or a sample survey of selected limited number of people.

But please carry on.......

If you don't understand the answer to those questions you shouldn't be in the hotel business in a foreign country!

Too many posters in this thread more interested in being seen to be right and winning the argument than in fact, it's probably a pointless "debate"..."how would you know you don't live here" and " the data is national and not just Pattaya specific", how juvenile and banal.

9 hours ago, Spidey said:

Which, per head ain't a lot. How much does the average American 2 week millionaire or Japanese businessman spend in Thailand? Never seen a Chinese tourist making it rain 100 baht notes in Sapphire.

I used to spend treble that when I came here on holiday. And that was just spending money.

I tend to agree, although that was only 1000 sterling back then. 

Some off topic posts leading to bickering also replies removed, topic is about hotel bookings:

Pattaya high season hotel bookings well down on 2017 - but there could be a reason say THA

On 11/28/2018 at 6:19 PM, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Not one of my British friends is coming to Thailand this year. That's usually a crew of 5-8 men and women, most of whom come at least twice a year, for one to two months a visit. That's a lot of lost revenue. Yes, the exchange rate is a big reason. But there are lots of little things like poor service, more expensive lodgings and rising drink and food prices. 

allow me to add:
social media coverage related to law and order: stories on the net about inertness of authorities in case of rape; about the hit-and-run man that runs while hooligans get long prison terms; a string of unsolved or by some netizens deemed unsatisfactorily solved cases of people getting killed;
news and social media coverage related to safety, such as sinking boats; mentions of people being robbed; falls of balconies; and a number of fund-me requests of traffic victims.
Social Media seem to me a larger force in the drop of tourist traffic than the Rouble rate going up from 60 to 65 or the GBP falling in 2016.

1 hour ago, KKr said:

hooligans get long prison terms

We have a winner. In fact most of the decrease in hotel bookings can be explained quite simply by the decrease in hooligan tourism. Remember the good old days when hooligans filled the hotels and bars and kept the riffraff, especially Asians, in order?

Yeah, the prison terms, the tightening of visa rules, bad guys out, Brexit, sissy malls and hotels, etc. Thailand needs to get the hooligans numbers UP. Long-term free visas, free overstays, discounted air fares, hotel rooms rolled back to B250, free beer, tattoos and head shaving, police turning a blind eye to bashing, drugs, theft, drunk driving, extortion etc.

How can Thailand neglect the big-spending hooligans in favor of cheap Chinese??? Thainess!

4 hours ago, BigStar said:

We have a winner. In fact most of the decrease in hotel bookings can be explained quite simply by the decrease in hooligan tourism. Remember the good old days when hooligans filled the hotels and bars and kept the riffraff, especially Asians, in order?

Yeah, the prison terms, the tightening of visa rules, bad guys out, Brexit, sissy malls and hotels, etc. Thailand needs to get the hooligans numbers UP. Long-term free visas, free overstays, discounted air fares, hotel rooms rolled back to B250, free beer, tattoos and head shaving, police turning a blind eye to bashing, drugs, theft, drunk driving, extortion etc.

How can Thailand neglect the big-spending hooligans in favor of cheap Chinese??? Thainess!

with hooligans I was referring to drunk (overage) teenagers, not gangsters.
having taken those few words out of context, you make it look rather funny.
In context, imho, rather bad publicity.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:50 PM, watcharacters said:

For your post to have any relevance, don't you think you should state the comparative currency?

Are we just suppost to guess?

Show your driver's license. then you get thai rates for entry.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:43 AM, KKr said:

Not one of my British friends is coming to Thailand this year. That's usually a crew of 5-8 men and women, most of whom come at least twice a year, for one to two months a visit. That's a lot of lost revenue.

That'll show Thailand a thing or two.

1 minute ago, johng said:
2 hours ago, ebean001 said:
Show your driver's license. then you get thai rates for entry.

Doesn't work everywhere ,Floating market Pattaya for one.

National Parks for two, Royal Palace for three, and so on.

They absolutely dont in the low end. You can get even 10% discount if you pay cash like guest houses.
You must be kidding. Not a single guest house in the country will except credit cards , beads or shells. It's always always cash

1 hour ago, madmen said:
1 hour ago, bodymassagemyfriend said:
They absolutely dont in the low end. You can get even 10% discount if you pay cash like guest houses.

You must be kidding. Not a single guest house in the country will except credit cards , beads or shells. It's always always cash

There are several hundred guest houses that can be booked using Agoda or similar, all of which accept credit cards!

Archived