Adsl With A Laptop

scottie dog

You should have an RJ-45 socket that is used for access to local network. It looks like a normal telephone socket but a little larger.

If you don't have a LAN connection on your computer it would probably be best to obtain a USB type ADSL modem.

You should have an RJ-45 socket that is used for access to local network. It looks like a normal telephone socket but a little larger.

If you don't have a LAN connection on your computer it would probably be best to obtain a USB type ADSL modem.

There is only the two standard modem sockets no sign of an RJ-45. I have already bought the modem, can I get an adaptor?

PS its a DELL about 4Yo, I don't have the modelwith me.

I hope someone can help. I am trying to connect a laptop to the internet with adsl. The instructions say "connect to the ethernet connection on your computer" I only have a built in modem slot. Is this the ethernet slot or do I need to do something else. Ta

The modem connection on your computer is known as a RJ11 connection and is different to and smaller than the ethernet connection which is known as a RJ45 connection. Your laptop probably has both and on my Dell laptop they are adjacent to each other, the ethernet connection is the larger one of the two and looks very similar. An example of the RJ11 connector is commonly seen on telephones and here in Thailand on the telephone socket. If you dont have an ethernet slot then you will have to invest in a PCMCIA LAN card. However I dont know how old your laptop is but doesnt it have an inbuilt wireless card that you can use assuming that the ADSL device is a wireless device?

Or, buy an inexpensive Ethernet card that fits your notebook's card slot ... probably PCMCIA if it is old enough to not even have an RJ-45 jack. If you can find an old 10-Mb Ethernet card, that is adequate for an ADSL connection, and might be cheaper than a 100-Mb or gigabit (1000-Mb) card.

I know there are USB Ethernet adapters, but I think they are a bit expensive, so if you want a USB solution, go for lopburi3's suggestion and get an ADSL modem.

Or, buy an inexpensive Ethernet card that fits your notebook's card slot ... probably PCMCIA if it is old enough to not even have an RJ-45 jack. If you can find an old 10-Mb Ethernet card, that is adequate for an ADSL connection, and might be cheaper than a 100-Mb or gigabit (1000-Mb) card.

I know there are USB Ethernet adapters, but I think they are a bit expensive, so if you want a USB solution, go for lopburi3's suggestion and get an ADSL modem.

I already have the MODEM so will try the PCMIA card solution.

Thanks all.

There is only the two standard modem sockets no sign of an RJ-45. I have already bought the modem, can I get an adaptor?

I have never heard of a laptop computer with two 56k modem ports, which is what the highlighted words above seem to suggest.

If there are two jacks on your computer that look similar, one of them is most likely an ethernet port (aka RJ-45, LAN port, etc.)

Have you got an ethernet cable? Just try to connect it to one and then the other of these two sockets and it should work.

It is possible the computer does not have an Ethernet socket, but very unlikely if it is only 4 years old.

I have never heard of a laptop computer with two 56k modem ports, which is what the highlighted words above seem to suggest.

If there are two jacks on your computer that look similar, one of them is most likely an ethernet port (aka RJ-45, LAN port, etc.)

Have you got an ethernet cable? Just try to connect it to one and then the other of these two sockets and it should work.

It is possible the computer does not have an Ethernet socket, but very unlikely if it is only 4 years old.

Thanks. Am not near the beast at present, so will get back to you all when I next look at it.

How did I miss that post about "the two standard modem sockets"??? <smack!>

UNDOUBTEDLY, one of them is an RJ-45 port.

Scottie, if you look closely you'll see one of them is a little wider than the other one, and that's the RJ-45 port.

Scottie, if you look closely you'll see one of them is a little wider than the other one, and that's the RJ-45 port.

Typically the two connectors on the notebook/PC will have a small icon adjacent to each. They usually use a something that looks like a telephone handset to indicate the analog/56k dial-up modem (RJ-11) connection, and a series of three boxes with one arranged above two (like an orginization chart) to indicate the Ethernet (connection). You can accidently plug the RJ-11 into the RJ-45 connection, but cannot plug the RJ-45 into the RJ-11 connection so in the OP's case it's pretty much fool-proof. Any user documentation for the notebook/PC could also be used as a reference guide.

Typically the two connectors on the notebook/PC will have a small icon adjacent to each. They usually use a something that looks like a telephone handset to indicate the analog/56k dial-up modem (RJ-11) connection, and a series of three boxes with one arranged above two (like an orginization chart) to indicate the Ethernet (connection). You can accidently plug the RJ-11 into the RJ-45 connection, but cannot plug the RJ-45 into the RJ-11 connection so in the OP's case it's pretty much fool-proof. Any user documentation for the notebook/PC could also be used as a reference guide.

As the bishop said to the actress “Oops I’ve put it in the wrong hole!”

Thanks for all your advice. All now OK