Marriage Failure Rate, Farang Men To Thais

Nana Parking

I was talking to a guy I know who has lived in Thailand for over 10 years and he says that he knows 1 persons out of hundreds who has had a successful marriage to a Thai. In my personal experience I know of about as many successes as he. I'm talking about marriages to Thais of all walks of life: bank tellers, office workers, nurses etc. I'm wondering why, for the life of me, why would anyone get married? I personally have been with the same girl for 5 years and I refuse to marry, much to my gf's chagrin. I asked her once who was more important to her, me or the family kwai; with a straight face she said the Kwai.

• Sad 1

I was talking to a guy I know who has lived in Thailand for over 10 years and he says that he knows 1 persons out of hundreds who has had a successful marriage to a Thai. In my personal experience I know of about as many successes as he. I'm talking about marriages to Thais of all walks of life: bank tellers, office workers, nurses etc. I'm wondering why, for the life of me, why would anyone get married? I personally have been with the same girl for 5 years and I refuse to marry, much to my gf's chagrin. I asked her once who was more important to her, me or the family kwai; with a straight face she said the Kwai.

Sounds to me like you're extremely insecure, I knew my Thai wife 6 years before we married last May. We have a good business and are very happy, maybe if you asked your g/f to marry you, she'd refuse anyway. :o

• Like 1

Should I feed the troll? :o

Considering his topic title says "Near 99% According to Many" then goes on to say while talking to a guy, one has to wonder. Well, been with my wife for 12 years, and most I know are still with theirs - I don't buy it.

Should I feed the troll? :o

Considering his topic title says "Near 99% According to Many" then goes on to say while talking to a guy, one has to wonder. Well, been with my wife for 12 years, and most I know are still with theirs - I don't buy it.

Clearly you are being silly . . . the Op stated that many people had been spoken to: His friend and himself = 2 Two are more than one and that can be considered many.

If anything, the OP understated the percentage as 2 out of 2 = 100%

You guys need to go back to school and stop bullying kids who have 4 posts to their name. :D

I have met very few farang's with a successful long term relationship with a Thai. Certainly, some have stayed together for many years, but most of them don't seem very happy.

I've been with my g/f for almost two years but I have no plan of marrying anytime soon. You never know how we'll feel tomorrow. Why risk it?

And yes, in my experience the family ALWAYS comes first. This is not a troll, just someone making a very easy observation.

I know many happily married couples and of my friends I have yet to think of someone who has been through a divorce since I've known them, I guess it depends on who you hang around with. Although to be honest there isn't a massive age difference between most of them and they are quite settled into the family life, like myself.

Yawwwwnnnn....

I know several successful marriages, but I dont pretend to have a clue about the overall statistics - not that they would matter to me if I did. At the end of the day each couple is a different story altogether.

I asked her once who was more important to her, me or the family kwai; with a straight face she said the Kwai.

Maybe she miss understood you and thought you said "Me, the family, or d*ck" and she picked d*ck.

The man's on the ball! The 2 words are so similar that with the wrong pronunciation would exactly mean that. :o

Seriously though, I'm married 17 years, still going strong.

Somebody is trying to provoke again,no doubt a troll.Proberly has nothing better to do.

What about the young farang girls on Koh Samet who fall for the long haired thai bloke who works behind the bar? Many have gotten pregnant from these guys, now that's more of a 99% relationship failure :o

Yawwwwnnnn....

I know several successful marriages, but I dont pretend to have a clue about the overall statistics - not that they would matter to me if I did. At the end of the day each couple is a different story altogether.

Yes, all individuals are individual, all circumstances are distinct, therefore, no need to consider wider patterns.

Edited by jamman

Clearly you are being silly . . . the Op stated that many people had been spoken to: His friend and himself = 2 Two are more than one and that can be considered many.

Considered by who?

According to the OED, ' Many' is 'great in number, numerous'.

'Numerous' is 'comprising many units'.

Having said that the OED also states that 'Many' can be 'More or Most', when taken in its most literal sense you are probably correct, two is more than one, but taken in its normal usage I would suggest that two, as in more than one, shouldn't be classed as many or numerous.

And Tywais being silly, well I would certainly suggest not. :o

I would also suggest that the numbers in relation to failed marriages or relationships needs to be looked at in more depth, and for the reasons of failure to be clearly ascertained, as has been previously stated who would say that these same people would have failed relationships in any cross-cultural exchange or indeed one of similar background.

I have seen disasters in many western associations as well as Thai-Western relationships, but have seen more successes, I guess it is all down to who you are drawing your stats from.

Good Luck

Moss

Seems you have a bias.

Don't we all? :o

Some of us at the same time are open to adjusting our views based on testing our notions against our sensory experience and the examined testimonials of others. The scientific method brought people to the moon, while dogma never did. Yes, we are all biased, but relying on bias is religious. Openly, brazenly, proudly displaying bias is ignorance.

Edited by jamman

Surprises me that some take this serious,somebody comes in new and then comes up with this.Normally when you come new you will ask a normal question so people can help you out.

But this is to try to make a big topic again,like the arabian last time.Cause most of us are expats,many are married,and still think somebody is bored and is trying to provoke us.

relationships can go wrong everywhere and all the time,so if you can come with scientific numbers of proof,which there aren't any.What are you trying to talk about?

What's a failed marriage?

Is enjoying spending a few years with somebody considered a failure just because it ended?

I think any time spent happily with somebody is success,

I have recently got married to a Thai. We have already lived together happily for three years. I hope that our marriage can last the distance but even if it doesn't I wouldn't see it as a failure. I have enjoyed the ride.

Yawwwwnnnn....

Yes, all individuals are individual, all circumstances are distinct, therefore, no need to consider wider patterns.

That is not what I said. I said the statistics have no importance for how my own relationship develops - which is based on me, my partner and the circumstances surrounding us. Trends are just that, trends.

I know you have your own theories about Asians being emotionally undeveloped. I hope they help you become a happier man and more successful in your relations with others. I'd rather concentrate on working on the relation I am in than on what others are doing. It makes me happier.

Is enjoying spending a few years with somebody considered a failure just because it ended?

I have recently got married to a Thai. We have already lived together happily for three years. I hope that our marriage can last the distance but even if it doesn't I wouldn't see it as a failure. I have enjoyed the ride.

Good Post there Garro, I agree with that statement.

:o

Good Luck

Moss

Surprises me that some take this serious,somebody comes in new and then comes up with this.

I don't think anybody is going to be taken by surprize if the OP turns out to be posting from 'underneath a bridge', but it hardly matters on this occasion, as he is not hurting anybody in particular and if it stimulates good debate, who cares?

It is when they create a question that can dilute help for others who require advice, then that is a different matter altogether.

Good Luck

Moss

I agree with your point of view. It shows courage and joy de vivre and a free spirit and an indipendant point of view. Which is to say, I agree with your point of view.

99% would be pushing it a bit too far. If anything the failure rates should only be slightly higher, mostly because of the socio-economic differences that often feature in these relationships and the lack of family presence on the falang side to keep things in balance when things start going downhill. Failure is relative anyway... I'm sure folks could argue back and forth whether staying together in a loveless marriage is worth it or not (for the children, etc.).

:o

Yawwwwnnnn....

That is not what I said. I said the statistics have no importance for how my own relationship develops - which is based on me, my partner and the circumstances surrounding us. Trends are just that, trends.

I know you have your own theories about Asians being emotionally undeveloped. I hope they help you become a happier man and more successful in your relations with others. I'd rather concentrate on working on the relation I am in than on what others are doing. It makes me happier.

Ya, I'm all about looking at specifics also. I just don't understand the differences between specifics and wider patterns to be some sort of conflicting contrast. Statistics are full of wide differences, but that doesn't make seeing the big picture useless at all times. While grooving on a seashell, the sunset glows overhead clouds into pink emotion. Background never detracts, never contradicts.

It's all of a piece. Maybe crossword puzzlers are seeking integration.

Edited by jamman

Surprises me that some take this serious,somebody comes in new and then comes up with this.

I don't think anybody is going to be taken by surprize if the OP turns out to be posting from 'underneath a bridge', but it hardly matters on this occasion, as he is not hurting anybody in particular and if it stimulates good debate, who cares?

It is when they create a question that can dilute help for others who require advice, then that is a different matter altogether.

Good Luck

Moss

Who needs an advice, from a created question, what has no commonsense?

But it is allright though,I also not have to many to do today.