Top Phuket frozen seafood factory shut down, managing director arrested

snoop1130

Top Phuket frozen seafood factory shut down, managing director arrested

By The Phuket News

1543405802_1-org.jpg

The Phuket Union Food frozen seafood factory was raided and shut down, and its managing director was arrested, today (Nov 28) after the facility was found to be operating without a licence. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET:-- The Phuket Union Food frozen seafood factory was raided and shut down, and its managing director was arrested, today (Nov 28) after the facility was found to be operating without a licence.

Phuket Union Food is known to be one of Phuket’s leading suppliers of frozen foods to top Phuket restaurants, hotel and catering businesses.

Phuket Provincial Police accompanied by Paisarn Sukpunwan, head of the Administration Department at the Phuket Provincial Fisheries Office, raided the frozen-food facility, in Moo 1, Rassada, at 10am.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/top-phuket-frozen-seafood-factory-shut-down-managing-director-arrested-69501.php#tjdt5XkoApirZS0P.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-11-28

29 minutes ago, cplgil said:

You obviously do not understand Thailand. It always boils down to money and payoffs. Once he pays it will all go away

I understand as well as anyone.  I just choose not to accept it.   Saying nothing would be construed, by less than nimble minds, as acceptance.  

I thought a longstanding business had previous licences so surely a reminder would have been sent. OR have they always operated without one but did not call for a person to collect a pay off.    Same all village gambling homes that the lady of the house is running.    

12 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

From the full story:

He has been charged as the factory operator failed to notify the competent officials in accordance with the rules and procedures prescribed by the Director-General (of the Fisheries Department), who had not granted the requisite factory operation permit under the factory law

He probably couldn't find any competent officials to notify!

Competent or incompetent, normally they will be lining up when it comes to cash in on fishy licenses. Hope they did not have a dart board in the locker room.

too bad for the employees, but hey if im leaving one day late, i get a fine.

If i overstay i get fined and if too long im bannend.

The manager should know the rules and failed his function.

Sometimes i hear stories about employers, from my wife (labourinspector), and think employers are softly handled.

Guess this company was handled softly first, but now comes to an end, finally.

But it is sad for the employees, no income anymore, due to a jackass manager.

• Like 1

They are going down hard on anything that is not own by CP... a coupe a years ago CP pushed the law that made home slaughter of pigs and other animals illegal. Now it must be a registered slaughterhouse following same standards as in the west, just think stainless steel and all tile floor/walls, a veterinarian inspector, and a full office for all the paperwork... what small Thai farmer can afford to have all that?!
So frankly this was all made to force people to buy CP's products from Macro and 7-11, because in reality it didn't have anything to do with the safety of the consumers, it was just made to to crush the competition!!!

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

How long had this "leading supplier of frozen foods" been operating without a licence and therefore, presumably without public health and safety checks?  It is simply staggering how many hotels and other businesses in Thailand can operate for years without a licence, apparently without any "competent officials" being aware.  Do they ever leave their offices or do they walk around with their eyes closed.  Perhaps they do occasionally leave their office and walk around but presumably with their pockets full. 

I think we all know the reasons why some selected firms can suddenly find themselves in trouble, while others do not.

You say license as if it actually means something or requires something . It does not. All it is     just a piece of paper for a fee. Nothing is required or checked same applies to hotels , restaurants, bars and pretty much everything else in Thailand including driving license . No one takes you for a drive in actual traffic to see if you can drive.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

How long had this "leading supplier of frozen foods" been operating without a licence and therefore, presumably without public health and safety checks?  It is simply staggering how many hotels and other businesses in Thailand can operate for years without a licence, apparently without any "competent officials" being aware.  Do they ever leave their offices or do they walk around with their eyes closed.  Perhaps they do occasionally leave their office and walk around but presumably with their pockets full. 

I think we all know the reasons why some selected firms can suddenly find themselves in trouble, while others do not.

You say license as if it actually means something or requires something . It does not. All it is     just a piece of paper for a fee. Nothing is required or checked same applies to hotels , restaurants, bars and pretty much everything else in Thailand including driving license . No one takes you for a drive in actual traffic to see if you can drive.

8 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

They are going down hard on anything that is not own by CP... a coupe a years ago CP pushed the law that made home slaughter of pigs and other animals illegal. Now it must be a registered slaughterhouse following same standards as in the west, just think stainless steel and all tile floor/walls, a veterinarian inspector, and a full office for all the paperwork... what small Thai farmer can afford to have all that?!
So frankly this was all made to force people to buy CP's products from Macro and 7-11, because in reality it didn't have anything to do with the safety of the consumers, it was just made to to crush the competition!!!

I ve seen a local butcher and really i was lets say amazed. However if i see Makro and other supermarkets handling the meat, im even more lets say flabbergasted. The cooling is mostly ice over meat !! Water and blood dripping everywhere! Everyone can touch the meat, its wide open. It is a shame for those companies to treat the meat that bad. 

Maybe those farmers should have a coop slaughter house, they can even have support from governement. It would be much better, but doesnt help if i see in supermarkets the meat swimming in water and ice, open wide.

2 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Hope these businesses or the factory employees are not too dependent on this company. 

Granted they were operating without a license, but some major projects in Thailand start off unlicensed.  No health violations were found.  A softer approach would have been more beneficial.  Heavy handedness is the order of the day for Thai officialdom.

It was said of a great king of ancient days, that he wears his power very lightly. The same cannot be said of Prayuth. On any level. Not sure what was "really" going on with this factory. But, when it comes to this administration, you can be sure that it is not what it seems. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BestB said:

Me thinks Anan has upset someone or someone else wanted piece of the pie.

They seems to be obsessed with having "license" 

Does not having a license really warrants an arrest and closure?

Given that you could kill large numbers of people with a badly run seafood factory, the answer is yes - not registering with the authorities means no inspections and I probably don't have to point out that no inspections means no rules have to be obeyed.

14 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

Given that you could kill large numbers of people with a badly run seafood factory, the answer is yes - not registering with the authorities means no inspections and I probably don't have to point out that no inspections means no rules have to be obeyed.

Who ever told you being registered means inspections or some kind of standards ?

• Thanks 1